Scenario Review: (UTBS) 5. A Subterranean Struggle

Feedback for the mainline campaign Under the Burning Suns.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

shadow12

Re: Scenario Review: (UTBS) 5. A Subterranean Struggle

Post by shadow12 » December 17th, 2015, 9:44 am

1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on? Please do not submit feedback from pre 1.4.
Challenging, 1.0.4. (iOS)

2) Do you think the difficulty is adequate to the level? If not describe the issue that made the scenario to easy/hard.
It was just right.

3) Was there any event that caused you to almost instantly loose, or made the scenario unplayable without reload?
Restarted a couple times when a key unit got killed. I underestimated the trolls.

4) Do you like the storyline and the dialogues? If not what part/character lags behind or what would you like changed?
It is well constructed.

5) Do you think the scenario was fun? Please write down some thoughts about gameplay, mood etc.

It was fun. I like being able to make a choice that affects the rest of the scenario. I picked the dwarves simply because I am more familiar with playing them. I thought they would have an advantage in this terrain and they have a vast knowledge of the underground tunnels. I think most people will chose a side based on who they beleive will help them win.

4/5 dwarves were alive at the end. Hopefully I can recall them later, dwarves are my favorite unit.
Spoiler:
It is important to get through the spider den as fast as you can, get to the dwarf castle and start recalling/recruiting. After the big wave of trolls subsided, I split into 2 groups and went south. The Shydes gave most of the killing blows, so I now have 3 bright Desert Stars.

I started with about 616 gold. Ended with negative gold because I needed to recruit sacrificial lambs to protect my important units. I finished only 4 turns early. Trolls are a tough enemy and it was a long game. Hope the next scenario is a little easier on the wallet.

*Edit: The price to buy new recruits went up for me in the next scenario, I am guessing because I ended with negative gold. This should be added somewhere in the objectives so people know. I would have changed my strategy. Recalling units remained the same at 20 gold. In the next scenario, I did ok with the minimum starting gold and recalling. Not sure what the reasoning is for increasing the price of new recruits.
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.

Inky

Post by Inky » February 26th, 2016, 4:42 am

1) Level, version, gold? 1.12.5 nightmare, 603 starting gold
2) Adequately difficult? 8/10 - becomes much easier if you manage to block up the two bridge bottlenecks north of the keep (In order to do this, you must not scout ahead with units besides Kaleh, or you'll trigger the dwarves/trolls too early). If you don't make it in time to do this, it would be a 10/10.
3) Reloads? One from start. I scouted ahead with Zhul, which triggered the dwarves/trolls...while Kaleh was in the middle of nowhere (several turns away from the keep). The castle was surrounded by dwarves by the time I got there and it went downhill from there.
4) Dialog? I feel like the trolls in this campaign speak too intelligently for trolls.
5) Fun? It was fun the second time through, when I learned NOT to scout ahead with Zhul. I think this should be changed as scouting ahead is the logical thing to do but doing so here puts you in a very bad position.
One possible solution: Changing some of the cave hexes at the beginning to flat hexes would help Kaleh catch up to Zhul and reach the keep faster.

I sided with the trolls, because Grog is a much more awesome unit than some lame dwarf.
Attachments
UtBS-A_Subterranean_Strug..._replay.gz
(76.03 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

minemax

Post by minemax » November 14th, 2016, 7:29 am

1) v. 1.12.6. Normal difficulty.
2) *Not* adequate. The level seems insanely hard/impossible. The enemy is too strong, easily destroying even my level 3 units.
3) The dialogue (choose the side) triggered too early. As a result, even getting to the base is not that easy.
4) It's ok.
5) Not fun at all. I'm quite disappointed with the campaign (which I had thought to be of a very high quality) because of this level.

UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl » April 6th, 2017, 11:36 am

1) Version? 1.13.7, Challenging (new elves)

2) Adequately difficult? Yeah, this one is pretty hard, actually, I even lost a unit! The difficulty here is good, particularly once you ally gets wiped off the map in the West.

3) Reloads? No, surprisingly. I put Nym in some dicey spots but she's a lucky girl.

4) Dialog? It would be nice to have the 'wounded dwarf' having low HP. Show don't tell, you know?
When I triggered the Dwarves and Trolls I'd already walked all the way to the keep, so having Kaleh tell me that it was 'right in front' of me when he was standing on it was a bit odd. Maybe this event should interrupt movement when it fires so that the player can't already be on the keep, or maybe it should be adjusted to just say 'let's use this keep' etc
I took the Troll branch, of course, so I can only comment on that.
When the dwarves turn up to throw the grenades, if there's already units where the fake unit walks to it does this strange little teleport thing. Looks weird. Can't think of an easy way around that.
My allied trolls are named after the Marx brothers, but don't do anything hilarious. That's an opportunity missed, I think ;)

5) Fun? Yes, this is probably as fun as a dungeon crawl with elves can be. I hate dungeon crawls with elves, but thankfully this one doesn't drag on.
Attachments
UtBS-A_Subterranean_Struggle_replay.gz
(66.26 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.

Thrash

Post by Thrash » March 18th, 2018, 2:23 am

1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on? Please do not submit feedback from pre 1.4.

1.12.6, Challenging (medium), siding with Trolls.

2) Do you think the difficulty is adequate to the level? If not describe the issue that made the scenario to easy/hard.

Yes, challenging but not impossible.

3) Was there any event that caused you to almost instantly loose, or made the scenario unplayable without reload?

I underestimated the combination of a dwarf leader hitting all three times and a lucky cannoneer and lost some key unit so I save reloaded.

4) Do you like the storyline and the dialogues? If not what part/character lags behind or what would you like changed?

Yes, very good.

5) Do you think the scenario was fun? Please write down some thoughts about gameplay, mood etc.

Yes, another good scenario. Challenging but not ridiculous. I like the sudden choice of allies and some of the previous discussion which sets it up.

Like someone else on this thread, when the troll allies showed up it took me a couple of turns to realize I controlled them ("hmmm, why are they just standing there?")

I spend some time needlessly exploring my troll ally space, maybe just make the ally space visible once you pick?
Attachments
UtBS-A_Subterranean_Str..._replay.gz
(86.52 KiB) Downloaded 47 times