vs2015 External depends error with SDL2_tff.dll

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fancypantsorama

vs2015 External depends error with SDL2_tff.dll

Post by fancypantsorama »

I have a screenshot attached. Whether trying to build any output version I am running into this popup error. Since I have no way to observe the symbols in this library and none are loaded. I was wondering if this could be a corrupt download of the external.zip archive.

'wesnoth.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'wesnoth.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\bcryptprimitives.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'wesnoth.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\user32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'wesnoth.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\win32u.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'wesnoth.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'wesnoth.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32full.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'wesnoth.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp_win.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'wesnoth.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'G:\wesnoth\external\dll\SDL2_ttf.dll'. Module was built without symbols.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Screenshot (410).png
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: vs2015 External depends error with SDL2_tff.dll

Post by Pentarctagon »

That probably means that your SDL2_ttf.dll is too old. Where did you get the "external" folder from?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
fancypantsorama

I got it from the documentation and link for the external dependencies link. Is now Wesnoth in coordination with Boost_libraries 1_65? Or if you have a link please post it. Thanks
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Boost has nothing to do with this error. You should either get a newer dll from the SDL website, or try downloading the 1.13.8 installer and using the dlls included as part of that.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
jyrkive
Inactive Developer

Post by jyrkive »

Did you use https://github.com/aquileia/external/archive/VC14.zip? VC12.zip is incompatible with Visual Studio 2015.

Another possibility is that Wesnoth may load some DLL from a wrong place, and such a DLL may expect SDL2_ttf.dll to provide InterlockedCompareExchange(). Although that doesn't seem to be the cause according to your log.

Edit: a good way to get Wesnoth to load the DLLs from a right place is to add external\dll to the beginning of the PATH variable, not to the end.
fancypantsorama

I downloaded externalvc14 and have the path set correctly. If with Boost Libraries, The external dependencies and VS2015 meeting the requirements. I will try to use the download version of wesnoth and copy over the SDL libraries. That probably would be the most logical way to establish a proper methodology. If not then I am stuck due to the fact I have had many wild issues with SDL compiling and they are never ending. Let me see if this works. Thanks all for the support.
fancypantsorama

Thanks for posting the version number of the exe. Just copying that SDL2_tff.dll to the external directtories solved the issue. wesnoth is up and running now in debug mode moving rather quickly. Thanks!!