Wesnoth 1.14.4

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Byron

Re: Wesnoth 1.14.4

Post by Byron »

"(By the way, it's also currently on the 1.12 addons server under the same new name, so it doesn't actually qualify for the conditions of your list.)"

Yes, I know, but you added a scenario that is incomprehensible to me. I can not get passed it. I love the older version, & play it a lot, but for me, the new version is unplayable, which is why the old version is on my list.

I like Besieged Druids, but I don't like The Black Cross of Aleron.

I hope I have not offended you, but this is how I feel.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Well, I'd suggest you give it another try once I upload it, since I've made massive changes to that scenario. It's true that the version of that scenario on the 1.12 addons server is pretty bad, yes. I think the 1.14 version is fairly good in comparison, though perhaps still not as good as the rest...
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Byron

Post by Byron »

Absolutely, I will give it another try. Thank you for your work on this campaign, & all of the work you do here on Wesnoth.
JWDStudent

Post by JWDStudent »

I am just wondering whether we can change the movement cost for all skeletons and skeleton archers in the deep water from 3 to 2.5 because they will always have 5 movement points (no traits). It is kinda pain in the ass that they can only have one move in the deep water. Submerge is completely useless if they move too slowly in the deep water while their defence is only 10%.
enclave

Post by enclave »

gfgtdf wrote: July 30th, 2018, 9:01 pm Ok so when exactly do you get the oos message? Directly after undoing?

Also please remember what with versions the participating players use, you can type '/q version <player name>' to check which with versions the players use.
Ok, here is a first report on it... It's not much information but i hope it can help:
OOS message does not appear directly after undoing, it appears when I move unit to new or old location after undoing.
I used 1.14.4, Sponge used 1.14.4, Markiys used 1.14.4, but Ulff used 1.14.0
When oos happened all 3 players (1.14.4, 1.14.4 and 1.14.0) reported OOS.
Host said he doesnt have add-ons
So in this particular case OOS were caused by me. Save file attached.
OOS UNDO 2.gz
(27.16 KiB) Downloaded 589 times
Please do not investigate into this until I confirm that some other player was the cause of OOS (in this case it will be a proof that it's not just something wrong with me, but there is a problem with any user).
Thanks. This post is just for the record... to store info.

Host: Sponge 1.14.4
OOS cause: enclave 1.14.4
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

thx for the info, in fact i just oberseved a very similar OOS when observering a game on the map 'isars blasphemy' which makes it more likely that this is inded an engine bug, i'll copy the relevant part of your file to this spoiler:

Code: Select all

[command]
		dependent=yes
		from_side="server"
		sent=yes
		[random_seed]
			new_seed="fb6e364c"
		[/random_seed]
	[/command]
	[command]
		from_side=2
		[move]
			x="13,12"
			y="11,11"
		[/move]
		[checkup]
			[result]
				final_hex_x=12
				final_hex_y=11
				stopped_early=no
			[/result]
			[result]
				next_unit_id=29
				random_calls=0
			[/result]
		[/checkup]
	[/command]
	[command]
		sent=yes
		[speak]
			id="ulfff"
			message="too many attack fails"
			side=3
			time=1533565835
			to_sides="2,3"
		[/speak]
	[/command]
	[command]
		from_side=2
		[move]
			x="13,12,11,10"
			y="11,10,10,10"
		[/move]
		[checkup]
			[result]
				final_hex_x=10
				final_hex_y=10
				stopped_early=no
			[/result]
			[result]
				next_unit_id=29
				random_calls=0
			[/result]
		[/checkup]
	[/command]
	[command]
		sent=yes
		[speak]
			id="server"
			message="Markiys reports out of sync errors."
		[/speak]
	[/command]
	[command]
		sent=yes
		[speak]
			id="server"
			message="Sponge reports out of sync errors."
		[/speak]
	[/command]
	[command]
		sent=yes
		[speak]
			id="server"
			message="ulfff reports out of sync errors."
		[/speak]
	[/command]
	[command]
		undo=no
		[speak]
			id="NotTalking"
			message="ulff why you using wesnoth 1.14.0?"
			side=2
			time=1533565881
		[/speak]
	[/command]
as one can clearly see it containes wo moves that start from (13,11) which is impossible, but what's also interresting is that some of the [speak] commands are missing undo=no attribnutes which i think could be the cause of this bug.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

ok i think i found that cause, the 'allies only' chats have no undo=no atribute so they casue OOS if people undo moves, the follwong procedure will casue oos:

1) Do an undoable move
2) then al alls speaks to you via teamchat
3) you undo that move
4) you move the unit again.

the good news is that we migth be able to fix this with a server patch.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Ok i pushed two fixes: one for the server and one for the client, both fix the issue by themselves (you only need one of them), so you can play safely play mp again when either the server gets rebuild or a new wesnoth version gets released whatever happens first.

(Altenativeley you could also download 1.14.4+dev which is something i usually reccomend, but as this only fixes the oos erros caused by your client it's not realyl effective here)
enclave

Post by enclave »

gfgtdf wrote: August 6th, 2018, 5:44 pm Ok i pushed two fixes: one for the server and one for the client, both fix the issue by themselves (you only need one of them), so you can play safely play mp again when either the server gets rebuild or a new wesnoth version gets released whatever happens first.

(Altenativeley you could also download 1.14.4+dev which is something i usually reccomend, but as this only fixes the oos erros caused by your client it's not realyl effective here)
As I could understand the fix will be applied to 1.14.5 as well? I will wait for that one :) Thanks very much!
PS. I could throw some more bug reports in if interested :D but I dont think there was anything too important.. like oos :)
Like.. Random start of day (when you untick "use map settings" and tick "random start of tiem of day") only works like... 1/40 times (not sure, maybe it only works if done for the first time - when you first time tick/untick it. The other thing is it says "you were defeated" when your leader is dead but your ally killed all enemy leaders. And the major thing is probably translations.. Scenario objectives are in host language. I'm sure I have many of such little things... just cant remember them now. Anyway it's off-topic :) It's not really a place for bug reports. Thanks so much for fixing undo OOS, this was a huge one!!!
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

enclave wrote: August 7th, 2018, 10:27 am As I could understand the fix will be applied to 1.14.5 as well? I will wait for that one :) Thanks very much!
Ye but usually rebuilding the mp server goes faster, but currently there are some problems in communication, as the developer chat seems to be under a spambot attack afaik, but i asked shadowm to rebuild the server about a week ago already so maybe it'll happen anyways.
enclave wrote: August 7th, 2018, 10:27 am
PS. I could throw some more bug reports in if interested :D but I dont think there was anything too important.. like oos :)
Like.. Random start of day (when you untick "use map settings" and tick "random start of tiem of day") only works like... 1/40 times (not sure, maybe it only works if done for the first time - when you first time tick/untick it.
heh turned out this happens really randomly, random gnerator has some high chance to produce an invalid number in which case the code jsut set it to the first start time.
enclave wrote: August 7th, 2018, 10:27 am
The other thing is it says "you were defeated" when your leader is dead but your ally killed all enemy leaders.
not sure what exactly you mean here.
enclave wrote: August 7th, 2018, 10:27 am Scenario objectives are in host language.
A quick git blame shows this was broken in https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/comm ... 231cf0f18d should be easy to fix.
enclave wrote: August 7th, 2018, 10:27 am And the major thing is probably translations..
I pushed a fix to wesnothd quite some time ago to improve the situation, as said above i'm still waiting for a server rebuild.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

gfgtdf, could you please either register an account with NickServ or use Discord?

I just rebuilt and restarted the server. That was a bad idea, see #wesnoth-dev, the server died several times in a row while trying to observe a specific game.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

A couple of mildly annoying things I've noticed on recent versions which persist in 1.14.4.

1. My computer (Windows 10) becomes very laggy when when moving units and uncovering shroud on large maps. I've taken to turning off all the mini map features, which fixes the problem.

2. The floating labels float by much too fast. I'm talking about the floating labels that are generated through WML (rather than through combat or healing). For instance, you can create a floating label by unstoring a unit or using [floating_text]. In both cases, the labels fly skyward at such a rate it is hard to read them.

A couple more minor things I've noticed...

3. My error log reports that the description for Isar's Cross has 'unescaped ampersands'.

4. The unit file for the Trapper includes two animations for the dagger attack. They are the same except one uses a different melee image. Is this intentional, if so what does it do?
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: August 7th, 2018, 8:29 pm A couple of mildly annoying things I've noticed on recent versions which persist in 1.14.4.

1. My computer (Windows 10) becomes very laggy when when moving units and uncovering shroud on large maps. I've taken to turning off all the mini map features, which fixes the problem.
this is a known issue, the problem is in normal mode that the minimal basicially draws the whole map in 1:3 scale and hen scales the whoel thing down to the small rectange in the screen corner, where in partiuclar the last scaling step is very slow. You coulod try to use 'tactical terrain drawing' (where the terrain colors in the minimal are only determined by the movetype of the terrain) that mode uses a 1:18 scaling the the first step which means in particular that it needs less scaling in the sceond step.
Bob_The_Mighty wrote: August 7th, 2018, 8:29 pm 2. The floating labels float by much too fast. I'm talking about the floating labels that are generated through WML (rather than through combat or healing). For instance, you can create a floating label by unstoring a unit or using [floating_text]. In both cases, the labels fly skyward at such a rate it is hard to read them.
4. The unit file for the Trapper includes two animations for the dagger attack. They are the same except one uses a different melee image. Is this intentional, if so what does it do?
hmm no idea about this one
Bob_The_Mighty wrote: August 7th, 2018, 8:29 pm
3. My error log reports that the description for Isar's Cross has 'unescaped ampersands'.
shoudl be an easy fix, basicially it mostlikely means that some label widget has probably wrongly enabled markup.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: August 7th, 2018, 8:29 pm 3. My error log reports that the description for Isar's Cross has 'unescaped ampersands'.
This is in the translation file,to avoid the warning, one can write &amp; instead of &.
Try out the dark board theme.
jftasz

Post by jftasz »

Hello Everybody !

In UtBS second map and sidebar >> daze, slow and dehydrate icons problem/missing >> default and classic theme.

See next - 3 icons:
2018-08-09_10-31_00-504.png
2018-08-09_10-31_00-504.png (151.25 KiB) Viewed 9471 times
Default theme, only slow icon appear; and daze and dehydrate icons disappeared/missing
2018-08-09_10-29_27-977.png
2018-08-09_10-29_27-977.png (182.45 KiB) Viewed 9471 times
Classic theme, only slow and dehydrate icon appear and dots; daze and icons disappeared/missing, but dots see that.

See next - 2 icons:
2018-08-09_10-51_48-941.png
2018-08-09_10-51_48-941.png (293.94 KiB) Viewed 9471 times
Default theme, only dehydrate icon appear and black/darkgray "disc" icon appear possibly daze icon.
2018-08-09_10-52_28-150.png
2018-08-09_10-52_28-150.png (108.44 KiB) Viewed 9471 times
Classic theme, correct icons appear.

Have a nice day! Forever ! ;D
Jf. Tasz, member of Hungarian Wesnoth Community