Wesnoth 0.9.5

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rothrorn

Post by Rothrorn »

Hello Iwa

Just downloaded your version, it works fine for me (MacOS 10.4.2). Thanks for your hard work :D
Rothrorn the Wise
themroc

Post by themroc »

Hullo, me is on 10.3.9 and yere version seems ok; thank ye iwa
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

It crashes on 10.3.8, but I think that is supposed to happen. I think I need to upgrade to 10.3.9 to run 0.9.5. Damn, I'm running out of disk space...
clemming

Post by clemming »

lwa wrote:
clemming wrote:i don't know how u guys can call this easy.
Probably because we are trained with. Personnaly, I trashed fink, darwinports & co because I think they don't install stuffs cleanly then I compile all by myself. I'm used to do like this since 15 years ago on Unix systems, so installing a missing package is a simple routine.

well i suppose that would explain it. mac is the only unix based os that i can deal with since you don;t have to actually deal with any of the unix command lines or spend forever learning it, or reading books. i droped out of computer engineering because while i can understand the inner working of the hardware components, anything other writing simple programs in a language as elementary as basic frustrates me, i just don;t have the patience to learn it, or debug it for that matter. i'm weird like that, if u show me me something, including a few thousand lines of code, i'll understand it after studying it for a while, but when it comes to application, thats where i falter.
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

quartex wrote:It crashes on 10.3.8, but I think that is supposed to happen. I think I need to upgrade to 10.3.9 to run 0.9.5.
Why does you think so ?

Crash is not the expected behaviour. After all, you downloaded 45 Mb of software and it does not work. Furthermore, we are near the 1.0 version.
It is compiled to be compatible with MacOSX >= 1.2.8.

Could you please explain a bit? What kind of Mac have you (G4 ? G5 ?
how many memory)? Do you have compiled other stuffs like SDL frameworks or gettext libraries? Are previous release crashing too?
Have you tried to compile a version from sources?

Also, run it from the terminal, (with the quotes)

Code: Select all

"/Applications/Battle For Wesnoth.app/Contents/MacOS/Battle For Wesnoth"
(if you have installed it into Applications folder) and tell me what's append.
ArtillaryGoat

Post by ArtillaryGoat »

With the release of 0.9.3, everyone with pre-10.3.9 seemed to be reporting problems (I remember, I was one of them). I'm downloading Iwa's build now (on 56k), and I have 10.3.9 now, so I'll let you know how that goes.
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

Ok. If I did know that, I did compiled the code with debugging options
and published a debugging procedure.

Well.. I looked here and there and noticed that Xcode 2.1
don't install cross compilations library for 1.2.8 or 1.3.9
and does not provide any option, message or warning about that.

As I did have taken the Project from the 0.9.4 mac binary version (who required to download 700Mb of Xcode 2.1 to launch), it is possible the compatibilty has been lost in a version or another.

Also, the Mac specific bootstrap is terrible. I sound like a lot of people addded theyre lines of code, including newbie developpers. It should probably be trashed or rewritten from scratch. Il will remove the most dirty pieces, maybe this will fix a bug... As I don't know Objective C, I can't do much more.
rogue
Code Contributor

Post by rogue »

lwa wrote:Here we go.

I've build a working version for Mac OS X, you may try it downloading it from

ftp://victor.teaser.fr/pub/lwa/wesnoth/ ... _0.9.5.dmg

It take 45Mb.

Thanks for posting that. It runs on my 10.3.9 system, but it seems noticeably slower than 0.9.4. Slow enough that it is not enjoyable. I'll have to find time to build my own one of these days and see if it's any better.
<rcarello>
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

rogue wrote:
lwa wrote:Here we go.

I've build a working version for Mac OS X, you may try it downloading it from

ftp://victor.teaser.fr/pub/lwa/wesnoth/ ... _0.9.5.dmg

It take 45Mb.

Thanks for posting that. It runs on my 10.3.9 system, but it seems noticeably slower than 0.9.4. Slow enough that it is not enjoyable. I'll have to find time to build my own one of these days and see if it's any better.
10.3.9 for me it works just as fast as before, I think. Perhaps slightly slower, but not really badly at least.
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

I've made some benchmarks, starting the Heir of the throne, doing nothing until turn 2, when a lot of units are about to move, then pushing End turn button. The AI need about 1 min 30 on my configuration to move.

0.9.5 took a bit more time to do the AI moves (around 10%) than 0.9.4. I compiled 0.9.5 with other options but I didn't go much faster.

Next, I swapped the executable binaries between 0.9.4 and 0.9.5 (each version use the data of the other). The result was 0.9.5 binary with 0.9.4 data had the same speed than 0.9.4 with its data and 0.9.4 binary with 0.9.5 data has the same speed than 0.9.5 with its data.

My consulsion it that the little slow down is due to the data (sounds, pictures, descriptions, etc.) and I can't do much about that.

But feel free to compile your personal version yourself. You may gain a little bit if you compile with the dedicaced options for your architecture (G4 or G5 specific binaries, etc.)
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

lwa wrote:I've made some benchmarks, starting the Heir of the throne, doing nothing until turn 2, when a lot of units are about to move, then pushing End turn button. The AI need about 1 min 30 on my configuration to move.

0.9.5 took a bit more time to do the AI moves (around 10%) than 0.9.4. I compiled 0.9.5 with other options but I didn't go much faster.

Next, I swapped the executable binaries between 0.9.4 and 0.9.5 (each version use the data of the other). The result was 0.9.5 binary with 0.9.4 data had the same speed than 0.9.4 with its data and 0.9.4 binary with 0.9.5 data has the same speed than 0.9.5 with its data.

My consulsion it that the little slow down is due to the data (sounds, pictures, descriptions, etc.) and I can't do much about that.

But feel free to compile your personal version yourself. You may gain a little bit if you compile with the dedicaced options for your architecture (G4 or G5 specific binaries, etc.)
So it's all about 0.9.5 having more pictures and stuff like that?

Quite interesting. Why would that affect speed?
rogue
Code Contributor

Post by rogue »

lwa wrote:I've made some benchmarks, starting the Heir of the throne, doing nothing until turn 2, when a lot of units are about to move, then pushing End turn button. The AI need about 1 min 30 on my configuration to move.

Don't know about that. It's the scrolling FPS that is killing me. Your benchmark doesn't test that. The game will scroll from one town to the next in the same amount of time, but it will look choppier if the framerate is lower.

My scrolling FPS was around 10 with slith's builds. I was at 12 the few times I built it myself. (don't know why). With the switch to 32-bit color, 0.9.4 was giving me about 6 fps. That was bordering on irritation, but it looked better so I was okay with it. Your build of 0.9.5 was giving me 3-4 fps while scrolling.

I wonder, did you have optimizations turned on when you compiled your build? I've used O3 when I built it, and it worked fine. Did you build it in xCode's development mode? (That is the default) I know development mode compiles faster, but generates a slower executable.

I've also noticed that, at least in GCC 3.3, compiling for generic PowerPC will produce a faster executable than compiling specifically for a G3.

(BTW, I am using a 400 Mhz G3)

Anyway, not trying to criticize your build. It is very generous of you to build and post it for everyone. Just sharing my findings.
<rcarello>
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

rogue wrote:

Don't know about that. It's the scrolling FPS that is killing me. Your benchmark doesn't test that. The game will scroll from one town to the next in the same amount of time, but it will look choppier if the framerate is lower.

My scrolling FPS was around 10 with slith's builds. I was at 12 the few times I built it myself. (don't know why). With the switch to 32-bit color, 0.9.4 was giving me about 6 fps. That was bordering on irritation, but it looked better so I was okay with it. Your build of 0.9.5 was giving me 3-4 fps while scrolling.

I wonder, did you have optimizations turned on when you compiled your build? I've used O3 when I built it, and it worked fine. Did you build it in xCode's development mode? (That is the default) I know development mode compiles faster, but generates a slower executable.

I've also noticed that, at least in GCC 3.3, compiling for generic PowerPC will produce a faster executable than compiling specifically for a G3.

Anyway, not trying to criticize your build. It is very generous of you to build and post it for everyone. Just sharing my findings.
Indeed, that is what I noticed too. The game plays as fast, but the scrolling is a lot choppier. Not so pretty, although tolerateable.
Disto

Post by Disto »

rogue wrote:

I thought we used 24 bit or am i just going crazy....
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

Ok. I think a got it.

Swapping the binaries, you keep the data and the frameworks (dynamic libraries). As I had simply followed the attached instructions, I downloaded the development version of SDL frameworks.

I don't know how it has been compiled, but when I copy the 0.9.4 version of the framework (in "Battle For Wesnoth/Contents/Framework/SDL.framework") into 0.9.5's Framework directory, I got the right FPS again.

Could you please check this.

My version has been compiled with gcc 4.0 and optimization (but I don't remember if it was -O2 or -O3). I will compile a SDL like this too, for next time.

The instructions should really be removed. They don't work and when you hack the Xcode projet, you got a slower application.