09 - Bounty Hunters

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

09 - Bounty Hunters

Post by Content Feedback »

The Legend of Wesmere, scenario 9 - Bounty Hunters:

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
rmj

Re: V1.9/1.10 SP - Scenario Review: LoW 9 - Bounty Hunters

Post by rmj »

1. Version 1.9.3. Normal difficulty.
2. Difficulty depends on tactics. I made a run for the river, lost a lot of units, but won. However six or seven of my sixteen units were new recruits, so I began the next scenario with a good amount of money and plenty of veterans.
3.Very clear.
4.I don't recall much of it. Having played this twice on 1.8.4 I skim the dialog.
5.Discarding the strategy I used in playing the earlier version.
6.I did not attempt to fight the saurians, but simply ran. Considering the number of saurians, fighting did not seem an option. So the scenario was not that interesting. In the previous version I eliminated one of the enemy leaders, and then pretty much controlled the map. That was more fun.
7.See 6.
8.I tried attacking the saurians while moving Kalenz toward the river. Perhaps recruiting more units for such an approach would work, but I tried a dash to the river.
rmj
Renard

Post by Renard »

1. 1.9.5, Normal, most recently.
2. When I approached it thinking I could kill either or both of the Saurian leaders, I failed. Miserably. 10. OTOH, when I recruited sacrificial L1s and ran the leaders up to the river, it went fairly smoothly. 5, maybe 6.
3. Very clear.
4. The dialogue made me think for a moment that the Saurians would attack each other, but otherwise clear. Tells you exactly what you should do.
5. I simply got overpowered when I tried to bring the fight to the Saurians (with the intention of winning); they're just too powerful and numerous to neutralize before the sun sets, and with it, your hope. They also move fast enough that the first time I tried running Kalenz up with Cleodil and I didn't depart on the first turn, they got ZOC'd and stabbed to death.
6. 4, 5 at best. It sucks having a fight that you can't win, especially when the previous scenarios have all been grand slugfests. Escape missions are traditional to start with, and this one has a reason to exist, but it's still jarring to have give up and crushing your opponents when you've been doing it for several scenarios. That said, it is kind of fun figuring out how to use a new strategy, and having a truly deadly force right on your tail is hair-raising.
7. Nothing much to say. I guess I'm just too stupid to listen when they all say "They're far too many," "We can outrun them in the forest," etc.
8. Kalenz not being fast enough, see 5.
9. N/A
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

I don't know i this has been reported before (or if this is the correct forum), but when I move a unit into the river, the dialogue comes up for the sea serpents (at least that's what I assume there is), nothing happens.
Timshel
taptap

Re: V1.9/1.10 - 09 - Bounty Hunters

Post by taptap »

High Lord (difficult), recall list reduced by 12 (=all) L3/loyal units and auto-start with minimal gold - as I happened to had only few L2 fighter/archers left I didn't want to risk my high-level woses and rare enchantress / druids so I went with all fresh recruits (2 shaman, 2 wose, 6 fighters, 1 scout, 2 guardsmen, 1 dwarvish fighter). I finished on turn 8 with 13 losses and 2 kills, one turn more and the majority of 15 oracles (+ a variety of other saurians of all kinds and levels) would have been all around the crucial units that were directly south of the river. I like it very much that you have to run, but as both ZoC and high defense doesn't help, they end up killing everyone within reach within seconds and there isn't much I could do to change that.

This scenario must have been buffed recently or else I would feel like a beginner again who after stumbling ill-prepared into the Valley of Death reads the reviews about how people beat one or all leaders with ease.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
DanChem

Post by DanChem »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Easy (1.10.4).
Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear and interesting.
I played it on an older version before I think. But running involved more fighting than before (which is good, by the way). I predicted it to go to smooth and pulled out my left over good units, expecting I can prevent them from dying. I couldn't mostly, so saving some from death made it harder for me.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10); (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
With all the units I lost 6. But realistically speaking, it is a good scenario, to balance the campaign, which was too easy before.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I am still thinking, whether I should restart it, recruiting more units and using less veterans in the rerun, but as it is: No, there wasn't.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
I didn't take a look.
pentolino

Post by pentolino »

Version 1.10.7 - easy and medium
easy - 3 / hard 10+ (couldn't beat it without cheating)
perfectly clear
Ok, not much to say there
Running is never an option, the saurian always catch me and ZOC-lock me; on medium with just 260 gold I saw no way of crushing the western foe (too many heavy hitting magicians)
easy - 7 / medium 1
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
a lot more gold at medium level, since you do not carry any from previous scenario, so you can fight the western leader
Constantly surrounded by saurians at night perhaps?

I mean, it seems impossible to me at medium level and none of the recommendations in the strategy guide goes even close to go past this scenario; as I wrote if you run you get caught between the two forces and the sea creature, there is no way to be faster than them (only Cleodil is fast enough), you can't have enough shamans to slow a million saurians and there is no decent defensive position bacause of magic. 260 gold means you can have just 13 veterans, plus one or two loyals (the rest is away until Human Alliance) or a few more 1st level which will be dead before sunrise. Ah I forgot, if you somehow get past a million saurian you can jump in the water against sea serpents and poison throwing beasts, piece of cake.
Has it been made far harder in 1.10?
Elfarion

Post by Elfarion »

I have the same problem. I really enjoy playing LoW on medium, but this is the only scenario that I only beat by cheating. "Costly Revenge" is a walk in the park compared to this one.
"Each of mankind's steps towards tomorrow is a breaking of today's laws."
- Sergej Lukianenko
Kingslayer

Post by Kingslayer »

Crystal

Not much story, just run.

Skirmishers

Moving the saurians slightly back, or having much less chasing you but a group trying to ambush you on the other side, so you have to fight, say, 4 skirmishers to win the scenario

Tried to put up a fight. That went well. Not.
dabber

Post by dabber »

1.10.7, hard. Earlier versions on medium or hard

10. I've played through this entire campaign and various other campaigns and no scenario has been as frustratingly difficult as this one.

Perfect

Clear dialog, average interest.

Fast skirmishers!!!

1. Probably my least favorite scenario period.

Fewer Saurians at once. Or some option to fight. Fighting is suicide now.

The whole scenario had me restarting multiple times. I only won by buying a few Dwarf guardsmen and forming them into a suicide line to buy an extra turn. I still had to reload saved games repeatedly.
vicente

Post by vicente »

dabber wrote:
Fewer Saurians at once. Or some option to fight. Fighting is suicide now.

The whole scenario had me restarting multiple times. I only won by buying a few Dwarf guardsmen and forming them into a suicide line to buy an extra turn. I still had to reload saved games repeatedly.

Hi, dabber, in my hands, this scenario is playable, providing that you have a few level 2 woses. It would be nice to have a couple of about to level units to block the corners during the first night.

I did have a bad luck once when the AI recruited a lot of oracles and I could not kill them in time before the first night. :augh:
pentolino

Post by pentolino »

vicente wrote:
Hi, dabber, in my hands, this scenario is playable, providing that you have a few level 2 woses. It would be nice to have a couple of about to level units to block the corners during the first night.
Thanks for the hints; just to be clear, are the woses and about to level units to be sacrified? I don't see how they could survive when tens of saurians surround them. Also woses easily fall down under oracles blows.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level, version, and gold? Hard, 1.11.15, 230 starting gold (the minimum.)
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 5, not hard if you realize you need to run like hell.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? It says Kalenz is able to recruit dwarves from now on, but he couldn't. Only Olurf can. If that's what you mean, then maybe clarify the dialog, something like, "From now on, Olurf can recruit dwarves for Kalenz."
(5) Challenges? I decided to recruit 3 Dwarvish Guardsmen, 2 Rangers, 4 Elder Woses, 1 Ancient Wose, 1 Elvish Fighter, and 1 Elvish Archer. The Guardsmen and Elvish Fighter were sacrificial rear guards that ran north behind my criticals. The rest were guerrilla forces, intended to draw a managable number of units south, where they were to be slaughtered. I don't think the Ranger and Wose guerrillas wound up helping Kalenz, but at least they got some XP safely, including a couple of L3 kills.

In response to the above post, Wose can just hide if they get wounded or outnumbered. ("Ambush" ability.) The enemy will only go where he can see that there are enemy troops or villages lacking his flag.

I gotta say, Landar knows what he is talking about. He told me not to trust Olurf, and Olurf failed to show up last scenario. Trust no dwarf! And here, Landar said to run like hell, and that was life-saving advice, or at least save-reloading-saving advice. I've played the campaign before, though, so I know what's coming.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 7, not bad for a run-like-hell scenario.
(7) Changes? See #4.
(8) Restarts? No, I won the first time. No save-reloads here or at any time previous in the campaign.
Attachments
LoW-Bounty_Hunters_replay.gz
(100.55 KiB) Downloaded 759 times
Last edited by Maiklas3000 on June 26th, 2014, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Maiklas3000 wrote:It says Kalenz is able to recruit dwarves from now on, but he couldn't. Only Olurf can. If that's what you mean, then maybe clarify the dialog, something like, "From now on, Olurf can recruit dwarves for Kalenz.
This has been changed to make it more clear that only Olurf can recruit dwarves.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Original Post (version 1.10)
Spoiler:
(1) Level and version? Hard, 1.12.4, 220 gold (minimum)
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 8 - not sure if it's been changed, but it seems easier now.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? Creating enough of a distraction in the north so the saurians don't reach Kalenz.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 5, it's okay.
(7) Changes? Seems fine.
(8) Restarts? one (from beginning) due to Kalenz getting killed. Need some sacrificial units as distractions in the north.
Finished turn 8/24
Attachments
LoW-Bounty_Hunters_replay.gz
wesnoth 1.12.4 / hard
(86.96 KiB) Downloaded 753 times
Last edited by Inky on September 19th, 2015, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.