06 - Acquaintance in Need

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

06 - Acquaintance in Need

Post by Content Feedback »

The Legend of Wesmere, scenario 6 - Acquaintance in Need:

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
taptap

Re: V1.9/1.10 - 06 - Acquaintance in Need

Post by taptap »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

1.10.1, High Lord (hard), something like infinite gold

Pretty clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

This one is ok.

Playing careful, not being too greedy and underrecruit.

8 - Wose vs. troll combat is fun. Although I probably should have spent more time levelling shamans now that I finally can recruit some instead of putting XP into woses, but woses are just too much fun.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

If you move Cleodil next to a poisoned dwarf lord, the dwarf lord should stay. Another strange thing is when the AI has a forest and a forested hill hex to attack a certain unit but chooses the plain forest hex.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
DanChem

Post by DanChem »

Easy (1.10.4), 2552 Gold, older elves mostly on level 3, woses on level 2 with one level three exception.
1 or 2.
Clear.
Clear, medium interesting.
None. Distributing experience on units who can still gain some maybe. There was no unit even close to being seriously hurt. I even recruited a shaman just to have a unit I could advance.
Well I had fun despite the missing challenge. So 7 or 8.
I can't understand why I would need these huge masses of gold. It could become a bit more fun with either stronger trolls and a much reduced amount of gold or a much stricter time limit. (Maybe 15 or 20 instead of 35 rounds).
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
I haven't looked.
Ninjamestari

Post by Ninjamestari »

1.10.7 Hard
Perfectly clear.
Dialog is well written just like before. The story is ok.
No major challenges. Maximizing experience gain might be a little complicated with the dwarves around.
I only lost a couple low-level units and got some good experience. Kalenz came very close to dying once but that was by my mistake.
It was pretty fun, especially after two Saurian scenarios.
Perhaps the troll boss could be changed to a great troll like in chapter 2, he was a bit tougher if I remember correctly.
Nope.
Attachments
LoW-Acquaintance_in_Need_replay.gz
(56.8 KiB) Downloaded 937 times
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level, version, and gold? Hard, 1.11.15, 1541 starting gold.
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 5, I just steam-rollered them.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? The enemy presented a nice line, but it was too sparse. It's sort of like the opposite of the situation we're in usually. Here, instead of facing overwhelming odds, we are the horde. It didn't feel like I recruited too many units. I ended with decent positive gold income, and I start the next scenario with 702 gold. Shrug.

(6) Fun? (1-10) 8, sometimes it's fun to have an easy win.

There was a funny situation with a poisoned ally:
"Help! I'm poisoned! Has anyone seen a druid around here?!"
"Help! I'm poisoned! Has anyone seen a druid around here?!"
This poisoned Dwarvish Runesmith ran between two druids. He was headed for a distant enemy village. He was faster than my druids in hills, so I couldn't help him.

(7) Changes? You could increase enemy gold on hard. The trolls came in managable bite sizes. I surrounded each one and killed it. Once the trolls merged with the orcs, they were much more formidable. The trolls need more Whelps, to keep the player from being able to slow, surround, and kill his big trolls at will. If the troll would recruit nothing but Whelps the first round, that would help him tremendously, I think. Then the 4 MP Whelps and the 5 MP Trolls would arrive at the front together.
(8) Restarts? No restarts. No save-reloads.
Attachments
(91.52 KiB) Downloaded 794 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Original post (version 1.10.4)
Spoiler:
(1) Level and version? Hard, 1.12.4, 1607 starting gold
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 3
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? Not much, pretty easy scenario.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 7
(7) Changes? Seems fine as is.
(8) Restarts? None.

Finished turn 21/25
Attachments
wesnoth 1.12.4 / hard
(84.55 KiB) Downloaded 828 times
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

(1) Level and version?
1.12.5, medium, 2192 starting gold.

(2) Difficult? (1-10)
3. Nice and easy.

(3) Objectives?
Clear.

(4) Dialog?
Dialog is good, storyline... I'm not really sold on this idea that taking a roundabout trek through the hills is the best way to reach Wesmere.

(5) Challenges?
Nothing really.

(6) Fun? (1-10)
7. I quite liked it. The map and the number of enemies give off the impression of a big battle while it is actually not as stressful as dealing with saurians.

(7) Changes?
It's fine as it is.

(8) Restarts?
Nope.

Details:
-I began by recalling three lvl2 units, recruiting 2 fighters, an archer and 3 shamans so I can level them up and making a line near the 1st enemy; enemy leader left the keep and I killed him on the 3rd turn, advancing a loyal marksman to a sharpshooter
-dwarves helped out a lot with the 1st enemy, especially considering that my units kept missing when I needed them to hit; I focused on slowing potentially dangerous units (and feeding kills to shamans; that didn't work though); on the 5th turn I wiped out the 1st army
-I waited until the night ends to go after the trolls (but I did use a shyde to slow down one of them and put out a champion- they were supposed to lure out the trolls from the mountains)

-on the 7th turn loyal scout becomes a rider and I start moving my army north; trolls don't attack me, going mostly after the dwarves in the mountains; on the 8th each of my 3 shamans gets a kill (2 trolls and a whelp)
-on the 10th turn a shaman becomes a druid and on the next turn I attack the 2nd enemy leader, slowing him and finishing him 2 turns after; most of the dwarves are gone (except the 2 dwarves that became runesmiths during the battle) so a part of the northern army is starting to attack me
-I sent the dwarf leader out of his keep so he can't recruit anymore (dwarves are just going to steal the kills otherwise); I thought he'd stay there and forgot about him so he went back and recruited anyways

-13th turn: Kalenz -> champion, druid -> shyde, shaman -> druid; the 2nd enemy army is gone and so is the dwarvish one
-turn 14: a loyal scout becomes rider; an enchantress is fighting against 2 crossbowmen on the east
-on the 16th turn marskman -> sharpshooter; on the 18th enchantress kills crossbowmen; hero -> champion, fighter -> captain, archer -> marksman; northern army is mostly gone
-on the 20th turn fighter -> captain; enemy leader exits the keep and is slowed the next turn by a shaman who advances to a sorceress
-22nd turn: all enemies killed

Stats: 2192 starting gold, 2245 end gold, 27/27 villages, 22/30 turns, 29 income, 6 recruits, 3 recalls, 13 advancements, 0 losses, 47 kills, +1% dmg dealt, +2% dmg received
I managed to level up all of the new recruits so I'm very happy with the results.
Attachments
(74.52 KiB) Downloaded 754 times
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Hard.
Clear
Clear, having the dwarves is an interesting change
Not much
Enemies coming from the far end of the map arrive too sparsely to constitute a threat. It's too easy to take on each of them with several of my units.
No
-
troomar

Post by troomar »

(1) Level and version? High Lord (Challenging), no reloads. Version 1.13.6.
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 11.
(3) Objectives? In the note it is said I should save dwarven leveled units. But how can I do it if I don't control them?
(4) Dialog? I don't mind the dialogues.
(5) Challenges? Ok, that's it. I quit. The dwarven leader is a suicidal unit running in the middle of enemies. I can't protect him (I really tried) with elves. He just outruns me.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 0. It's not fun protecting a suicidal unit you can't control.
(7) Changes? Give me something to manage the dwarf leader. Make it a second player-driven side as it was in Ka'lian under Attack map. Or make him passive, defensive, immortal, whatever. The rest of the map is fine. I was able to kill the first leader, I had a line of leveled units and I was pushing the other leaders. I would win easily.
(8) Restarts? Once. The second restart didn't happen, because I quit the campaign.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

troomar wrote:(5) Challenges? Ok, that's it. I quit. The dwarven leader is a suicidal unit running in the middle of enemies. I can't protect him (I really tried) with elves. He just outruns me.
Wasn't there supposed to be a right click option to tell Olurf to move to a specific hex? Did that get removed in 1.13 for some reason? If so, I hope they put it back.

Anyway, it shouldn't be that hard to quickly send your elves through the forest to Olurf's keep to help defend there? You could also try my favorite tactic of recruiting some fodder units like shamans and send them into the enemy army to distract them away from Olurf. ;)
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Wasn't there supposed to be a right click option to tell Olurf to move to a specific hex? Did that get removed in 1.13 for some reason? If so, I hope they put it back.
The 1.13 code of that campaign clearly has the code to let you help the allied leader https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... d.cfg#L279, so if it doesn't work it's a bug.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Hestelvar

Re: 06 - Acquaintance in Need

Post by Hestelvar »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Solider (Easy)
Starting Gold 2228
2. I didn’t recruit, yet felt almost surplus to requirements.
Perfectly clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?
Excellent. Always nice to be reunited with characters. Perhaps there could be more justification for the detour through the mountains?
Not letting the dwarfs get all the fun and experience.
(7) What, if any, are the changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Give the enemies more gold - with so much starting gold the player can afford to recruit. Alternatively start without a keep, so defeating the southern orc leader becomes a priority at higher difficulty levels.
None.
N/a
Remarks:
I didn’t recruit and left the southern orc leader to the dwarfs. I couldn’t issue instructions to Olurf by right clicking on him. I thought this feature had been introduced?
Attachments
LoW-Acquaintance in Need replay.gz
(49.11 KiB) Downloaded 546 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.3, High Lord (Challenging)

Clear.

Clear.

Keeping some of my suicidal allies alive.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
(62.38 KiB) Downloaded 393 times
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 7:15 am The Legend of Wesmere, scenario 6 - Acquaintance in Need:

Wesnoth 1.14.11, High Lord (Challenging), no reloading during campaign, played the scenario probably at least twice
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 7:15 am (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
1. Due to mass gold from treasury this cant possibly be lost without intent or major screwup.
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 7:15 am (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear. It says sth like "let leveled dwarves survive" - I think this is either outright false or bugged.
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 7:15 am (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Ok.
--
The elves gold management is really bad. How can they lose 60% per battle. Do their elves steal the rest? Do they have gold-eating rats? Or do they transport it in barrels with holes? Or rephrasing that: The lose-60% is (AFAIK) a technical crutch. It shouldnt be elevated to modeling the handling of the gold from the treasury.
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 7:15 am (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 7:15 am (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
2. Only challenge is gold conservation. I would prefer it if gold conservation would never be relevant.
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 7:15 am (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Dont dump the treasure into the campaign gold pot.
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 7:15 am (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
(66.16 KiB) Downloaded 247 times