V1.5/1.6 - Scenario Review: LoW 19 - Costly Revenge

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

governor

V1.5/1.6 - Scenario Review: LoW 19 - Costly Revenge

Post by governor »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium and Hard 1.5.6
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Enjoyed it, except Cleodil's dialogue made me think it would be an elf bloodbath instead of a saurian bloodbath :)
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The sand made me lose a few lvl2's but the available experience more than made up for it.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make the ai more aggressive. New ai tends to run away too much, as if they arent interested in defending their homeland.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope.
taemyr

Re: Scenario Review: LoW 19 - Costly Revenge

Post by taemyr »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.5.8
4 easier than it looks, and I had a decent amount of gold. The snow is annoying, but it hurts the saurians even more.
Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear
Saurians having move 1 on sand and move 4 on frozen means that the scenario funnels the Ai units into the sand and good defence.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
No particular ideas.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
taemyr

Post by taemyr »

Hard, 1.5.8
2. Sylphs, saurians move 1 hex over snow, they just can't compete.
Clear
Clear
None
Have the sylphs and shydes refuse to participate.
No.
Bircoph

Post by Bircoph »

1.5.10+svn-r32867.

8. Due to rather long previous scenario I stared this one with 100 gold...

Clear.

Some more words of revenge at the beginning and last words of saurian leaders meanwhile.

To kill south leader ASAP in order to not allow him to spend all gold.

None.

Death of critical units...
Per aspera ad astra!
axelotl

Post by axelotl »

easy 1.6; hard 1.6.2

5 (on easy). 2 (on hard). A flyer in the recall list makes a huge difference.

Clear.

OK

On easy - getting a second Shyde for the assassination mission. On hard - none.

2. Beating the southern leader in a straight fight is hard (I haven't managed it) but assassinating him is easy.

Give the leaders some bodyguards?

The first time (on easy), I went straight for the southern leader and was massacred.
Don't axe a little. Axe a lottle.
Elyssaen

Post by Elyssaen »

Easy, 1.6.1.

6/10.

The snow is useful as while your elves are slow on it, it's the only terrain that saurians don't butcher you on. In fact, they're absolutely helpless on it. This was still quite a difficult and frustrating mission because the southern leader has to be fought on his terms. Assassinating him early on might be doable, but I wouldn't risk my shydes/sylphs on it.

Very clear.

Moderate. It didn't really feel like we were finishing off the core of the saurian forces, which was a failure of the dialogue. (It was said, but not really expressed, at least by the saurians themselves.) The story itself was frustrating – I didn't see why we had to fight the saurians at all.

Defeating the southern leader without having my forces picked apart by [censored] saurians. I don't think an overall failure could've happened, but after losing a few important units I just restarted the entire scenario and tried to do better.

5/10.

I've concluded, from playing Legend of Wesmere, that it is never fun to fight saurians – they're the only type of enemy that have bothered me. (Everyone else is too easy, and is reminding me that it's time to take of the training wheels and play above Easy.) However, the saving grace of this scenario is taking out the northern leader and butchering his saurians in the snow.

I'd make the saurians a little more interesting in their response, perhaps by having them call in reinforcements (although this would make it more difficult). I wouldn't use the same map as before.

Yes.

I restarted once or twice after mishaps led to the southern leader's saurian skirmishers cutting me apart.