Problem with download (Windows)

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zkcheah93

Problem with download (Windows)

Post by zkcheah93 »

Greetings,

I am using Windows 8.1. I am not sure where to post this topic so I shall post it here.
I would like to apologise if it caused any inconveniences to the team.

I would like to bring up the fact that I have been using Wesnoth 1.12.0 and have stopped for a few months due to studies.
Recently I have came back to playing Wesnoth and I wanted to download the latest stable version Wesnoth 1.12.6.
I am using Chrome for the download.
However, Google has listed the direct download as malicious. So i wanted to ask for any clarifications.
I went through some parts of the forums and it said that there should be no security problems with 1.12.4 and above.

Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Problem with download (Windows)

Post by Iris »

The hostname at the start of that URL doesn’t look legitimate at all. What link took you there? It could be you accidentally clicked on a malicious ad on SF.net.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

You could try downloading from the download page of wesnoth.org. Its 100% safe
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
zkcheah93

Post by zkcheah93 »

I clicked from the main page of wesnoth.org. That's why I posted a thread here haha.
I clicked the Windows button and it brought me there.

Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Well, it doesn’t lead to any suspicious links for me. The URL on our link is https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth/files/wesnoth-1.12/wesnoth-1.12.6/wesnoth-1.12.6-win32.exe/download.

I’m guessing you keep having this problem? Have you tried disabling all browser extensions and checking your system for malware?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
zkcheah93

Post by zkcheah93 »

Ohhh, I found the problem.
The reason is because my Chrome version is outdated and SourceForge was still blacklisted.
I updated Chrome and now it works fine.
Sorry for the trouble.
I have no idea how to close a thread, can someone help?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Okay... That doesn’t explain why you ended up at a scammy-looking URL with a nameless host in front, but sure.
zkcheah93 wrote:I have no idea how to close a thread, can someone help?
On these forums, threads are only closed under exceptional circumstances, so you don’t need to worry about this.