Frequently Asked Questions about new versions

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Development Team
Battle for Wesnoth

Frequently Asked Questions about new versions

Post by Development Team »

Every time a new version of Wesnoth comes out, it seems like we have the same questions asked over and over again. Not that we think this will really help with the problem, but we are going to make an obligatory attempt by posting some frequently asked questions about the process for a new version being released here.

Please direct people who ask the FAQs to this thread.

When is the next version coming out?

We generally don’t really know. Wesnoth doesn’t have any kind of definitive roadmap in the short term. We just develop as we feel like, and when we feel it’s ready for a new version, we release. (The IIRWIIR principle.)

Why isn’t the latest version available for my platform yet?

Because no-one has built it for your platform yet. The Wesnoth development team provides only the source code, and we rely on volunteers to port it to your platform. You will just have to be patient and wait. Complaining about this problem is unlikely to help, and can easily get you banned and your post removed.

Since we suspect some users probably don’t know what a “platform” is, we are going to specialize the previous question to the two most common cases:

Why isn’t the latest version available for Mac OS X yet?

Because no-one has built it for Mac OS X yet. The Wesnoth development team provides only the source code, and we rely on volunteers to port it to Mac OS X. You will just have to be patient and wait. Complaining about this problem is unlikely to help, and can easily get you banned and your post removed.

Why isn’t the latest version available for Windows yet?

Because no-one has built it for Windows yet. The Wesnoth development team provides only the source code, and we rely on volunteers to port it to Windows. You will just have to be patient and wait. Complaining about this problem is unlikely to help, and can easily get you banned and your post removed.

Why can’t I play on the server with the new version?

It generally takes a little while for us to upgrade the server to the latest version. The server is run by volunteers, and we have to contact them to get them to update the server. This can take some time. Please be patient.

How can I upgrade my Wesnoth install without downloading the full, bulky package?

Please see this thread.