Version 0.4.3

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think the main thing I don't like about it is I think it makes the day/night patterns affect the game too much. Being at day or night is meant to affect the game somewhat, and influence strategy, but it's not meant to be what the game revolves around. That wasn't my idea for it anyhow.

It seems to me that with 6-turn days, your strategy has to center around day and night far more than it did previously.

Also in case you didn't know, the AI doesn't explicitly take into account day/night *at all* at the current time. It only takes it into account in that when it analyzes its combat possibilities, it will be less likely to attack at day, because there will be less chances for winning combats.

But to be fair, I've only played two scenarios under the new day/night patterns, I'd have to play with them alot more before I get a firm opinion on it.

But don't worry, I'm not going to suddenly release a new version which reverts back to 4-turn days :-)

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

Saves:

* save date information, when was the save done
* don't overwrite without asking confirmation
* maybe saves should be like save1, save2, save3 (or random generated filenames - 'sdupoeijada') and those files would have eg. 'saveinfo="Scenario 0: Beginning - 1st of September 2003"' or something like that.

- Miyo

Post by Guest »

miyo wrote:Saves:

* save date information, when was the save done
* don't overwrite without asking confirmation
* maybe saves should be like save1, save2, save3 (or random generated filenames - 'sdupoeijada') and those files would have eg. 'saveinfo="Scenario 0: Beginning - 1st of September 2003"' or something like that.
The whole idea of moving the saves from one big file to multiple files in a directory was so that all the saves wouldn't have to be parsed just to load one. Putting meta-data in the save would require the save to be loaded in order for information about it to be displayed, and so isn't really feasible.

I guess we could have some kind of 'saves index' file which contains meta-data about all the saves, but that will be a little work...

We could just go by the file created date to see when the save was created, although that may have portability issues.

David
Jaramir

Post by Jaramir »

Anonymous wrote:The whole idea of moving the saves from one big file to multiple files in a directory was so that all the saves wouldn't have to be parsed just to load one.
apart from the speed up of the parsing with a single save for file it became possible (at least in theory) to make a multiplayer "via mail" by simply attaching the save to the mail.. isn't it good? :)
Halfling Power!!
miyo

Post by miyo »

Playtested scenarios 1 thru 6 and scenario 7 partially (this time no trouble with getting holy).

Bug: difficulty uses sometimes NORMAL and sometimes MEDIUM. If you start campagn with NORMAL difficulty you will have 0 turns to complete scenario 2. ifdef uses MEDIUM in scenario 1 and NORMAL in scenario 2.

Bug: in scenario 5 thieves appear at dusk while dialog talks about night

Bug: scenario 7 has victory condition of surviving for three days, while scenario lasts only two days (caused by scheduler change 4->6).

It was easier to level-up units, this is most likely because AI does not understand to be more defensive/evasive from dawn to daylight.

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave wrote: The whole idea of moving the saves from one big file to multiple files in a directory was so that all the saves wouldn't have to be parsed just to load one. Putting meta-data in the save would require the save to be loaded in order for information about it to be displayed, and so isn't really feasible.

We could just go by the file created date to see when the save was created, although that may have portability issues.
Acknowledged. Add date to savefile name (prevents time change caused by eg. copying) or use file creation date.

"Scenario 7: Valley of Death - 1st of September 2003"

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Using the file creation date would probably be better in that it's locale independent.

At any rate, working out a portable way to display dates according to the locale is going to be a pain :-)

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave wrote: It seems to me that with 6-turn days, your strategy has to center around day and night far more than it did previously.
Of course we can adjust (reduce) bonuses and penalties for day/night.

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

miyo wrote:
Dave wrote: It seems to me that with 6-turn days, your strategy has to center around day and night far more than it did previously.
Of course we can adjust (reduce) bonuses and penalties for day/night.

- Miyo
I thought the concensus was that we didn't want to do that? :)

Anyhow, I played another time last night with the new day/nights, and I did kinda like the strategy involved them. I was playing a new version of scenario 1 I have, for the 'hard' level - in it, the AI gets lots of gold, and the AIs specifically target Konrad and Delfador heavily. Very hard. I found that by the time the first night comes, the engagement with enemy troops is just beginning. It's important for Delfador and Konrad to pause a little, waiting for the day, avoiding engagement, and then suddenly try to break through enemy lines during the day. I did find it lots of fun; maybe it will work well after all :-)

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

miyo wrote: Playtested scenarios 1 thru 6 and scenario 7 partially (this time no trouble with getting holy).
Played thru scenarios 7 thru 9.

Bug: middle of scenario save corrupted (sending savefile to Dave).

Bug: in scenario 8 victory/defeat conditions are not available.

Bug: in scenario 9 there was no defeat even that Li'Sar and Delfador died.

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

miyo wrote: Bug: middle of scenario save corrupted (sending savefile to Dave).
Awaiting the save file :-)
miyo wrote: Bug: in scenario 8 victory/defeat conditions are not available.
This will be fixed in the next version.
miyo wrote: Bug: in scenario 9 there was no defeat even that Li'Sar and Delfador died.
This will also be fixed in the next version.

David
zas

Assertion failure

Post by zas »

wesnoth: game.cpp:289: int play_game(int, char **): Assertion `res >= 0 && res < options.size()' failed.

when pressing Cancel in difficulty menu after selecting Campaign.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave wrote:
miyo wrote: Bug: middle of scenario save corrupted (sending savefile to Dave).
Awaiting the save file :-)
Dave has provided a fix to this. Patch can be found here

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave wrote: Using the file creation date would probably be better in that it's locale independent.

At any rate, working out a portable way to display dates according to the locale is going to be a pain :-)
Added to WesnothToDo (minor) as 'Savegame creation date'

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

After wrestling with scanning directories on Windows, I am loathe to add this feature unless I can confirm there is an easy and portable way to do it.

David