Version 0.4.5

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

miyo

Re: quit

Post by miyo »

gandalf wrote: Have I missed it, or is there a button to quit the game while playing a scenario? Otherwise, that would be nice to have in 0.4.6 version.
http://www.ventu.info/wesnoth/?WesnothManual

'esc' to exit game (from main menu that is, in sce.nario it exits the scenario - after confirmation dialog).

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave wrote:@miyo: I will look at adding some benchmarking.
Added to WesnothToDo (minor).

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

miyo wrote:
gandalf wrote: Have I missed it, or is there a button to quit the game while playing a scenario? Otherwise, that would be nice to have in 0.4.6 version.
http://www.ventu.info/wesnoth/?WesnothManual

'esc' to exit game (from main menu that is, in sce.nario it exits the scenario - after confirmation dialog).

- Miyo
Maybe if you press 'escape' there should be three options - don't quit, quit to main menu, quit game...

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave wrote: Maybe if you press 'escape' there should be three options - don't quit, quit to main menu, quit game...
I think it is enough if 'esc' in scenario exits to main menu and 'esc' again exits game. But that is my opinion only *grin*

- Miyo
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

The game runs as fast as always here (Debian Sid, 1.2Ghz AMD, 512 RAM)
miyo wrote:Added to WesnothToDo (minor).
The Wesnoth TODO is a great idea ;)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

ettin wrote:The game runs as fast as always here (Debian Sid, 1.2Ghz AMD, 512 RAM)
miyo wrote:Added to WesnothToDo (minor).
The Wesnoth TODO is a great idea ;)
Yes it is - maybe we should also have a WesnothBugs?
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave wrote: Yes it is - maybe we should also have a WesnothBugs?
Added WesnothBugs to Wiki
miyo

Post by miyo »

miyo wrote: Do we use both normal and medium to define the difficulty level between hard and easy?

scenario01.cfg:#ifdef MEDIUM
scenario01.cfg:#ifdef MEDIUM
scenario02.cfg:#ifdef MEDIUM
scenario03.cfg:#ifdef NORMAL
scenario03.cfg:#ifdef NORMAL
scenario04.cfg:#ifdef NORMAL

In Scenario 2 number of turns is defined by difficulty level...

- Miyo

ps. I did report this at 0.4.3 and ask if this was fixed at 0.4.4 (as it was not in Changelog)
Dave wrote: @miyo: yeah sorry you did report that. I thought it was done, but it wasn't...
Added to WesnothBugs

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I play-tested this version scenarios 1 through 10 myself, on 'Hero' (medium) difficulty.

It did crash twice during scenario 7:

- once I had loaded a saved game, made some moves, then quit to the main menu and loaded another saved game
- once I had played a little, quitted to the main menu, loaded a game, played a little, and then tried to save it, it crashed trying to save it.

I suspect these crashes are related, and I suspect they are related to playing then quitting to the main menu then loading a game. I wasn't able to diagnose the exact problem though.

Other than these problems, I had no stability problems or problems with saved games at all.

Scenario 2 is still rather easy on medium difficulty. Scenario 3 is much easier with the new cage of mermen in the south-east, although I can imagine how one could still struggle on this scenario if they squandered too many mermen.

Scenario 4 is really a light snack between scenarios, which isn't a bad thing in itself.

I am thinking of giving the enemies Goblin Knights in scenario 5, since this would make them a little tougher. Scenario 5 is actually meant to be rather challenging - a truly big challenge without the aid of Delfador.

Scenario 6 is lots of fun, and is more challenging with Li'sar not surrendering until she runs out of hitpoints.

I used the strategy Dorgendubal used in scenario 7: storm the south-western castle very early, in the first day, and capture it. Then make that your base, and defend it against the other two foes.

One gameplay problem I noticed with the white mages who arrive with Li'sar, and the white mage in scenario 4 is that players who know they will leave at the end of the scenario can use them as cannon fodder, very aggressively attacking enemies with them. I'm not sure of a good solution to this - they could be made AI controlled, or there could be some bonus for keeping them alive (or we could decide it's acceptable the way it is).

I got a Mage of Light during scenario 7, but lost him during the same level, with which I was very annoyed :) (I hate wraiths!) He was my only major loss though, and I had two paladins, and two arch mages by the end of the scenario.

After scenario 7, I was short on cash the rest of the way, even with the 100 gold minimum to start a scenario. There aren't enough villages in scenario 8 to get much money. You're meant to get the normal gold bonus for finishing scenario 9 early, but you don't in 0.4.5. I'm going to fix that. In many ways, it was good to see gold as king instead of experience being what one strives after all the time.

I finished scenario 9 using lots of mermen, and suffered no losses except for a couple of mermen. I'd imagine it'd be difficult to finish the scenario without loss using few or no mermen.

Originally I thought that gryphon riders would be powerful in scenario 9, but playing it, I realized that the player realistically, isn't going to have enough money to have the luxury of buying them. Three mermen will serve you far better than a gryphon rider.

I am considering making it so that at the end of scenario 7 (or perhaps mid way through when she first arrives), Li'sar brings some gold with her, perhaps 300 pieces, which you get when you finish the level. (Perhaps we could find a way to make it dependent upon how many white mages survive).

Also in scenario 7, if Li'sar dies, you lose, however it doesn't state this in the scenario objectives - because the player isn't meant to know she's even in the scenario until half way through. I am probably going to make it so that the scenario objectives can be changed half way through the level.

Scenario 10 is interesting, but is probably going to requie some balancing. The mountain trolls are too powerful, and definitely shouldn't have 70% defense in mountains. These are big, slow creatures, and are meant to be easy to hit.

There's also not enough time to finish the scenario, the top leader has far far too much gold, once he gets activated, and the scenario will almost certainly be finished by killing both enemy leaders, rather than move Konrad to the end of the path, as is the stated objective of the scenario.

I haven't gotten to play scenario 11 yet, but looking at it briefly, I think it'd be too much of a pushover considering the army I have. But....I haven't tried it yet, so I will have to see.

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

Difficulty: Champion (hard)

Scenario 1 is better finished as fast as you can (run for your life and escape)... you are left with some additional gold from finishing early.

Scenario 2, finished few turns in advance with one Hero and soon-to-be-Heroes not much additional gold for next level

Scenario 3, hard. Previously I was able to stand outside the castle and recruit/recall 3 units per turn - now only two (as Konrad has to stay in castle). Anyway with little additional gold from previous scenario (because of difficulty levle) that fourth castle tile is not really needed. The fight for victory continues.

I would not yet make Champion easier... it is supposed to be hard.

- Miyo

Post by Guest »

I'm going to try a game on Champion difficulty soon.

Note that the first three scenarios are the only ones which are differentiated with respect to difficulty.

However if scenario n-1 is more difficult, scenario n will automatically be more difficult, since you will start the scenario with less troops and gold.

The idea of Champion is to be very, very challenging. For seasoned strategy game players. The conditions for it being made easier would only be if after much trying, it is found that the only way to beat it is by playing in a way that is outside the spirit of the game. (Or if it is virtually impossible to beat it at all).

David