Wesnoth 1.13.8 (1.14 Beta 1)

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vultraz
Developer

Wesnoth 1.13.8 (1.14 Beta 1)

Post by vultraz »

Wesnoth 1.13.8 (1.14 Beta 1) is out!

Two months ago, we announced that 1.13.7 would likely be the last of the 1.13 series before moving on to a series of 1.14 release candidates. However, our plans have changed, and instead we're considering this the first beta release for 1.14! The addition of one or two beta releases will allow us to further iron out bugs before finally moving on to the release candidates and then finally 1.14 proper.

And speaking of bugs, this release is (as usual) full of fixes! Everyone has been working hard over the last two months to iron out many of the issues you reported for 1.13.7, as well a many other long-standing ones.

This release also will come alongside a long-pending and exciting change: we now allow Creative Commons-licensed music and art content to be uploaded to the Add-ons Server! This does not mean existing music or art is relicensed in any way, nor does it mean you are forced to use a CC license when uploading. It simply means UMC authors will have access to a wider range of resources to make their creations even better. You can find more details here.

Moving on, we've also included an updated Storyscreen viewer and Attack Predictions dialog! There are still a few kinks to be worked out of the former, especially regarding the new text fade-in/fade-out animation, so please report all your findings. This also completes the transition to the new GUI2 UI toolkit, with the important remaining exceptions of the main game screen, editor, and help browser. These will sadly require more effort that we can put in right now with 1.14 looming on the horizon.

There are also our usual huge dump of Lua and WML improvements, mostly from celticminstrel! Many long-requested features have been added, including the ability to invoke the storyscreen mid-scenario. See below for a complete list.

We hope everyone will continue to test this release and report any bugs they find. In that vein, I'd like to reiterate again that we've moved our bug tracker from GNA to GitHub! Much thanks to celticminstrel for working on the migration script to transfer existing open bugs to the new platform. Let us know if you have any questions regarding submitting bugs on GitHub.

And finally, I'd like to say a goodbye and great thank you to Aginor who officially stepped down as an active contributor earlier this month. Without him the game would never have been updated to use SDL2 and most if not all of the video-related bugs that plagued 1.12 would still be present. We wish him luck on his future programming endeavors.
  • Download and install, making sure to keep the latest stable release around in case the game breaks and you find yourself unable to get your daily fix of Wesnoth.
  • Playtest the game, try out some of the API additions for content creators, and write down your observations in a notebook or similar.
  • If you encounter issues, don’t panic; instead, grab some bug spray and protective gear, and head directly to our instructions for reporting bugs (we'll be updating this page in the coming days with new reporting protocols). Most importantly, keep in mind that we can’t know about any bugs you encounter unless you report them to us!
  • Near the end of the release notes below you will find a list of the most important bugs known at the time of release. Some items are due to be fixed in the next release, but for others we depend on contributed patches from volunteer coders like you! (If you are a coder, that is.)
  • Check our bug tracker for a full list of bugs and feature requests, including other bugs found after the release was published.
Read on for more details about the most notable fixes and additions in this release:
General
  • New layout for resolutions < ~1280x800.
  • The Type dropdown now shows correctly if no types are selected, or if more than one is selected.
  • Pressing Enter no longer closes the window.
  • The add-on list now respects the filter options on reload.
  • Fixed formatting for installed dependencies.
  • Added tooltips to buttons.
  • Double-clicking an add-on now always does something sensible (e.g. publish for publishable add-ons).
  • New API for working with the music playlist, which offers significantly more control than the WML [music] tag.
  • The core function wesnoth.dofile has been enhanced to allow you to pass arbitrary data into the file as arguments. Simply pass as many extra arguments to wesnoth.dofile as you wish; the data can be accessed from the script by using the special ... variable.
  • The core function wesnoth.require has been enhanced to allow you to require a directory full of scripts in one line, similar to how macro inclusions work in WML. When you do this, wesnoth.require will return a table indexed by the filename (without the .lua suffix). In addition, you can omit the .lua suffix when requiring a file.
  • Empty subtags are no longer saved in [unit] and [side]. This is unlikely to cause major issues, but it could potentially be a problem for some UMC that relied on the old behavior.
  • [unit] placement=name is now [unit] location_id=name.
Known Issues
  • A serious issue that breaks all cases of [endlevel] music= was discovered soon after the release.
General bugs:
  • The MP server has trouble with Local player types in campaigns (issue #1387). We have decided to postpone dealing with this. In the meantime, you might try assigning such sides to the host, or running multiple instances of Wesnoth.
General bugs:
  • The game can crash when planning recruits in Planning Mode.
Bugs specific to macOS:
  • Trackpad tap clicking is sometimes not recognized (forum post).
  • Unofficial builds with OpenMP support enabled randomly freeze (issue #1260).
As is to be expected with development releases, there may be many, many more changes in addition to the aforementioned, including WML and Lua API additions for user-made content creators, translation updates, and fixes for recent and long-standing issues. Most of these items are listed in the full changelog. If that seems too overwhelming, you might be glad to know we also provide an alternative players changelog including only those changes deemed to be relevant to the average player.

Do not be disappointed if the game crashes every now and then! Development versions are not the best for those in need of a stable gaming experience, who should stick to the current stable 1.12.x series instead. However, if you want to help us test what will eventually become the next stable 1.14.x series, you definitely should check out this release and report to us any problems you find so they can be fixed in a timely fashion. Content authors are also especially encouraged to port and test their content under new development versions to detect any problems with their add-ons or Wesnoth in advance.

Downloads
Source code (409.0 MB)
SHA256 sum: d9bd3e86e3f813328ce1a2100be30d29ff8695e523cd3c08219905418f25d56a
Packages for Microsoft Windows and macOS are available:
Windows installer package (371.3 MB)
SHA256 sum: 72e7e77c8164be6ca57b3c7b1b31c79c1b271a4b6add89bf6508b0a3e495d7dc
macOS installer package (408.2 MB)
SHA256 sum: df98a343ac2d83fb5f4144fb79379afa827c57cb8c68c3eaa29a2afb706352b5
All known Linux packagers have been contacted, and binaries for your distribution may have already been created. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to install them can be found on the Linux binaries page in the wiki.

Downloads for other platforms may be found on the Download page in the wiki as they become available.
The multiplayer server for 1.13.x is up and running. This server can only be used to play with other players running the latest development version.

The add-ons server for 1.13.x is already running. It was started for 1.13.0 and it serves all development releases from this series.
If you encounter any problems involving add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author or maintainer.

If you find any bugs, do not hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using our bug tracker. We require your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how obvious, trivial or complicated they seem!

Have fun!
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
The_Gnat

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.8 (1.14 Beta 1)

Post by The_Gnat »

Apologies for continually hassling the Dev team. I realize you people have been working really hard with many more important problems :D and i am pleased that 1.14 is on the horizon.

With that said unfortunately i have just realized that my price changes that i suggested earlier (which were kindly commited by celtic minstrel) were incomplete. Because of that here is a further list of price changes that i have realized are necessary:
Hurricane Drake - cost 40 -> 43 (similar to the Elvish Outrider and Direwolf Rider)
Drake Enforcer - cost 40 -> 44 (similar to the Drake Warden and Royal Guard)
Armageddon Drake - cost 100 -> 85 (nearer cost to the other level 4 units which are all less than 85)
Ghast - cost 41 -> 43 (similar to the Royal Guard and Merman Triton and Orcish Warlord)
Dwarvish Sentinel - cost 41 -> 44 (similar to the Royal Guard and Merman Hoplite)
Once again these price changes are only for 3rd level units and so make little difference to the default or AOH eras but significant difference to Reign of the Lords add-on!

Thank you very much! :D
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Great we're making progress! :D

I already like some of the changes, for example recruit lists without scroll bar.

Here are some things I've noticed having a quick look:

My Windows (8.1) prevented the downloaded .exe from executing (because it could potentially be dangerous), after doing it anyway it asked for confirmation; this behavior is unlike e.g. 1.13.6, where I was just asked for the confirmation. I don't know what changed, but think it'd be neat if the first denial could be removed.

When creating a game, 'random' is displayed in two ways: in written for the faction, as a pic of a die for gender; if that's a design decision I guess it's fine, I was just wondering why the same info was displayed in two different fashions.

Currently the Menu, Actions and End Turn buttons and the watch are the only elements on the main screen without mouse-over; probably they're not needed, but it would add consistency if they got that too.

Coming to the things I actually care about:

For whatever reason, the vertical part of '+' in mouse-over is so pale that it looks like '-'; this is true for different resolutions and font scalings.
Spoiler:
Font Scalings:
- I seem to notice a trend towards capitalization (which is fine with me), but 'Scalings' is the only capitalized second word on the whole screen (consistency!)
- Unlike what I'm used to, I can't set the scaling by clicking on the bar, but always have to drag that whatchamacallit (slider?).
- Going to 100 or higher, the last digit of the percentage gets cut off and is replaced with '...'. (Seriously?)
- Actually, now all three digits are displayed. (Huh?) Maybe truncation could be prevented under all circumstances?

And why can't I choose a resolution in full screen?

Thanks for the attention & patience, please carry on with your good work. :)

Edit:
Spoiler:
I have a cunning plan.
jyrkive
Inactive Developer

Post by jyrkive »

nuorc wrote: My Windows (8.1) prevented the downloaded .exe from executing (because it could potentially be dangerous), after doing it anyway it asked for confirmation; this behavior is unlike e.g. 1.13.6, where I was just asked for the confirmation. I don't know what changed, but think it'd be neat if the first denial could be removed.
That sounds like Windows SmartScreen, which simply blocks any program from running until it has been seen worldwide often enough (in other words, it assumes everything is malware at first). We can't do anything about it: for obvious reasons there is no way to bypass SmartScreen.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

nuorc wrote:Currently the Menu, Actions and End Turn buttons and the watch are the only elements on the main screen without mouse-over; probably they're not needed, but it would add consistency if they got that too.
What do you mean by mouseover? Tooltips? I don't think the menus should have tooltips. I suppose End Turn could.
nuorc wrote:For whatever reason, the vertical part of '+' in mouse-over is so pale that it looks like '-'; this is true for different resolutions and font scalings.
This seems like a font smoothing (anti-aliasing) issue. You could disabling it in your system preferences and see if it helps; I'm not sure if there's anything Wesnoth could do about it though.
nuorc wrote: - Unlike what I'm used to, I can't set the scaling by clicking on the bar, but always have to drag that whatchamacallit (slider?).
- Going to 100 or higher, the last digit of the percentage gets cut off and is replaced with '...'. (Seriously?)
- Actually, now all three digits are displayed. (Huh?) Maybe truncation could be prevented under all circumstances?
Sliders definitely need some work. As for the appearance of the game sidebar (and top bar) with font scaling increased, that's probably not going to be improved unless it can be done by editing the ThemeWML. (If you want to try that and suggest some changes, go ahead.)
nuorc wrote:Insert a small rant about ctrl+q letting you quit the current game but not the program itself! :annoyed:
Can't you press Ctrl+Shift+Q to quit to desktop? And you could probably edit the hotkey assignments to swap them too, if you wanted.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

@jyrkive: Thank you for your explanation.

@Celtic_Minstrel: Thank you for your replies.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:I don't think the menus should have tooltips. I suppose End Turn could.
Just thought I'd mention it.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:This seems like a font smoothing (anti-aliasing) issue. You could disabling it in your system preferences and see if it helps; I'm not sure if there's anything Wesnoth could do about it though.
I did compare it to 1.12.6 before posting, and as it seems much clearer there, I still hope that Wesnoth could do something about it. :)
Spoiler:
Maybe that has to do with those funky resolutions 1.13.8 chooses. In full screen it picks 1537x865, which is neither my native nor my desktop resolution (1920x1080), and which I can't change! And in windowed mode there's probably also less than optimal interpolation.

Why can't I set the resolution in full screen?
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Sliders definitely need some work. As for the appearance of the game sidebar (and top bar) with font scaling increased, that's probably not going to be improved unless it can be done by editing the ThemeWML. (If you want to try that and suggest some changes, go ahead.)
I'm not using font scaling at all, just tried the slider. As I hardly have an idea what else you are talking about, please don't expect much from me. ;)
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Can't you press Ctrl+Shift+Q to quit to desktop? And you could probably edit the hotkey assignments to swap them too, if you wanted.
Certainly I could press whatever, but I want ctrl+q to do it. It has ~always been that way. (Just as I complained when ctrl+o was gone from the titlescreen and now it is back...)
Spoiler:
I have a cunning plan.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:What do you mean by mouseover? Tooltips? I don't think the menus should have tooltips. I suppose End Turn could.
Speaking of Tooltips: There is still that weird thingy with the tooltips when creating a game in Multiplayer. When changing the amout of various variables like Experience Modifier et cetera, the tooltips just cover the acual amount and you have a pretty hard time to find the configs you want.
example:
Also, in the Map-Editor under "Area" the german translation for "add new area" is wrong. It says "neue Epoche hinzufügen" which means "add new era" - caused some confusion earlier today. ^^

These things said, this Update is still a huge improvement to the current game. Thank you and keep up the good work guys!
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I just committed The_Gnat's unit cost suggestions.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
jyrkive
Inactive Developer

Post by jyrkive »

nuorc wrote:
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:This seems like a font smoothing (anti-aliasing) issue. You could disabling it in your system preferences and see if it helps; I'm not sure if there's anything Wesnoth could do about it though.
I did compare it to 1.12.6 before posting, and as it seems much clearer there, I still hope that Wesnoth could do something about it. :)
Maybe that has to do with those funky resolutions 1.13.8 chooses. In full screen it picks 1537x865, which is neither my native nor my desktop resolution (1920x1080), and which I can't change! And in windowed mode there's probably also less than optimal interpolation.
A little math tells me that 125%*1537 = 1921,25 and 125%*865=1081,25.

125% is a standard Windows DPI scaling value. It looks like Windows scales the game to 125% size, and that causes the artifacts you see.

Your screenshot from 1.12.6 is smaller, so it looks like scaling is disabled in 1.12.6 for some reason.

Disabling DPI scaling would be easy, but it wouldn't be a good idea on systems with really high-resolution screens - everything would become so small that text would be unreadable and the game would be unplayable.

The long-term solution would be disabling Windows's built-in DPI virtualization and implementing our own scaling, but it's such a large task that we aren't going to do it for 1.14.0.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

A serious issue that breaks all cases of [endlevel] music= was discovered soon after the release.
i uploaded an addon 'lua fixes' that backports the fix for tihs one for people who have it installed.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:I just committed The_Gnat's unit cost suggestions.
Again, Thank you! :D
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

jyrkive wrote:Your screenshot from 1.12.6 is smaller, so it looks like scaling is disabled in 1.12.6 for some reason.
The long-term solution would be disabling Windows's built-in DPI virtualization and implementing our own scaling, but it's such a large task that we aren't going to do it for 1.14.0.
Setting the resolution in 1.12.6 has its own issues, but it lets me set the full screen resolution to 1280x720 (the smallest available 16:9); that works just fine for me.

I still don't know why I can't set the resolution in full screen in 1.13.8. I can't even zoom in beyond the default view. While '-' lets me zoom out (which I wouldn't want), hitting '+' doesn't work. (Even when hitting '-' before.)

I strongly dislike the windowed mode. (Which, when maximizing the window, shows as 1536x841.)

I like the current graphic options so little that my frank opinion would be censored by the nanny-bot. :annoyed:

For me it's a huge step backwards from 1.12 and I strongly hope something can be done before 1.14.
I have a cunning plan.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Something to keep in mind is Wesnoth no longer handles resolution in terms of scaling, but rather in terms of 1:1 window size. During the SDL2 transition we disabled resolution setting in fullscreen for various reasons. TBH, I'm not sure why one would want to use Wesnoth at anything other than native resolution when fullscreen. Not being able to zoom when fullscreen is a bug, though.

EDIT: just tested and I could zoom in and out fine in fullscreen :hmm:
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

nuorc wrote:I can't even zoom in beyond the default view. While '-' lets me zoom out (which I wouldn't want), hitting '+' doesn't work. (Even when hitting '-' before.)
You might want to have a look into the shortcuts. It seems like standard for zoom in is "=" now. At least it changed without me doing anything except installing the new version.
Last edited by Bitron on May 21st, 2017, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

gfgtdf wrote:
A serious issue that breaks all cases of [endlevel] music= was discovered soon after the release.
i uploaded an addon 'lua fixes' that backports the fix for tihs one for people who have it installed.
Hi gfgtdf,
Thanks for addressing this. I think there will be other things for you to add to it, unfortunately. I reset to e1233fd0f244c12727bb9be349ee12dd6dac2edc (a commit that touched lua, pre-1.13.8) because master (whatever that was as of some point earlier today) had some more lua errors in my darling add-on, once we got past the [endlevel]music= thing.

Using your add-on, commenting out the #ifver part, I got to see that version also had the same lua errors, but I find them more cryptic and don't immediately see what to do to recreate in a simple test-case.
These are the errors, in case they mean anything.:
The Lua code in add-on Bad_Moon_Rising may be badly written, but it has worked fine for almost two years, until something committed in BfW broke it in the last month or so. Compiling takes so long, I don't think I can blindly find which commit it is. (I know Lua changes shouldn't require recompile, but I don't know how to untangle the C++ stuff from it all). But if you have any suggestions...
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects