Wesnoth 1.14.3

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Wesnoth 1.14.3

Post by Iris »

Wesnoth 1.14.3 is out!

This is a regular maintenance release for the stable 1.14.x series, delivering bug fixes and translation updates. As is the norm for updates to the current stable series, this release is fully compatible with previous 1.14.x versions.

A full list of changes and new features added since version 1.12 can be found in the release notes for this series.

Changes since 1.14.2

Read on for more details about the most notable fixes and additions since the previous stable release. A full list of changes may be found in our changelog.
General
Dead Water:
  • Fixed possibility of villagers blocking pickup of sword in “The Flaming Sword” (issue #3207).
Descent into Darkness:
  • New Parthyn map for scenarios 1 and 6.
Northern Rebirth:
  • Reduced starting gold and income in scenarios 10 to 13.
Secrets of the Ancients:
  • Fixed “Training Session” not ending when all dark adepts die (issue #3192).
Tutorial:
  • Made enemy starting gold in the second scenario equal to that of the player.
Under the Burning Suns:
  • Added portrait and updated sprite for Giant Ant.
  • Fixed crashes due to units ending up with negative hitpoints under certain circumstances (see Miscellaneous).
  • Fixed a rare issue where disabled attacks could cause the wrong attack to be initially selected in the Unit Attack dialog. This bug also had the potential to cause units to the wrong attack when engaging or viewing damage calculations.
  • Fixed the server’s lan_server option not causing the server to exit once vacated, e.g. when using the Host Networked Game option from the Multiplayer menu in the game (issue #3206).
  • It is now possible to use /query version <nickname> in the lobby to check another player’s client version.
  • Unit messages include the unit type name in lieu of an individual unit name or custom [message] caption again like in 1.12 (issue #3211).
  • The music now changes immediately when you load a save file (issue #2602).
  • Removed validation to ensure units cannot have negative hitpoints. We learned that the ability to create such units is documented, and thus disallowing it was an API change. Since API changes are not allowed in the stable branch, we have reverted it.
  • Fixed AI crashes in presence of units with negative hitpoints (issue #3042).
  • Fixed Lua errors when setting a music track that cannot be found when the playlist is already empty, e.g. if there's no music installed for the game (issue #3194).
  • Fixed an occasional crash at the loading screen related to multi-thread access of the image cache.
  • [kill] animate=yes no longer scrolls to units through fog or shroud, thus matching 1.12’s behavior again.
  • do_not_list=yes units are no longer excluded from the debug mode-only Create Unit dialog.
  • Fixed [scenario] map_file= being unusable in most circumstances.
  • Official Windows builds for Wesnoth now enable the Data Execution Prevention and Address Space Layout Randomization features to mitigate potential code injection attacks.
Known Issues
Bugs specific to Windows:
  • OneDrive can interfere with Wesnoth’s user config/data directory set-up, leading to all kinds of different manifestations of the issue. There’s no fix available yet. The recommendation for the time being is to avoid syncing the Wesnoth user directory with OneDrive.
General bugs:
  • Preprocessor errors corrupt cache (#1924). If this happens you have to wipe your cache. That can be done in Preferences → Cache.
Bugs specific to macOS:
  • Trackpad tap clicking is sometimes not recognized (forum post).
  • Unofficial builds with OpenMP support enabled randomly freeze (bug #1260).

Downloads
Source code (450.2 MB)
SHA256 sum: e9f17f0245a2b7f63b28d77a1cc8854355768665f5ca93ffd3e7641b0840c418
Windows installer (407.9 MB)
SHA256 sum: 81799aa26e349e55c330cc6dc95096cf0e4573c07e4215c8bbad999a66f8665b
macOS package (468.2 MB)
SHA256 sum: eead09941d495f66e9c78d19169bbd61c5ac46f30a09ad432dd91e672ff1aee2
All known Linux packagers have been contacted, and binaries for your distribution may have already been created. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to install them can be found on the Linux binaries page in the wiki.
The multiplayer server for 1.14.x is up and running. This server allows players using all stable releases from this series, including the 1.14 release candidates (1.13.12 and alter).

The add-ons server for 1.14.x is already running. It was started for 1.13.12 and it serves all stable releases from this series.
If you encounter any problems involving add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author or maintainer.

If you find any bugs, do not hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using our bug tracker. We need your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how obvious, trivial or complicated they seem!

Have fun!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
tr0ll

Re: Wesnoth 1.14.3

Post by tr0ll »

Works great for me - thanks so much for the rapid followup to bug reports and user testing!
enclave

Post by enclave »

Forgetting to ask if messages will be fixed in future versions, - I see all messages for all sides during save-loaded replays.. for example [message] speaker=narrator side_for=1 message="some message" [/message] which is quite extremely annoying as it pauses the game every second until you click. So you watching and clicking watching and clicking... and clicking and clicking...
PS. it thanksfully doesnt show messages with [option]s, would have been total nightmare otherwise (plus oos).. now it's only half-nightmare.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I think you are expected to see messages in replays.
enclave

Post by enclave »

Ravana wrote: June 15th, 2018, 1:08 pm I think you are expected to see messages in replays.
it's not how it was in 1.12 so i think it's an unusual behavior.. plus its an annoying behavior...
I put it into bug tracker... i'll try to use bug tracker for bug reports and see if it's any better..

I think seeing messages would only be good for some campaigns with a lot of quests.. but who would watch a replay of campaign? idk... not sure even in this case if somebody would want to click through whole campaign instead of peacefuly watching and eating same time or something..
quiet

Post by quiet »

Hi, SHA256 sums for source code archive and win32 installer are the same in your message. I've downloaded the win32 installer, the SHA256 sum is different from the one you stated. Can you please post the correct sum for the installer.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Oops. Fixed.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Spirit_of_Currents

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

I dislike the new attack sounds that heavy infantrymen and some other units have.
There are very much electrical currents in my brain.
fun

Post by fun »

Spirit_of_Currents: U copy from older version to actual. Rewrite.
enclave

Post by enclave »

error message appears when loading the savefile
2p — Tombs of Kesorak Turn 1.gz
(18.73 KiB) Downloaded 1180 times
and is crashing wesnoth.
w.jpg
The cause of the crash seems to be the wesnoth.delay() on_load
And very likely wesnoth.fire("message",...) gives a different kind of crash too... :(
part of my on_load code:
Spoiler:
Log file:
Setting mode to 1280x655
20180716 01:11:27 warning general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/Fall_of_the_Western_Roman_Empire/translations', skipping textdomain
20180716 01:11:27 warning config: add-on 'Break_Savegame' has no _info.cfg; cannot read version info
20180716 01:11:27 warning config: add-on 'Castle_Hopping_FFA' has no _info.cfg; cannot read version info
Checking lua scripts... ok

running with console didnt display any errors while or after the crash error... I have no idea where stdrr.txt is on 1.14 if it still exists...

Any information or hint on why it is happening I would be very happy to know. Thanks!
PS. I heard a rumor that on_load wasnt meant to be used for anything other than loading some kind of lua libraries (or something else im not sure). Could somebody explain if I use it wrongly or why it is unsafe and causing crashes.. And how to display any kind of message on_load safely (when screen is saying "Starting Game..."), wesnoth.message is not visible, wml message causes crash.. maybe lua widgets?

Sorry if my post is somewhat in a wrong place.. Im not sure which category it falls into.. A crash is a bug, so I guess it belongs here, but from the other hand it was caused by custom content..
Last edited by enclave on July 16th, 2018, 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

enclave wrote: July 16th, 2018, 12:20 am running with console didnt display any errors while or after the crash error... I have no idea where stdrr.txt is on 1.14 if it still exists...
See the instructions here.

Although given the nature of the error, I doubt there’s anything of use right before the crash in there.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

yes both wml.actions.message and wesnoth.delay should not be used during initial [lua] or on_load

regarding wesnoth.delay(): the expected behviour is that wesnoth.delay should have no effect during on_load, maybe we forgot to implement this.

regaring wml.actions.message: mostly for technical reasons this currently doesn't work there, the main reason is probably that the initialisation code during the loading screen (this in particular includes running on_load and toplevel [lua]) is run in a sperate thread which can no easily access the the ui. Again this can onyl be fides on the c++ side.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
enclave

Post by enclave »

gfgtdf wrote: July 16th, 2018, 3:04 am yes both wml.actions.message and wesnoth.delay should not be used during initial [lua] or on_load

regarding wesnoth.delay(): the expected behviour is that wesnoth.delay should have no effect during on_load, maybe we forgot to implement this.

regaring wml.actions.message: mostly for technical reasons this currently doesn't work there, the main reason is probably that the initialisation code during the loading screen (this in particular includes running on_load and toplevel [lua]) is run in a sperate thread which can no easily access the the ui. Again this can onyl be fides on the c++ side.
Thank you very much for clearing some things out!
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

There's a forum post by a BfW 1.14.3 Steam-player with a screen-shot showing the team number next to the flag in the unit status panel. I downloaded the same version from sourceforge.net, the team name is still truncated … Why?
team.jpg
team.jpg (4.76 KiB) Viewed 31255 times
(Win 7, resolution 1366x721)
Supernova1997

Re: Wesnoth button

Post by Supernova1997 »

please re-add the button "next unit", "end turn" and "leave the battle" because are very usful, for example, every time i will exit to the battle from multiplyer i need to reconnect to the server