Windows Binary CVS Snapshot: Dec 30, 2003

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Windows Binary CVS Snapshot: Dec 30, 2003

Post by Dave »

Okay, here is a new Windows binary snapshot for Dec 30: http://www.wesnoth.org/files/win-20031230.exe

As per normal, bug reports etc are welcome.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
quartex
Inactive Developer

Binaries of the recent version for other platforms?

Post by quartex »

Do binary snapshots for other platforms get posted as well? I'd like to try bug testing the newest version, but I'm using OS X and am not technologically knowledgable enough to compile my own executables.
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Binaries of the recent version for other platforms?

Post by Dave »

quartex wrote:Do binary snapshots for other platforms get posted as well? I'd like to try bug testing the newest version, but I'm using OS X and am not technologically knowledgable enough to compile my own executables.
That's at the discretion of the OS X porter, Sithrandel. You can private message him and ask him if he would mind making an OS X binary snapshot.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Thanks Dave. BTW - I assume everytime you update the application, you invalidate all your old save files, or would they still work?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

quartex wrote:Thanks Dave. BTW - I assume everytime you update the application, you invalidate all your old save files, or would they still work?
With the new saving added recently, saved games should still work, although we don't guarantee it, and obviously there may be serious differences if there was a major storyline change, plot shift, etc.

David
Circon

Post by Circon »

It's so... different.
The day/night icons look crazy, but I'll prolly get used to them.
The new attack icons are sporadic and oversized. Thumbs down.
Bug: When my horseman attacked a walking corpse, for a few moments a yellow "2" and grey feet (movement icon) would overwrite the 'corpse.

One thing I've been thinking about, but got worse this version:
Minimizing and restoring the game will black out the whole screen, and stuff only reappears when it changes. Scroll the map to bring it up, but gold/income stats disappear until the next turn, etc.

I'll suggest a fix. Instead of having to write a process that checks if everything is showing- have a "Refresh Stats" button that can remove black areas by recalculating every stat. I suppose that would be simpler.
methinks

Post by methinks »

Circon: what do you mean by "thumbs down", you do not like idea of attack icons at all, dislike their size or do not like them being sporadic. Cause 2nd and 3rd may be fixed :)

I do not think it is bad idea and I like how Svetac's icons look like, though it may be a matter of taste. Do you like new attack icons. Anyone? Noone?

-Adam
Guillaume

display bug (same as previously generated snapshot)

Post by Guillaume »

Hi,

I've just downloaded this version, and I still have the same small display problem (but only with the "Bay of pearls" scenario).
When you zoom out too much, there are still some small lines that appears near the hex.

Guillaume
Circon

Post by Circon »

I want to see the icons finished and included. But at the moment, I'd prefer the game without them. Their size pushes the attacks apart, giving an impression of "not-fixed-up, newb-created". I don't really have a word for it, just that the size makes it look as though it was coded without enough forethought.
I support the idea, but resize and put in more icons. Having so few looks... silly.

What's "2nd and 3rd" ? Version of icons?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Circon wrote: I support the idea, but resize and put in more icons. Having so few looks... silly.
If you download a 'CVS binary snapshot' you can expect to find things that are only half finished, or in their early stages.

If we always waited until something was complete before committing it to CVS, virtually nothing would ever get done.

David
methinks

Post by methinks »

Yeha, well, idea is good, true, it needs completion but you have to wait, Hey, remember it is not official realeas, not release candidate, only bloody snapshot :P

They may need being smaller but I would have to see them with text verticaly alligned.

Circon: 2nd and 3rd have meant ("you do not like idea of attack icons at all, dislike their size or do not like them being sporadic") size/being sporadic :P
-Adam