Wesnoth 0.9.3

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Swordy

Post by Swordy »

it works on 10.2.8! although some error messages appear...

thanks Sithrandel! mmuahh...
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

kbaskins wrote:
Sithrandel wrote:It is on Sourceforge, works for me but might be flakey as hell... so please someone try it out and let me know how it fairs!
Works great on OSX 10.3.9 running on a slot-loading 350MHz iMac. In fact, it runs *much* faster than the previous incarnations I've played (0.91 and 0.92). The speed bump is quite impressive, actually.

I had no problems opening, playing and saving games, in a few limited tests. I'm looking forward to giving it a more prolonged workout later this afternoon.

Thanks for the build, Sithrandel!

--

Karen
Speed bump? I think it's slower now than before... Not completely sure, though.
kbaskins
Art Developer

Post by kbaskins »

Ankka wrote:Speed bump? I think it's slower now than before... Not completely sure, though.
My computer is nearly five years old, and even though it has 512MB of RAM, the processor and video card are pretty slow. In fact, to play BfW, I have to shut down all other programs because I don't have the processor cycles to run BfW and anything else.

Whatever changes were made to the latest version have increased the speed of the game. If I had to put a number to it, I'd say it's at least 60 per cent faster. Loading, saving, movement and combat calculations are *much* improved. And I had to look up something in the units portion of the help menu yesterday, and that displayed about three times faster than it used to.

It's cool, now I can die more quickly. :-)

--

Karen
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

The improved speed of help rendering was a general fix. The other changes are probably due to some magic that Sithrandel has wrought. :-)
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

As far as I understand, the x-delta patch applies to the downloaded 0.9.2 installer archive, not the game binary. Many of the changes in 0.9.2 were in the data files, so getting the game itself updated isn't going to help much.
So how do I do that? The patch is a single file. Do I need to apply it to every .cfg file?
Stigmatix

Post by Stigmatix »

Insinuator wrote:
As far as I understand, the x-delta patch applies to the downloaded 0.9.2 installer archive, not the game binary. Many of the changes in 0.9.2 were in the data files, so getting the game itself updated isn't going to help much.
So how do I do that? The patch is a single file. Do I need to apply it to every .cfg file?
I don't even know what he's talking about, thats how little I know about xdelta.

I wish the lite version was back, I have a 56k modem, and am unable to apply xdelta effectively. I'll have to download the now 40 megabyte game over again just to get the updates.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

The xdelta patch as to be applied to the complete tar archive. The one for the windows version has to be applied on the installer of 0.9.2. It should work and saves lots of bandwith (>20MB compared to ~2MB). We stopped delivering the lite version, because there were only about 50 people downloading it. We only got limited upload bandwith and eg with 128kbit uploading a package with 20MB takes some time. That is why we do not ship the lite version anymore, but replaced it with a patch.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Let's try this again. You downloaded the Windows installer for 0.9.2, this is a file called wesnoth-windows-0.9.2.exe and you should be able to search for it on your disk if you don't remember where you put it.

You have now downloaded the xdelta patch, 092to093-windows.xdelta and installed the xdelta application, as outlined in Isaac's post. xdelta will take the file wesnoth-windows-0.9.2.exe and combine it with the 092to093-windows.xdelta file to produce a new wesnoth-windows-0.9.3.exe file that you can then run to install 0.9.3. You can then keep this file for when the next release comes out, when you just download the xdelta between 0.9.3 and the next release, and so on.

Note that for this to be useful, you still need to have the 0.9.2 installer for Windows. If you have lost or deleted it, then you will need to bite the bullet and download the whole 0.9.3 installer, since there is nothing for the xdelta patch to be applied to.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

ott wrote:The improved speed of help rendering was a general fix. The other changes are probably due to some magic that Sithrandel has wrought. :-)
Lol no, sadly not. Just that occasionally I up the optimisation level a notch, then sit back and see what breaks. If something breaks I lower it again :(

If not... we might as well leave it there :)
unsung

Post by unsung »

and since it involves computers something ALWAYS breaks right?
so basically you depress yourself.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Stigmatix

Post by Stigmatix »

I already understood the concept of what to do. Im supposed to use the xdelta program to combine the patch file with the installer, but every time I open xdelta.exe it flashes in dos for half a second and closes. I just don't know how to get it working. I try dragging the patch and running it in xdelta.exe but it pops open a second and closes again. Thats my problem.
rogue
Code Contributor

Post by rogue »

Sithrandel wrote:
ott wrote:The improved speed of help rendering was a general fix. The other changes are probably due to some magic that Sithrandel has wrought. :-)
Lol no, sadly not. Just that occasionally I up the optimisation level a notch, then sit back and see what breaks. If something breaks I lower it again :(

If not... we might as well leave it there :)

Could it have anything to do with the supposedly better C++ optimization in GCC 4?
<rcarello>
Insinuator

Figured out

Post by Insinuator »

Ok, I see now. You have to apply the patch to the install .exe, not the unpackaged .exe. Sorry, I should have realized that.
I already understood the concept of what to do. Im supposed to use the xdelta program to combine the patch file with the installer, but every time I open xdelta.exe it flashes in dos for half a second and closes. I just don't know how to get it working. I try dragging the patch and running it in xdelta.exe but it pops open a second and closes again. Thats my problem.
That's because you have to run Xdelta in a command prompt. There are three ways to do this.

1. Copy the path where you installed xdelta into the environment variable path box in the advanced settings tab in your System icon in Control Panel. Then you should be able to open a command prompt and type "xdelta" which will give you a list of options which you should be able to follow. However, this has only worked on Win 2000. I am not sure if XP functions the same in that regard.

2. Copy the unpackaged Xdelta into the same folder you have the v0.9.0 of BfW. Open a command prompt and navigate to that folder. Type Xdelta and follow the instructions.

3. Give up.

You probably shouldn't try the first idea if you don't want to mess anything up.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

rogue wrote:Could it have anything to do with the supposedly better C++ optimization in GCC 4?
Doubt it as one of the necessary things to get XCode 2.1 to work was to switch from using GCC 4 (default) to GCC 3. Hopefully GCC 4 will be useable in future versions of Developer Tools. If not, things will get messy :(
Stigmatix

Post by Stigmatix »

Nah, that doesn't work on XP. I do have a Dos emulator I've used to run Dos programs that wont work on XP, but Delta didn't work with that either.

I'll just download the game again. >.<