Wesnoth 1.14.0 — New Horizons Update

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Wesnoth 1.14.0 — New Horizons Update

Post by Iris »

Wesnoth 1.14.0 — the New Horizons Update — is finally here!

Screenshot Screenshot Screenshot

Screenshot Screenshot Screenshot

After a little over three years of continuous development and more than 16,000 commits to the mainline source repository, the Battle for Wesnoth development team is proud to announce the availability of version 1.14.0 of the game on all major platforms, as well as the Steam Store. This is a major milestone for us, both in terms of the game’s technical platform and the great overhauls that took place throughout the 1.13.x series, as well as the expansion of our community to new horizons with our official launch on Steam!

None of this would have been possible without the help of our vast player community, our add-on content creators, mainline developers, patch contributors, artists, translators, musicians, forum and MP moderators, and many others who have donated their spare time to the Battle for Wesnoth Project over the years to make this the best Wesnoth version yet. Without your support, we would not be here today to celebrate this new chapter in Wesnoth’s history.

A full list of changes and new features added since version 1.12 can be found in the release notes for this series.

Changes since 1.14 RC 3
  • A full list of changes may be found in our main changelog.
  • We also provide an alternative players changelog including only those changes deemed to be relevant to the average player.
Read on for more details about the most notable fixes and additions in this release since the previous development release:
General
Due to long-standing issues with abuse of unregistered nicknames, from now onwards — although not strictly a change in 1.14.0 — the official 1.14 MP server requires a registered forum account to join. See more information about this in the announcement posted before the release.

Due to an oversight, a tooltip on the MP mode selection menu claims that account registration on forums.wesnoth.org is still optional. This is an oversight which will be rectified in version 1.14.1.
Under the Burning Suns:
  • The new portraits for characters and Quenoth faction units by LordBob are in the game now.
  • Updated sprites for several Quenoth units.
  • Fixed “Invalid WML found” error that can be caused by the Quenoth Youth support ability.
  • Implemented MP chat message history saving (issue #1194, issue #2802).
  • Fixed regression causing a crash-to-desktop when trying to log into the server using a registered and active account without specifying a password.
  • Fixed an infinite loading screen if the server shut down or restarted mid-login.
  • Fixed an infinite loading screen when attempting to login with an unregistered nickname followed by a registered one, when the server’s deny-unregistered-logins option is enabled.
  • Fixed a possible Lua error when the weather changes in the Dark Forecast map.
  • Fixed context menus not dismissing on right click.
  • Fixed an AI assertion when a unit with one disabled attack attacked a unit with no attacks or a single disabled attack.
  • Hid the Editor section from the game’s help as it is incomplete and full of to-do notes (issue #2963.
  • Made the Version label on the title screen translatable (issue #2914).
Known Issues
General bugs:
  • The game can crash when planning recruits in Planning Mode.
  • Preprocessor errors corrupts cache (#1924). If this happens you have to wipe your cache. That can be done in Preferences → Cache.
Bugs specific to macOS:
  • Trackpad tap clicking is sometimes not recognized (forum post).
  • Unofficial builds with OpenMP support enabled randomly freeze (bug #1260).

Contributors

Wesnoth 1.14.0 was made possible by the contributions of many, many people all over the world. In no particular order, we would like to thank:

8680, abacabadabacaba, adrianheine, AI/AI0867, Aginor, Aishiko, AlainODea, ancestral, Anonymissimus, aquileia, Arcanister, awleffew, beetlenaut, binarycoder, bumbadadabum, caslav.ilic, catagent101, Celtic_Minstrel, chisquare130, Coffee, Crab, devnexen, DisherProject/Tramontana, donovanamitchell, doofus-01, dorng, dreamer-88, Dugi, duncan_shriek, Duthlet, Elias/Allefant, Ekdohibs, Elvish_Hunter, ePaul, Espreon, fabi/fendrin, FAKevin/Kevin_Xi, fatality, fluffbeast, galegosimpatico, Ged0, gfgtdf, Groggy_Dice, GunChleoc, halfspiral, happygrue/Wintermute, heirecka, hrubymar10, iceiceice/cbeck88, kallaballa, iKevinY, Ivanovic, Iwontbecreative, JaMiT, Jetrel, JohnAnthony, jostephd, Jozrael, jstitch, jyrkive, Kwandulin, legoktm, lipk/lipkab, loonycyborg, LordBob, LovCAPONE, Luther, lv-zheng, macabeus, madmax28, matthiaskrgr, mattsc, mbrickn, midzer, mordante, MrEPIC, mstrebel, naclander, neoe, neverEnough, newfrenchy83, Nobun, PBechon, Pentarctagon, PoignardAzur, pquentin, Pubudu/pubudug, pydsigner/pyndragon, qmo2015, Randypk, RatArmy, Ravana, rcorre, rjaguar3, RiftWalker, rikardfalkeborn, Robertdebrus, Ryckes, ScegfOd, selony, shadowm/ShikadiQueen, Shiki/Sevu, SigurdFireDragon/sigurdfdragon, sinda/singalen, Smok94, SoapGentoo, Soliton, Spixi, starius, stevecotton, Tad_Carlucci/GregoryLundberg, techtonik, Thorny, thunderstruck, timotei, ToBeFree, tranceitionalMynd, Turuk, universecoder, vgaming/vn971/vasya, vultraz, Wedge009, WKuchta, Zappaman, zookeeper, our many current and past translators, artists, musicians, and anyone we might have missed.

Do you want to help shape the future of Wesnoth? You are always free to join us on Discord or the #wesnoth-dev IRC channel on irc.freenode.net to ask for help with getting started!

Downloads
Source code (442.2 MB)
SHA256 sum: 7c81ca4a4896a34789514025b999daf028d846b70aa556e18fca9de047c1d126
Windows installer (403.1 MB)
SHA256 sum: 6302681505f3903dc9b52bf81acc13c32f81197c56763594373ca56f2fa624d4
macOS package (447.0 MB)
SHA256 sum: a3f6e723517e6adbc997981e7c4f764448d2faa620492d75ecbd29294f162da9
All known Linux packagers have been contacted, and binaries for your distribution may have already been created. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to install them can be found on the Linux binaries page in the wiki.
The multiplayer server for 1.14.x is up and running. This server allows players using all stable releases from this series, including the 1.14 release candidates (1.13.12 and alter).

The add-ons server for 1.14.x is already running. It was started for 1.13.12 and it serves all stable releases from this series.
If you encounter any problems involving add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author or maintainer.

If you find any bugs, do not hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using our bug tracker. We need your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how obvious, trivial or complicated they seem!

Have fun!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
wolkenwand

Re: Wesnoth 1.14.0 — New Horizons Update

Post by wolkenwand »

Im very happy this out :D thank you wesnoth team ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

I have devoted 11 years to the Battle for Wesnoth and it was worth it :) Now a new chapter begins. I encourage everyone to spread the word about this incredible game! :D
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
enclave

Post by enclave »

well i'm not trying to say anything bad, but the first impression is that there is a terrible popup abotu registration when you are trying to enter the username which blocks the username field completely when your mouse cursor is there... is it really necessary to be so annoying? editing that is a nightmare, so all these new steam users we expect to see will start wesnoth with a bit of annoyance? thats a bit of negative straight away.. just in hopes somebody could relook that... move it down a bit? It just doesn't let me see what I type and makes my head steam and become red :D.
All the popup when you about to start local game or connect to server are annoying to be honest (for me), i would prefer if they were in some kind of top left or right corner of screen... or at bottom of screen... not blocking my mouse cursor or menu by themselves..
Ha! funny that when you publish add-on the popup is in bottom of screen :D Maybe there should be a standard for it's location? :D

PS. second thing to notice is that I need to select the chat edit field to type chat messages... its not selected all the time by default, like in previous wesnoth. Also if somebody says my name the text is not highlighted...

Third thing is when you create the game and there is a tab with "Game Settings" there is an option of "registered users only" and then the next one to the right of it saying "Strict Sy..."(thats all I can read, it is same color as the background after). These two options are grayed out and not avaialble (Local game) ,maybe there u could use the popups? when they really needed. To explain why they grayed out and what these options do.

Fourth thing when you exit local game there is option "exit to titlescreen"? Has anyone ever seen it anywhere called "titlescreen"...? Well if you want to quit the game and dont want to quit to Desktop, then it's quite obvious that you have to use other option... but I don't think titlescreen sounds self-explanatory..

Fifth, OMG, now when there are more people on 1.14 server I can not see the lobby list of names at all.. open games are blocking everything.. to see anything need to scroll in a tiny tiny window.. I mean in 1.12 lobby has a whole right hand side for user names, but 1.14 only a tiny bottom right corner for same thing.. (well its only for windowed display settings as I mention in next post)

windows 7, wesnoth 1.14
Last edited by enclave on May 2nd, 2018, 11:57 pm, edited 8 times in total.
RolfDhew

Post by RolfDhew »

Wow this great! If I may ask, will the android build be updated to 1.14?
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

To what enclave said:
I do think that the tooltips pop up way to fast. In addition, the placement is somewhat unfortunate in some cases, like e. g. changing the XP or income when setting up an mp game, or changing the game speed, the tool tip covers up the numbers, so I always have to guess where to put the slider.

Rolf: AFAIK, the android ports are not made by the developers, so it depends if a volunteer will take that effort or not.
RolfDhew

Post by RolfDhew »

Oh okay thanks for the reply
ghype

Post by ghype »

i guess we are all unused to the new user interface for mp, but we all will get used to it and it become normal at some point.

the visual arts especially in the "create gam2" menu are astonishing!

is there a thread where u can suggest ideas/improvements for 1.14x future releases?
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

This thread is for feedback, so you can suggest stuff right here.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Can no longer use silly cat involving decknames on the server for incognito play, oh well. :p
ghype

Post by ghype »

So i posted this on discord already, but thought to put here again so it wont get forgotten.

"since having an active acc for log in into 1.14 mp server became a necessity, what about displaying each forum profile picture on the info tab when double clicking on the nick. there seems enough space for a circle/square of 72x72 or even more.
if there is too much info about the game you could break that lines, which happens already anyway.this way new players might want to set up a small profile pic & would engage more on the forum, they might stay longer to explore some threads too"
Screenshot 2018-05-02 13.36.46.png
Screenshot 2018-05-02 13.36.46.png (49.61 KiB) Viewed 22498 times
this is how it could look like
Screenshot 2018-05-02 13.36.59.png
Screenshot 2018-05-02 13.36.59.png (54.13 KiB) Viewed 22498 times
Fractal

Post by Fractal »

Good job ! Very nice to see Wesnoth moving forward like that.

Now, a bit of feedback on the new version.
I guess the new UI need some time to get used to, however there are a few issues with it that I don't think is due to its novelty.

The main issue that I have is that everything is so damn BIG.
Buttons, are bigger, extensions screen is bigger, menus scale feel weird sometime.
And it's actually quite hard to understand where is the useful informations. My eyes are lost between the numerous options and the text wall, and my brain has been known to froze a few times before understanding what it needs to do.

The UI is so big that I now have to scroll horizontally in various menus (preferences, mp game creation, etc.) and my resolution has a decent 1366x768.

Another example is in the unit description : there is a big unit icon and then we have the unit description, both of which take the essential of the information screen space. For the useful information, we need to scroll down (damage, resistance, defenses, etc.). That's not ideal. Also, look at all this empty space.
This was already there in previous version, but it felt not that big.

Now, this is not particularly related to the size of the UI, but there is one menu that need a serious rework in my opinion, this is the extension description screen :

1) To begin with, this screen looks stretched out horizontally : look at the bottom information, my eyes need to go from one side of the screen, to the other side of the screen to have the related meta information (date, size, etc.) and my brain do not agree with that.
2) There is no clear delimitation between the extension's description and title/meta information. An easy way to avoid that is by changing the background color (darker) of the description.
3) Those buttons are huge and feels stretched out again. I'm not a big fan of the button's style too (same for the buttons in the extension list screen).
4) There is a lot of empty space where it is stretched out.
5) The content is unconfortably close to the border of the screen, in my opinion.
6) Not sure why this "Tout mettre à jour" button is bigger than the other buttons.
7) Finally, I find weird to have a quit button here that exit to the main screen. It's confusing, and I clicked on it once thinking I'd go back to the extension's screen (but I think, this was already there in the previous version)

That's it for my feedbacks.

EDIT : I usually have a windowed Wesnoth at 1366x749, but I have the same experience fullscreen at 1366x768
Last edited by Fractal on May 3rd, 2018, 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
enclave

Post by enclave »

lol i guess huge size is least of an issue, plus its probably done on purpose, for the new generation -> phone people.. but even I don't care about size or anything, my monitor is 27, last thing i would think about that something is big...
Real issues from me :D
1) I have 2 monitors, so it's essential for me to use windowed version of wesnoth and not fullscreen display settings..
With windowed version I can see 2 bugs:
a) Lobby chat is only 3 lines big.. It's so cool I can maybe upload a picture now! didnt think of it (Thanks Fractal for idea!), here it is hopefuly:
wesnoth1.jpg
b) Resolution doesnt change resolution, it just resizes the window, here are 2 resolutions to compare:
800x600
wesnoth2.jpg
1280x692
wesnoth3.jpg
It's not really bad to be honest, it's better than wesnoth 1.12, because in 1.12 it was changing my windows resolution instead of wesnoth resolution, which means that all my icons on desktop were moved to different places, all my notes were moved (since screen became smaller), I would prefer wesnoth to change my window size instead of making full and terrible chaos :D so can't really complain. Just letting you know that I don't see difference of resolution, only size of window is changing, so i would call it a bug, perhaps?
2) When I was logging in to wesnoth lobby it wasnt saving my password despite it was ticked.. This time strangely it does save it.. maybe because im logged into the forum? :D no idea... or it fixed itself magically.

windows 7, wesnoth 1.14

PS. as for good things, there are million of them, water looks really cool, more possibilities for developers etc.. don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with new version and everything. But I believe there are bugs you are not aware of, hence my post describing them for hope of fix and making everyone even happier.

And bad things again, registering the names for multiplayer... Was it really best time for it? The game is on steam now, so some new people will eventually find it, download and want to try it.. They go to play and see "you need to register to play"... don't you think it's a bit pushing away? I would most probably exit and uninstall the game straight away, without even trying to figure out how to register and why I need to do it.
If it was done on purpose to filter out new players and scare them away because you don't believe that your server/core can handle larger amount of players then it's a good move, but if you want to attract more players then you could do it at least a month later.. it's a positive change (I change names every week or more often depending on my mood, so I like to change them, but I understand that it's better if everyone register to avoid many problems), so I like the change, but isn't it a bit wrong time for it?
If i was a new player wanting to try the game, I would want to go straight to the game without any registration, try it and decide to stay or leave it.. we all know that registration on the web leads to unwanted emails and spam, offers and crap.. I avoid it at all costs, so probably does majority? And for these who say that you can always play single player and decide if u like it or not, I can only say that if I look for a game online, I definitely look for multiplayer, which means playing with other Human people, because it's interesting. Anyway.. just my opinion.
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

My thoughts so far: obviously, all of the good stuff (music, gameplay, old school but clean graphics, easy to edit) still applies. One thing that's bugged me, though, is that the Steam overlay doesn't seem to work for Windows users.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Please, anyone reporting issues with the MP Lobby, Create Game, or Addon Manager, include your Wesnoth window size (or screen resolution if you're playing fullscreen). These screens rearrange themselves on smaller screens so that everything can still fit into the window, so if we're going to be able to fix it we need to know which arrangement of the screen you're viewing.

Screenshots can help, but it's preferable to know the actual size.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.