Wesnoth 1.13.8 (1.14 Beta 1)

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gfgtdf
Developer

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.8 (1.14 Beta 1)

Post by gfgtdf »

@doofus: maybe there isa bug in [kill] when it comes to recall units? This comment https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... ll.lua#L73 makes that look likeley.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Hello, I posted some that I noticed using 1.13.8.
I am using the Mac version.

1, crash when trying to use map load menu in map editor.
2, Display image quality of portrait image is bad.
Spoiler:
3, Deleting the unit that has illumination with [kill] will leave a halo image.
Spoiler:
4, [set_menu_item] text is not displayed.
Spoiler:
5, I selected Japanese as a language choice, but the menu is displayed in English.
6, animation of the unit is not functioning.

The most troublesome of them is that you can not use the map editor, but can other Mac users use the map editor?
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

vultraz wrote:
Inky wrote:Re: Add-on manager sorting options- There used to be an Options button where you could select the types of addons, whether or not they were installed, and sorting options (downloads, last update etc.) It seems the first two have been converted to dropdown menus but the sorting options aren't there anymore?
Those options were for default sorting order when opening the manager. We decided those weren't really worth preserving.
I found the sort by Last Updated option very useful, because it allowed me to see new add-ons. Not every add-on author makes a thread in the forums, and I discovered several new campaigns this way, that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. Don't other players use this too? :hmm:
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Inky wrote: Don't other players use this too? :hmm:
I do. Or rather, I did. I haven't played a new campaign for a while.
Last edited by UnwiseOwl on May 22nd, 2017, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

IIIO_METAL wrote:Hello, I posted some that I noticed using 1.13.8.
I am using the Mac version.

1, crash when trying to use map load menu in map editor.

[...]

The most troublesome of them is that you can not use the map editor, but can other Mac users use the map editor?
What version of OSX are you using?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

First, quoting this so it doesn't get buried and lost:
Samonella wrote:I notice that unit's terrain defenses and movement costs (in the help encyclopedia) don't display correctly from the map editor; they all list all terrains as 0% defense and impassible. It works fine in other places (in game and from the main menu) though. Not sure if this bug was in earlier 1.13 versions.
I also just noticed that from the map editor, the new "Defense cap" column doesn't get displayed at all.

Second, a couple of new findings:
vultraz wrote:Moving on, we've also included an updated Storyscreen viewer and Attack Predictions dialog! There are still a few kinks to be worked out of the former, especially regarding the new text fade-in/fade-out animation, so please report all your findings.
I do notice one small bug with the fade-in/fade-out when I use IPFs on the background image. Clicking the right/next arrow repeatedly and quickly will result in the IPFs being dropped on the part of the image that's behind the text area, so it looks like this:
Image:
gfgtdf wrote: maybe there isa bug in [kill] when it comes to recall units?
There is a more general bug with [kill], I'm not sure if it's related. Take a look at these events:

Code: Select all

[event]
        name=attack end
        [kill]
            x,y=$x2,$y2
            animate=yes
        [/kill]
        [fire_event]
            name=ghostly_world
            [primary_unit]
                x,y=$x1,$y1
            [/primary_unit]
        [/fire_event]
    [/event]
    [event]
        name=ghostly_world
        first_time_only=no
        [message]
            speaker=unit
            message=_"Ah! A ghost!!"
        [/message]
    [/event]
Right when ghostly_world is fired, the killed unit briefly flashes back on its tile. I tried experimenting around:
  • I put a [filter_condition][have_unit] in ghostly_world so it would only fire if the killed unit still existed. ghostly_world did not fire, but the unit still flashed back.
  • I removed ghostly_world and the [fire_event], and the unit still flashed back.
There is also a different spot in my code where the unit seems to stay alive throughout the second event, so it is still there while the message displayed. The code is a bit more involved so i can't really post it unless you want me to zip up the whole add-on, dump it here, and describe how to find the bug. I can't figure out exactly what is causing the unit to stick around longer than it does in the code I posted; all I know is that nothing like this happened in 1.13.7.

EDIT:
Inky wrote:I found the sort by Last Updated option very useful, because it allowed me to see new add-ons. Not every add-on author makes a thread in the forums, and I discovered several new campaigns this way, that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. Don't other players use this too?
I always sorted by downloads, which is pretty close to the same order as First Uploaded. Or at least, it's an easy way to find new ones.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

gfgtdf wrote:@doofus: maybe there isa bug in [kill] when it comes to recall units? This comment https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... ll.lua#L73 makes that look likeley.
Just for the record, judging by the documentation of SUF, a separate loop for the recall list shouldn't be necessary. (Of course it's also possible the docs are wrong; I haven't checked the code.)

Another thing to check is whether [kill] (or rather, wesnoth.erase_unit) actually removes the recall list unit. It should, of course, but it kind of sounds like there's some issue of [kill] not killing in some circumstances. The "flashing back" that doofus describes sounds to me like "death animation was played but unit was not removed".
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

just checked the wiki and it said:
wesnoth.get_units
  • wesnoth.get_units(filter)
Returns an array of all the units on the map matching the WML filter passed as the first argument. See StandardUnitFilter for details about filters.
note the 'on the map ' part
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Inky wrote:I found the sort by Last Updated option very useful, because it allowed me to see new add-ons. Not every add-on author makes a thread in the forums, and I discovered several new campaigns this way, that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. Don't other players use this too? :hmm:
Hmmm... right, it would probably be best to re-add that, then.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

For some reason when uploading an add-on, the "_info.cfg" wesnoth does not update the actual version. I tried to delete the file but it hasn't been recreated. Is it just me or does it happen with other add-ons too?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

So I've confirmed that there is a bug with [kill] and the recall list, and have a fix committed.
Bitron wrote:For some reason when uploading an add-on, the "_info.cfg" wesnoth does not update the actual version. I tried to delete the file but it hasn't been recreated. Is it just me or does it happen with other add-ons too?
The info.cfg is for downloaded addons only, as I understand. If it's an uploaded addon, the same information is read from _server.pbl.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:What version of OSX are you using?
I use this Mac & OS : Mac mini (Late 2012) 2.3 GHz Intel Core i 7, OS X 10.11.6 Japanese environment
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Hi IIIO_METAL:
IIIO_METAL wrote:I use this Mac & OS : Mac mini (Late 2012) 2.3 GHz Intel Core i 7, OS X 10.11.6 Japanese environment
I have a MacBook Air (early 2015), 2.2 GHz i7, OS X 10.12.5.

I can confirm the crash when trying to load a map in the editor. (On the other hand, 'load recent' works.) I noticed that I only get the problem with the 1.13.8 OS X package, not with current 1.13.8+dev that I compiled myself, so I went and compiled 1.13.8 myself. No crash in that case. So it appears to be some sort of problem with the package (at least for my version of OS X), not with the Wesnoth base code itself.

I also find that switching languages does not seem to work. I tried German, Spanish and what I presume is Japanese, but only ever get English menus and campaign texts. (I cannot currently test whether that is a problem with the package as I cannot build the translations myself; I can try to work on that over the next few days.)

By contrast, I do not seem to have the three animations/graphics problems you describe and the menu item text is there as well for me.

EDIT: The map editor load crash goes as far back as the 1.13.6 release. Does not happen in 1.13.5, happens in 1.13.6 - 1.13.8.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Hello, mattsc.

Thank you for examining the problem I reported.
mattsc wrote:I can confirm the crash when trying to load a map in the editor. (On the other hand, 'load recent' works.) I noticed that I only get the problem with the 1.13.8 OS X package, not with current 1.13.8+dev that I compiled myself, so I went and compiled 1.13.8 myself. No crash in that case. So it appears to be some sort of problem with the package (at least for my version of OS X), not with the Wesnoth base code itself.
That is good news. I hope it will be fixed in the next package.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

IIIO_METAL wrote:That is good news. I hope it will be fixed in the next package.
I've done some more digging. I needed to update and reinstall a few things first, that's why I did not do so right away yesterday.

Map editor crash: I was thinking that maybe there was a compatibility problem with the dynamic libraries in the OS X package, which are supposed to work all the way back to OS X 10.7. However, when I drop the libraries from the released package into my version, I still do not get the crash. So that does not appear to be it. I'll continue to see what it could be, but it might take a while as I do not actually know what I am looking for.

Translations: It turns out that these are in the wrong folder inside the package. This is something you should be able to fix with a simple hack:
Spoiler:
Of course, we (I'm not the packager) should also try to fix up the official package, but I'd like to know what is going on with the editor crash first.