Wesnoth 1.13.8 (1.14 Beta 1)

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The_Gnat

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.8 (1.14 Beta 1)

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi i was wondering, before 1.13.9 is released can all this awesome story art by LordBob be added.

I realize it isn't complete (but it might never be) and it certainly would improve the campaigns he has drawn pictures for. :D
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Can someone explain to me the purpose of the 'Custom' option on the dropdown for choosing factions in MP games? I only seem to see it when loading my own add-ons in 1.13 (it doesn't appear on mainline maps), and I don't know if it's a result of some bad code or if it has a particular purpose. At the moment it seems confusing. It also makes the 'Random' faction appear halfway down the list (and partially cuts off the Undead). Here's a screenshot to show what I mean.
Attachments
faction-screenshot.jpg
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

"Custom" means 'use what is defined in [side] instead of overwriting it with a faction'. This option appears automatically for example if your [side] has a recuit= list.
It also makes the 'Random' faction appear halfway down the list
Hmm could be a bug , I think it'd be better if 'Random' stayed second then.
and partially cuts off the Undead
Well yes that's why it has a srollbar
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Ah, okay. Thanks for explaining. I imagine players won't know what it means, but I don't know how you'd rectify that or whether it really matters (I assume they get the recruit list that is set by the scenario anyway, regardless of what faction they pick on this screen).
My current projects:
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I also found it confusing. Maybe it should say Use Map Settings there instead of Custom? From the player's perspective, they are not customizing anything.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

It would probably be better for it to be named "Preset" or something similar. "Custom" seems like it would give the impression of being able to customize, or something like that.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

"Preset" sounds good to me too.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Well, Preset is better, but even if a player knows what the option is nominally for it's not necessarily going to do what they think.

As far as I can tell, the Custom option is shown in two situations, but has different results which the player can't predict:
1. Both leader and recruit list are specified by the scenario - Custom gives the player the recruit list and leader set by the scenario
2. The recruit list is specified by the scenario, but the leader isn't - Custom gives the player the scenario's recruit list and a random leader from a random faction

It's not ideal, but I don't have a solution. Additionally, in neither case does the Custom option show the contents of the recruit list (though I guess some scenario designers might like to keep this a secret).

While I'm at it, I noticed that the way factions are ordered on the dropdown list has changed. I believe they used to be displayed in the same order they appear in the era code, but now it's alphabetical. That's fine, but could we make it order alphabetically on the id rather than the name? That way we can change the ids to order them as we please. This would also make it easy to ensure the 'Random' option doesn't appear halfway down the list.
My current projects:
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:
As far as I can tell, the Custom option is shown in two situations, but has different results which the player can't predict:
1. Both leader and recruit list are specified by the scenario - Custom gives the player the recruit list and leader set by the scenario
2. The recruit list is specified by the scenario, but the leader isn't - Custom gives the player the scenario's recruit list and a random leader from a random faction
The case where the player can choose bewetten 'custom' and a normal factions is quite rare, in fact i have never seen it. The cases were mainline usees custom factions is:
1) The LoW mp campaign, recruitlist and leaders are given and you can change nothing
2) 4p A new land multiplayer map, the recuit list is given and you can choose the leader that you want.
Bob_The_Mighty wrote: It's not ideal, but I don't have a solution. Additionally, in neither case does the Custom option show the contents of the recruit list (though I guess some scenario designers might like to keep this a secret).
Well perobably, but for the 2 cases menaioted above it'd make more sense if the recruilist were shown there,
Bob_The_Mighty wrote: While I'm at it, I noticed that the way factions are ordered on the dropdown list has changed. I believe they used to be displayed in the same order they appear in the era code, but now it's alphabetical. That's fine, but could we make it order alphabetically on the id rather than the name? That way we can change the ids to order them as we please.
I think this is a bad idea, the id= is untranslatable so the list will appear complateley unsorted on other languages, in fact it's clearly step backwartds even compared to the 1.12 bahvour where you can choose the order freely without hacking the ids. I do agree though that It'd be nice to give the author the option to sort the list somwhow so that the alpabetical order is only applied when 2 factions have the same rank in the authors order, im thingking especailyl about ageless which not only have like 10 'random' options, it also sorts the factiosn by 'original era' internally. This shodul be rather easy to implementz with a sort= or rank= key in [multiplayer_side]
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I assume that this horizontal scroll bar on the loading screen is unintentional.
temp.png
Should I submit a bug, or is this just still under development?
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:That's fine, but could we make it order alphabetically on the id rather than the name?
Uhh. No? When sorting strings, proper form is to use the localized form so that it appears in the correct order regardless of your language.

There are probably other ways if you want to have more control over the order, such as what the campaigns dialog uses (or even just a flag to indicate "don't sort"); that said, why do you even want it?
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

I reported about the problem before, but I understood the cause of two of them.
The first one. I wrote that animation is not working, but that was my misunderstanding. It was caused by the animation setting being invalidated due to the add-on "Generic_Animations".

Another thing I wrote that the text of the menu item is not displayed, but this happens when "use_hotkey = no" is set.
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:
nuorc wrote:For whatever reason, the vertical part of '+' in mouse-over is so pale that it looks like '-'; this is true for different resolutions and font scalings.
This seems like a font smoothing (anti-aliasing) issue. You could disabling it in your system preferences and see if it helps; I'm not sure if there's anything Wesnoth could do about it though.
I'm using WIN7. I have the strange "Clear-Type-Text" fontsmoothing stuff completely disabled.
I'm hardly able to read most of the Fonts in 1.13.8, especially the chat messages, though strangely the fonts in the write-message-line field are clear.
Screen Resolution is set correctly (1280x800), font scaling is set to 100%, changing this doesn't affect readability at all. *

1.12.x didn't have any issues with that (concerning fontsmoothing, i mean, i had it disabled all my life).
Example-1.PNG
Example-1.PNG (20.13 KiB) Viewed 6272 times
The name of the game looks like partially eaten by some rodents.

*Font scaling above 100% makes larger fonts, looking like partially eaten by larger rodents.

EDIT:
Example2 has good and bad fonts
Example2 has good and bad fonts
See how Menu Titles are displayed well readable, chat message not. Are those different fonts?
Last edited by Zap-Zarap on August 20th, 2017, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zepko

Post by zepko »

Not sure if this is a bug or something that depends on my keys configuration. For sure it is a different behavior with respect to versions 1.12 and 1.13.7, and I have not modified the game settings.

If I visualize the status table with alt+s, when I close it (either with the Esc key or by clicking on the close button) I find that the statistics window is open (the one you usually open with s key).
If I visualize the status table from the game menu, when I close it the statistics window is not there.

So if I open the status table from the menu I get the expected behavior, if I open it with alt+s I have something different.

I don't think it matters, but I am on Ubuntu 16.04 with an Italian keyboard.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

This sounds like #1736, which should already be fixed for 1.13.9.