Wesnoth 1.13.6

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GunChleoc
Translator

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.6

Post by GunChleoc »

Another example in favour of not using scancodes: In the German keyboard, Z and Y are swapped. So, when you're used to hitting Ctrl-Z for undo everywhere, you now have to hit Ctrl-Y instead, in Wesnoth only.

Another option might be to make potentially problematic shortcuts localizable, so German users can start off with . instead of : as a default, for example.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

GunChleoc wrote:Another option might be to make potentially problematic shortcuts localizable, so German users can start off with . instead of : as a default, for example.
It's a possibility, but it doesn't fully solve the issue - this is not just a problem of unlocalized shortcuts, but of knowing nothing of the user's physical keyboard layout.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:
GunChleoc wrote:Another option might be to make potentially problematic shortcuts localizable, so German users can start off with . instead of : as a default, for example.
It's a possibility, but it doesn't fully solve the issue - this is not just a problem of unlocalized shortcuts, but of knowing nothing of the user's physical keyboard layout.
Currently I believe a function is used to convert the scancodes into characters for display in the keyboard shortcut area. The inverse, SDL_GetScancodeFromKey, should be usable to setup the shortcuts initially to get the standardized settings without ridiculous locale introspection.
AKA pydsigner
Current maintainer of The North Wind and author of Heroics Mode.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

A few things I noticed after trying out 1.13.6 for a while.

1. There's a new type of tooltip on the title screen>multiplayer menu (that includes 'Join Official Server', 'Connect to Server', etc), which comes up in a box while all the other tooltips on the title screen appear at the bottom. Not only is this inconsistent, they also pop up very quickly, obscuring the menu. What's more it actually confused me - I repeatedly pressed the wrong thing, thinking I had selected one of the options when it fact I'd just activated a pop-up. If the tips must appear in boxes, could there be a slight delay in the pop-up box?

2. The game crashed after selecting Local Player, reporting only a simple WML error (I'd forgotten to close a tag somewhere).

3. The freeze caused by selecting option/description on the add-ons list is pretty bad (I know it's known about, but that hasn't stopped me falling foul of it). Is this being addressed already?

4. The new background is nice on the 'Create Game' screen, but it has a vertical scroll bar which it doesn't need, and a horizontal scroll bar which is does need but shouldn't. The cancel button is half off the right side of the screen, so I have to scroll over to press it. The game resolution is set to 1280x1024 whilst full screen (or 1290x961 windowed). I'm running it on Windows 10, with a desktop resolution of 1280x1024.

5. The 'Load Map' menu in the map editor can't handle long file paths. It creates a horizontal scrollbar which means you have to scroll to the right to see the Open/Close buttons. It also creates a graphical glitch when you select a map (with a single click).

6. Again in the map editor, there's a problem with scrolling using the mouse wheel. While the pointer is over the terrain options on the right-hand panel, scrolling results in both the terrain options AND the map itself scrolling up or down.

7. In macros/abilities ABILITY_HEALS and ABILITY_EXTRA_HEAL have the same id (id=healing). It was like this in 1.12 too, but I guess it could be a problem if you were trying to filter on this.

8. The semi-opaque background for messages sometimes make them hard to read in-game.

9. Labels seem to disappear during messages, which is probably for the best given the above point, but they also disappear when a) pressing Menu/Action, b) right-clicking to bring up the context menu or c) when the 'Attack Enemy' box is shown. This can have a bit of a jarring effect when they keep flashing on and off.

On the plus side, the new unit graphics are great and the gates are excellent! The [remove_object] tag is also very useful, thanks to whoever put that in.

EDIT: I've just remembered that all my terrain masks that worked okay before were messed up in 1.13.6. I had to redraw them, was there a change maybe to do with the border?
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:The [remove_object] tag is also very useful, thanks to whoever put that in.
You're welcome!
Bob_The_Mighty wrote:EDIT: I've just remembered that all my terrain masks that worked okay before were messed up in 1.13.6. I had to redraw them, was there a change maybe to do with the border?
There was a change at some point about how terrain masks (and maps) worked in 1.13.4 or 1.14.5, as I recall; it should have been possible to avoid having to redraw them by having "border=yes" in the WML tag IIRC.

But, I'm not sure if that's the same as what you're noticing?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Thanks Celtic_Minstrel. I've done it now, but that's good to know about the border=yes.

Anyway, I've now noticed a few other oddities with the map editor.

10. Try as a might, I can't resize maps in the same way I'm used to. If you increase the height of a map the new hexes seem to always appear at the top, no matter where you click on the little 3x3 positioning grid.

11. The editor also repeatedly crashes when I try resizing a map. The logs says: bad_lexical_cast.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: 11. The editor also repeatedly crashes when I try resizing a map. The logs says: bad_lexical_cast.
Cannot reproduce this one, can you give more deatiled information on how to make it crash?
Bob_The_Mighty wrote: 10. Try as a might, I can't resize maps in the same way I'm used to. If you increase the height of a map the new hexes seem to always appear at the top, no matter where you click on the little 3x3 positioning grid.
While it seems not to work as it shodul be what i obsere is quite dfferent from your description, here the _old_ hexes
always stay on the top while somtimes the 'new' hexedappear on the top or on the bottom dependent on where you click in that grid.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
wesnothbug

Post by wesnothbug »

I used Wesnoth since 1.12 and most recently Wesnoth 1.13.1, without any issue, usually while running an audiobook in the background.

I just upgraded to 1.13.6, and had performance issue right from the bat with just running Wesnoth. Without even starting the game, the main screen has been freezing and game becoming unresponsive for a few seconds, when changing options. Is there anything new that can cause this and can I turn it off?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

wesnothbug wrote:I used Wesnoth since 1.12 and most recently Wesnoth 1.13.1, without any issue, usually while running an audiobook in the background.

I just upgraded to 1.13.6, and had performance issue right from the bat with just running Wesnoth. Without even starting the game, the main screen has been freezing and game becoming unresponsive for a few seconds, when changing options. Is there anything new that can cause this and can I turn it off?
If you're on linux, you may need to install SDL 2.0.4+
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
RaphaelWesnoth

Post by RaphaelWesnoth »

Hello, first of all many thanks for your hard work, Wesnoth is a beautiful game and I am in love with it.

But I have the same performance problem as Wesnothbug, 1.12 is fine but the latest release lags even in menus.

I am on windows. Must I download or update something ?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

wesnothbug

Post by wesnothbug »

Pentarctagon wrote:More information is needed.
I am using an old work laptop. Win7, 1.6 cpu due, 2GB ram.
Had no problem running Wesnoth up to 1.13.1 and many of its campaigns both offical and additional. Along with other apps.

After upgrading to 1.13.6 the game became less responsive. With just running Wesnoth, the interface keep freezing pretty much on every action. Pretty much anything --changing language, clicking options, selecting one of the tabs there, clicking campaign, selecting one of the campaigns there, clicking the checkbox bellow-- will cause a couple of seconds freeze and windows thinking icon to appear. And windows task manager showing that Wesnoth process at 50% constantly.

I have used the official 1.13.6 version featured here.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

wesnothbug wrote:
Pentarctagon wrote:More information is needed.
I am using an old work laptop. Win7, 1.6 cpu due, 2GB ram.
Had no problem running Wesnoth up to 1.13.1 and many of its campaigns both offical and additional. Along with other apps.

After upgrading to 1.13.6 the game became less responsive. With just running Wesnoth, the interface keep freezing pretty much on every action. Pretty much anything --changing language, clicking options, selecting one of the tabs there, clicking campaign, selecting one of the campaigns there, clicking the checkbox bellow-- will cause a couple of seconds freeze and windows thinking icon to appear. And windows task manager showing that Wesnoth process at 50% constantly.

I have used the official 1.13.6 version featured here.
Would you be able to install versions between 1.13.1 and 1.13.6, to check if this first started happening with earlier versions, or if this is new to 1.13.6?
wesnothbug

Post by wesnothbug »

I can download it at home, but I only seen link to 1.13.5 on the offical site.

Edit: I just downloaded and installed 1.13.5 and its back to normal. I am not sure what is the problem but I'll start my new campaign on 1.13.5. If there any further info or test that you need, please post them, i'll try to check back in a few days.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Alright, thanks for the info :)

The best thing to do would be to open a bug on GNA and give the information you provided here, especially about it being new to 1.13.6, but I can do that if you'd rather not.