First Wesnoth 1.0 release candidate

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Well, I am currently using Mac 10.2.8, so I would appreciate if 1.0 supported that.

Still, if I'm the only one, I'll understand. I can't demand special treatment, after all!

Oh, and Wesnoth 1.0rc1 does seem to be working on my Mac 10.2.8. So thanks for working to ensure that, Sithrandel!

If I come across any difficulties, though, I'll mention it.
Grignr

Post by Grignr »

Sithrandel wrote:Sithrandel Mac Binary is now at:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wesn ... g?download

It would be very helpful to hear from any Mac users still using 10.2.8 as to whether this works. If it turns out there aren't any 10.2.8 users left then it would make sense to increase the minimum requirements to 10.3 :)
I'm a 10.2.1 user myself, and I'd definitely appreciate if future releases continued to support OS 10.2.x (thanks for supporting it thus far!). I'd be happy to test your 1.0rc1 build for 10.2.x compatibility, though I'm on dialup and 51.4 MB is an enormous download for my connection. Is there a smaller 1.0rc1 build available (lwa's?) that's designed to work on 10.2.x?
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

Grignr wrote:I'm a 10.2.1 user myself, and I'd definitely appreciate if future releases continued to support OS 10.2.x (thanks for supporting it thus far!). I'd be happy to test your 1.0rc1 build for 10.2.x compatibility, though I'm on dialup and 51.4 MB is an enormous download for my connection. Is there a smaller 1.0rc1 build available (lwa's?) that's designed to work on 10.2.x?
Have you checked if my lite version at ftp://victor.teaser.fr/pub/lwa/wesnoth/ ... 1_lite.dmg
is working on 10.2 ? It's 23 Mb. If it does not work, please report the console output if any.

It's not compiled with 10.2.8 SDK but care have been done to not use post 10.2 symbols. If it does not work, I'll could send you a 1.2Mb binary compiled with the SDK to copy in the bundle with the terminal.

My build and Sithandel should merge some day anyway, and you can expect smaller disk images when this append.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

@lwa
It would be nice, if you could post 2 things:
1) The projectfile you are using.
2) The List of bugs you fixed.
I don't know, if you fixed any bugs that actually exist for all platforms, but it would be good to check this. Simply give a link to the file or post it here in the forum. I really dislike it when you say "Fixed several bugs" but do not state which ones and a way to find out how you did. Since this project is licensed under the GPL, you should publish your changes.
Greets,
Nils Kneuper aka Ivanovic

PS: I think posting these two things is at least needed so that the two builds can be merged.
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

ivanovic wrote:@lwa
It would be nice, if you could post 2 things:
1) The projectfile you are using.
2) The List of bugs you fixed.
I don't know, if you fixed any bugs that actually exist for all platforms, but it would be good to check this. Simply give a link to the file or post it here in the forum. I really dislike it when you say "Fixed several bugs" but do not state which ones and a way to find out how you did. Since this project is licensed under the GPL, you should publish your changes.
Greets,
Nils Kneuper aka Ivanovic

PS: I think posting these two things is at least needed so that the two builds can be merged.
The full sources of the project and the changes list are included in the build image itself since the beginning. Most of the changes fix Sithandel's build (make project work, reconnect menus, some intenationalization, better compression, cleanup, etc.). I even pulibshed a early version of project separatly in Developper discussion forum.

Theyre is only 2 wesnoth patchs
I've posted one in savannah 2 week ago but didn't get any reply
https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?func ... em_id=4400

The second is a quick and dirty fix to bug
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func= ... m_id=13997
The fix is implementation specific, the real patch would require more C++ knownledge I have and may broke the 1.0 string freeze. As nobody anwsered the bug report, I didn't open a full discussion about this.
wisdomless

Post by wisdomless »

Dave wrote: Did you simply copy the files over? If you did that, it might not have affected the modification time of the files, and thus not reset Wesnoth's cache. Make a small change to one cfg file and try restarting, to make sure. Or delete the cache directory.
David
Alrighty... How do I delete the cache? Where is it?
If stupidity got me into this, it should get me out.

Most pointless statement of the year award goes to me!
"People are lazy unless they care."
I'd like to thank unsung for this award... and all the people who helped make this possible...
Franck

Post by Franck »

Hi. I'm still using MacOs 10.2.8, but I understand it could be difficult to maintain a version for old system !
That say, thanks to you Sithrandel for all your efforts to give a good experience to Mac users, and of course, a lot of thanks to all developpers of Wesnoth for this incredible good game and "bravo" to bring this game to this version 1.

Edit :
The RC1 seems to work fine on 10.2.8 (on Rise of Wesnoth).
muxec

Post by muxec »

Would there be lite version of Windows and source 1.0? Would there be 7zip archieved version to save bandwidth? Some people still use dialup, you know...
Linux Penguin is coming to your computer. The Source is with him.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

muxec wrote:Would there be lite version of Windows and source 1.0? Would there be 7zip archieved version to save bandwidth? Some people still use dialup, you know...
Sorry, but we are not this sure that the algorythm used for 7zip is this sane. It could be that there are problems, because this often happens with compression algorythms.
I don't know about the lite version for windows. This depands on Sirp. But we once decided against the lite-version of the sources, because there were only about 60 people downloading these compared to ~6000 downloading the full sources. So it would only mean 1%. And you should not forget, that it is some extra work. But instead we do ship XDelta patches for the sources and for the Windows version. If you once downloaded a file, you only need to download <1MB next time. I think this is a lot better, than having to download a lite-version all the time.
Xytan

Bug in Mac-version

Post by Xytan »

i hate to say it. but there’s a (very small) bug in the mac-version. it was there already in 0.9.6. don’t know if i saw it earlier.

if you attack an enemy without going near to it first (you stand some fields away and click on the enemy to go there and attack) and then kill that guy it sometimes happens that the black unknown does not disappear immediately. you see the cities in view-range right after the kill, but nothing else.
if you move the mouse over the landscape it gets visible. (looks ugly because you see the hard black edges of the hexes where it’s still black)
i think if you click somewhere it reveals all.

it seems to happen only if you can not see your enemy completely when you attack. i am sorry that i can’t be clearer here but i saw that in the middle of a hot campaign and forgot to pay enough attention to it so that i could describe it here :(

so it should be only a forget-to-update somewhere.
Ankka

Re: Bug in Mac-version

Post by Ankka »

Xytan wrote:i hate to say it. but there’s a (very small) bug in the mac-version. it was there already in 0.9.6. don’t know if i saw it earlier.

if you attack an enemy without going near to it first (you stand some fields away and click on the enemy to go there and attack) and then kill that guy it sometimes happens that the black unknown does not disappear immediately. you see the cities in view-range right after the kill, but nothing else.
if you move the mouse over the landscape it gets visible. (looks ugly because you see the hard black edges of the hexes where it’s still black)
i think if you click somewhere it reveals all.

it seems to happen only if you can not see your enemy completely when you attack. i am sorry that i can’t be clearer here but i saw that in the middle of a hot campaign and forgot to pay enough attention to it so that i could describe it here :(

so it should be only a forget-to-update somewhere.
Sounds like the screen doesn't refresh itself after attacking.
muxec

Post by muxec »

I'm suprised by the number of MacOS players here. All MacOS users are rumored to be professional actors imcompatible with games. Do I see many MacOS users here due to the number of MacOS players or due to the number of problems on this platform?
Linux Penguin is coming to your computer. The Source is with him.
Xytan

Post by Xytan »

@Ankka: no need to quote my whole text. it’s already right above yours...

@muxec: go compile some kernel-modules. :P

@all
i got another anoyance. it’s there since i know wesnoth. umlauts in filenames are a bit.... [censored]. you can save a file containing an umlaut in the name (stuff like äöüÄÖÜß - i hope win and linux user can see these as umlauts &auml;). it happens some times because some campaign names traslate to strings with umlauts. (Return = Rückkehr, Spring = Frühling)
if you come back later and click on load you get a red progress-bar telling you that some thing need more time to complete (it’s the umlauts).
if it finished and displays the list of loadable games the umlauts are destroyed. you get rectangles.

could that be fixed please?
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

muxec wrote:I'm suprised by the number of MacOS players here. All MacOS users are rumored to be professional actors imcompatible with games. Do I see many MacOS users here due to the number of MacOS players or due to the number of problems on this platform?
Propably both are valid reasons. :)
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

Xytan wrote:i got another anoyance. it’s there since i know wesnoth. umlauts in filenames are a bit.... [censored]. you can save a file containing an umlaut in the name (stuff like äöüÄÖÜß - i hope win and linux user can see these as umlauts &auml;). it happens some times because some campaign names traslate to strings with umlauts. (Return = Rückkehr, Spring = Frühling)
if you come back later and click on load you get a red progress-bar telling you that some thing need more time to complete (it’s the umlauts).
if it finished and displays the list of loadable games the umlauts are destroyed. you get rectangles.

could that be fixed please?
I guess the trouble is linked with the filesystem you're using.
Check the names in the save directory and tell more about your filesystem.

Theyre is a bug like this (but a bit different) on HFS (Mac OS X). Maybe the saved file should be in ASCII (UTF-7 encoded or something)