Compile messages

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Compile messages

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

On Arch Linux, after creating a fresh/clean local clone of the git repository and going through the normal cycle of installing the dependencies, the -dev branch of wesnoth compiles and seems to work.

I noticed a couple things I wanted to comment upon. I checked the bug tracker and forums and didn't see these mentioned, so I'm posting here because it seems unlikely one would notice these unless doing a clean install, or working on the specific source files in question.

The source file ~wesnoth/src/xBRZ/xbrz.cpp produces several -Wmaybe-uninitialized messages. Checking the code, these appear to all be harmless. Is this being worked on, or should there be a ticket to note these warnings for eventual correction?

The source file ~wesnoth/src/units/animation.cpp produces a few -Wmisleading-indentation messages. Again, these appear harmless but I did not find any tickets. They are minor style errors and should be easily fixed .. I'd put together a pull request to clear the warnings but my head isn't in the right place for C++ work this month.

Several source files (too many to list here) use the Boost libraries. Some of these lead to one or both of the following messages:

Code: Select all

Use of this header (bool_trait_def.hpp) is deprecated
Use of this header (template_arity_spec.hpp) is deprecated
This appears to be an up-stream problem. It has a ticket at https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/11860 and the consensus is to ignore these messages. They cannot be suppressed. I am noting them here only in case someone else does a clean compile and wonders about them.

I have to say, though, for an open source project which has been around as long as this one, it was a surprisingly clean make run!
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
gfgtdf
Developer

Re: Compile messages

Post by gfgtdf »

Tad_Carlucci wrote: The source file ~wesnoth/src/xBRZ/xbrz.cpp produces several -Wmaybe-uninitialized messages. Checking the code, these appear to all be harmless. Is this being worked on, or should there be a ticket to note these warnings for eventual correction?
Hmm no at least i didnt know about this, iirc this files content wasn't written by us and i think fixing these errors by changing the code would just make it harder to update to a newer version of this library (although i am unsure whether there will ever be such a thing), so i rcoemnd to just add a pragma ingnore at the beginning, filing a ticket would be good still.
Tad_Carlucci wrote: The source file ~wesnoth/src/units/animation.cpp produces a few -Wmisleading-indentation messages. Again, these appear harmless but I did not find any tickets. They are minor style errors and should be easily fixed .. I'd put together a pull request to clear the warnings but my head isn't in the right place for C++ work this month.
Hmm froma brief look at that huge file i couldn't see any misleading indentions, you can file a toicker or just post those here in this thread.
Tad_Carlucci wrote:
Several source files (too many to list here) use the Boost libraries. Some of these lead to one or both of the following messages:

Use of this header (bool_trait_def.hpp) is deprecated
Use of this header (template_arity_spec.hpp) is deprecated
This appears to be an up-stream problem. It has a ticket at https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/11860 and the consensus is to ignore these messages. They cannot be suppressed. I am noting them here only in case someone else does a clean compile and wonders about them.

I have to say, though, for an open source project which has been around as long as this one, it was a surprisingly clean make run!
Hmm yes, as noted this is a upstream problem, since they are done with #pramaga message (or the gcc equivalent) there is no easy way to disable them without disabling other possibly usful messages aswell, you can file a ticket, but i don't think we will fill this.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

gfgtdf wrote: Hmm from a brief look at that huge file i couldn't see any misleading indentations, you can file a ticker or just post those here in this thread.
Here's the one's I remember.

$ grep -n '; i++;' animation.cpp 
1103:		if (i>0) std::cout << ','; i++;
1114:			if (i>0) std::cout << ','; i++;
1128:			if (i>0) std::cout << ','; i++;
1145:			if (i>0) std::cout << ','; i++;
1208:		if (i>0) std::cout << ','; i++;
As I said, just a code-style issue and simple to fix.

The rest I'll mark locally as 'WONTFIX' and forgo filing a ticket with y'all
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Hmm that function is actially quite strange, it is 'operator << (std::ostream& outstream, const unit_animation& u)' but instead of writing to outstream it writes to std::cout :s not sure what the intentions here were-
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

Pretty obvious, it's trying to build a comma-separated list for some reason. I can see several style errors. But the increment being on the same line as the if-statement is what the warnings are about. I wouldn't want to fix anything else without studying the code because the style problems I see in just those lines causes concern the entire module will cry out for major work and it's probably unwise to simply walk blindly into dragon country without a few dwarven thunderers at your back