Updating previous versions of Wesnoth

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

cluelessidiot

Updating previous versions of Wesnoth

Post by cluelessidiot »

Hi guys. So I need some help from the community in updating my version of Battle for Wesnoth. Unfonturnately, as evidenced by my username, I have no idea what I'm doing. Everytime an update has come out I've had to download it, but because I don't know how to update the game, I've stuck to playing the older version so don't have to restart everything. So I need someone to explain to me how to update it. I have a MacBook Pro form mid 2012. It has OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.16. Additionally, my current version of Wesnoth is 1.12.5 and I would like it updated to the latest stable version.

Thanks guys.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Re: Updating previous versions of Wesnoth

Post by Kwandulin »

After you've downloaded 1.12.6, you just install it like you've done with 1.12.5. You can just de-install 1.12.5 then, but make sure to not delete your userdata folder, where your saves/add-ons/etc are located, so the updated version can make use of those.
cluelessidiot

Post by cluelessidiot »

Kwandulin wrote:After you've downloaded 1.12.6, you just install it like you've done with 1.12.5. You can just de-install 1.12.5 then, but make sure to not delete your userdata folder, where your saves/add-ons/etc are located, so the updated version can make use of those.
Thank you, but do you know how I could locate these files?
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

There's an "i" button at the bottom left of the titlescreen. Click that, and it gives you the path to your userdata folder.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

...in 1.13. In 1.12.x you find that in Preferences -> (General ->) Paths
Try out the dark board theme.