Wesnoth 1.12.6

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Wesnoth 1.12.6

Post by Iris »

Wesnoth 1.12.6 is out!

Screenshot Screenshot Screenshot Screenshot

This is a maintenance release for the stable 1.12.x series, and it is fully compatible with previous releases in the series. As is the norm for updates to a stable series, this version delivers an assortment of bug fixes and other minor improvements in various areas, as well as translation updates. Read on for a list of the most notable fixes in this release, as well as a few known bugs we hope will be fixed in future releases. Players coming from 1.10.x or previous stable versions should check our official release notes for Wesnoth 1.12 to learn about the new features and general improvements from this series.
  • The game no longer displays false positive OOS errors in replays created by older 1.12.x versions.
  • Saving the game in the middle of a replay no longer creates corrupt saves (bug #23310 [Gna.org]).
  • A few potential assertion failures during multiplayer games were fixed, including an assertion failure upon the host leaving during an AI turn.
A few issues with recruit lists for AI sides in Legend of Wesmere in multiplayer mode were fixed. Additionally, the campaign will now display an error message and abort if started with the incompatible Shuffle Sides option selected.
Version 1.12.5 included a few patches for handling key sequences in Preferences → General → Hotkeys including non-alphanumeric keys, such as Enter, Tab, F1-F12 and others. However, following the release it was found that these changes broke handling of alphanumeric keys on non-QWERTY keyboards, so they have been reverted for this version.

See also bug #24186 [Gna.org].
  • Resizing the window or using certain debug mode commands no longer causes the minimap option buttons to lose their icons or forget their toggle state until hovered.
  • The games list in the default MP lobby no longer comes up empty when the Invert filter option is checked while the Apply Filter option is not (bug #23117 [Gna.org]).
  • The Observers icon in MP games no longer overlaps other UI elements on the top bar on low horizontal resolutions (800 ≤ resolution < 1024 pixels).
  • The Time of Day schedule progress indicator no longer overlaps other UI elements on the top bar on low vertical resolutions (480 ≤ resolution < 600 pixels).
  • Combo boxes now use the thinner menu frame style for their drop-down menus.
  • A long-standing bug with ford terrain transitions was fixed.
  • The move-to-targets candidate action of the default AI engine no longer ignores tunnels.
  • Two rare bugs in the goto candidate action that resulted in moves for other units being skipped after a failed action were fixed.
General bugs:
  • Start-of-scenario saves have some known bugs in multiplayer mode.
  • OOS errors may still occur in multiplayer mode:
    • If first a game is reloaded and then moves performed before saving the game are undone (bug #23316 [Gna.org]).
    • Undoing moves after a controller was changed during that side’s turn (for example with :control or because a player left the game) causes OOS.
    • Placing units into the recall list with WML/Lua causes OOS if that unit is recalled by the player in the same scenario. This can be fixed by giving the unit an id manually in a synced fashion.
  • Legend of Wesmere multiplayer mode bugs:
    • In some scenarios, human-controlled sides get too much or too little carryover gold, causing balance issues
    • In some scenarios, sides get additional recruits from a randomly picked multiplayer faction.
    • The Shuffle Sides game option causes issues. From version 1.12.6 onwards, the campaign will abort immediately if the option was enabled during game creation.
    • Starting with Chapter III (scenario 9), there are multiple bugs. The recommendation is to play only the first two chapters in multiplayer mode.
  • HP/XP bars of allied units are drawn over shroud with some side configurations (bug #23460 [Gna.org]).
  • It’s not possible to clear some default hotkeys with the Clear Hotkey option (bug #21983 [Gna.org]). This will not be fixed in 1.12.x.
  • Attempting to assign hotkeys including both the Ctrl and Alt modifiers does not work (bug #22219 [Gna.org]).
Bugs specific to Microsoft Windows:
  • ClearType font rendering is disabled as it causes glitches (bug #21648 [Gna.org]).
    This is likely caused by outdated libraries in the packaging process.
  • Consecutive line breaks (paragraph breaks) are not rendered as expected (bug #21649 [Gna.org]).
    This is likely caused by outdated libraries in the packaging process. There is no built-in workaround available yet.
Bugs specific to Apple OS X:

The following issues affecting Wesnoth on Apple OS X are known and they are pending fixes. However, many of them are beyond the scope of the 1.12.x series and require significant re-engineering that can only be done in 1.13.x development releases later, or cannot be properly addressed due to a lack of experienced OS X coders in our team. Thus, unless someone can contribute patches to address them, it is unlikely that these bugs will be fixed during the 1.12.x series.
  • Color cursors are forcibly disabled on this platform due to severe performance issues (bug #18112 [Gna.org]).
  • Fullscreen mode does not fill the entire screen when maximum resolution is selected in Preferences → Display, and user interface elements are scaled and distorted.
  • System commands do not work while Wesnoth is running in fullscreen mode (bug #21943 [Gna.org]).
  • The mouse cursor is not mapped correctly to the game screen contents on Retina displays due to problems with detected vs. real screen resolution mismatches (bug #20332 [Gna.org]).
    A workaround is in place making Wesnoth default to 800x600 on OS X regardless of the incorrectly-detected maximum resolution.
  • Trackpad tap clicking is sometimes not recognized (forum post).
  • Unofficial builds with OpenMP support enabled randomly freeze (bug #18144 [Gna.org]).
  • Consecutive line breaks (paragraph breaks) are not rendered as expected (bug #21649 [Gna.org]).
    This is likely caused by outdated libraries in the packaging process. There is no built-in workaround available yet.
There are a few more changes in addition to the aforementioned, including translation updates and minor bug fixes. Most of these are listed in the full changelog. An alternative players changelog is also available, including only items deemed relevant for regular players. Note that for this particular release, there are a few items that were not added to the changelogs in a timely fashion; those can still be found in the list above.

Contributors

Do you want to help shape the future of Wesnoth? You are always welcome to join us in the #wesnoth-dev IRC channel on irc.freenode.net to ask for help with getting started!

Downloads
Source code (387.9 MB)
SHA256 sum: a50f384cead15f68f31cfa1a311e76a12098428702cb674d3521eb169eb92e4e

Xdelta patch from 1.12.5 to 1.12.6 (3.1 MB) (About Xdelta)
SHA256 sum: c99928bd193f6d6719ccdbcb0533587a5dffaf3654623e9af48aa0f34bc87336
The installer package for Microsoft Windows (XP and later) is already available:
Windows installer package (353.0 MB)
SHA256 sum: 340a045deafcc236d2e00cb47598b4a5e8d656463270a3433ed637108916db71
UPDATE 2016-05-24: The package for Apple OS X (10.6 and later) is now available:
Apple OS X app package (391.2 MB)
SHA256 sum: 9b6415b04baa9bee3104b48a19c227d66b7a522be8ca60fccdb39b4653b03bc7
All known Linux packagers have been contacted, and binaries for your distribution may have already been created. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to install them can be found on the Linux binaries page in the wiki.

Downloads for other platforms may be found on the Download page in the wiki as they become available.
The multiplayer server for 1.12.x is up and running. This server can be used to play with other players running any 1.12.x version, as well as release candidates.

The add-ons server for 1.12.x is already running. It was started for 1.11.10 and it serves all stable, RC, and beta releases from this series.
If you encounter any problems involving add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author or maintainer.

If you find any bugs, do not hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using our bug tracker. We require your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how obvious, trivial or complicated they seem!

Have fun!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Whiskeyjack

Re: Wesnoth 1.12.6

Post by Whiskeyjack »

It seems for the Windows installer the "Store userdata (preferences, saved games..) in My Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.12" option doesn´t work as the paths (which I accessed by way of the shiny new button :D ) were specified according to the second option "Store userdata in the install location" (there were no folders generated in the install location though). Sadly the new button lacks the option to relocate those paths and I was unable to find the original paths and change them manually.
I solved the problem by copying my old folder with addons and saved games to the new location (and renaming "Wesnoth1.12" to "userdata"), but that took quite a while as I´m at a whooping 1.32 GB.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
loonycyborg
Windows Packager

Post by loonycyborg »

The behavior you're seeing looks more like 1.13 dev release and not 1.12.6 . At least 1.12 doesn't have a button to get paths.
"meh." - zookeeper
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Thank to the devs team for the update.

There is little translation issues that, as it turned out, appeared at some of previous development releases and was inherited to 1.12.6.
The first problem is that the name of the campaign The Eastern Invasion somehow turned to Eastern Invasion in the .po file of the campaign. So now the name of the campaign is not translated in the Campaigns list.
I should report it earlier (as I responsilbe for looking if all is ok as translator) but I do not use 1.13 and loaded it only one time. I did not expected that something already translated would be broken.
It is not a problem for me to fix it, but I suspect that now the name of the campaign is not translated in all languages. Well, I checked in some languages, and it is actually not translated in 1.13 in all of them, but it is somehow still translated in 1.12.6 (either translators corrected the mistake, or, more likely, it was because the fact that the ru.po of that campaign was updated by me during that period using updated English lines, that was already without 'The' in 'The Eastern Invasion', so by updating translation I pulled this mistake into 1.12).

There is another issue - in 1.12 alignments are correclty translated (neutral, chaotic and lawful), and even in 1.12.6, and they do not translated in 1.13 (in all languages I suspect, I checked some, really it is). How this can be? Possibly again some original .po file became wrong, and would I take new from github, it would became untranslated in 1.12 too.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

You have to translate 1.12 and 1.13 separately. Current stats on https://www.wesnoth.org/gettext/index.l ... ion=branch

There was an e-mail informing about the string freeze and that there were some string changes - seems like nobody updated the Russian translation in the 1.12 branch for a while.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Whiskeyjack wrote:It seems for the Windows installer the "Store userdata (preferences, saved games..) in My Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.12" option doesn´t work as the paths (which I accessed by way of the shiny new button :D ) were specified according to the second option "Store userdata in the install location" (there were no folders generated in the install location though).
Did you, by any chance, run wesnoth.exe directly without any command line switches instead of using the shortcut created by the installer? Because in all versions prior to 1.13.2, that will indeed cause Wesnoth to default to using .\userdata and ignore your choice when installing.
loonycyborg wrote:At least 1.12 doesn't have a button to get paths.
Preferences → General → Paths first appeared in 1.12, then it was moved to the new version info dialog in 1.13.2.
Aldarisvet wrote:[snip]
From the sounds of it there might have been a misunderstanding somewhere, so your language maintainer should ask Ivanovic or the wesnoth-i18n list directly about that issue.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

shadowm wrote:Did you, by any chance, run wesnoth.exe directly without any command line switches instead of using the shortcut created by the installer? Because in all versions prior to 1.13.2, that will indeed cause Wesnoth to default to using .\userdata and ignore your choice when installing.
Ah, indeed, that was the root of that problem then. Glad to hear it is solved for the future!
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

shadowm wrote: From the sounds of it there might have been a misunderstanding somewhere, so your language maintainer should ask Ivanovic or the wesnoth-i18n list directly about that issue.
I cant understand how you can call misnderstanding the fact that in 1.13.4 (and possibly earlier versions too) several strings became untranslated in ALL languages. It is not misunderstanding, it is a pure fact. Well, check Greek (hellenic) language for high contrast to see, or French or German.
1) 'Eastern Invasion' in the campaign list is untranslated in all languages.
2) Alignments, 'neutral', 'chaotic', 'lawful', 'liminal' words are untranslated.
3) Even the word 'Campaigns' in the main menu is untranslated.

@GunChleoc

I wanted to suggest you to see same in your own language, it is called Gàidhlig as I got.
In your language 'campaigns' is 'iomairt' and it is indeed iomairt in 1.12.6 but campaigns in 1.13.4. But when I went into campaigns list I found that there are many untranslated names of campaigns, not only Eastern Invasion.

Well, actually this is appeared to be a problem of 1.13, not 1.12. I will contact Ivanovich about all these.

An example for German
german.png
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Aldarisvet wrote:I cant understand how you can call misnderstanding the fact that in 1.13.4 (and possibly earlier versions too) several strings became untranslated in ALL languages. It is not misunderstanding, it is a pure fact.
I was referring specifically to the part about translation issues for Russian propagating to 1.12.6 somehow. The Russian translation for "The Eastern Invasion" becoming fuzzied in 1.12.6 is a consequence of this translation update committed by Ivanovic, rather than a template update (and the WML quite clearly says "The Eastern Invasion" anyway), so it’s most certainly a mistake resulting from a misunderstanding either at his end or the translation maintainer’s. My best guess is that the maintainer submitted a catalogue for master and it somehow got merged into 1.12 by Ivanovic.

Strings becoming randomly fuzzied in master/development releases outside of a string freeze — which normally only happens when entering the beta phase for the next stable series — is actually quite common and expected.

EDIT: Oh, also, I clearly said that there was a misunderstanding and implied that an issue of some sort existed, not that you misunderstood something or that you needed to prove your claims, whose truthfulness or accuracy were never called into question.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

shadowm wrote: Strings becoming randomly fuzzied in master/development releases outside of a string freeze — which normally only happens when entering the beta phase for the next stable series — is actually quite common and expected.
Oh, got it now, thank you.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Wesnoth 1.12.6 is now out for OS X.

Please let me know if you would run into any issues.

Thanks.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

ancestral wrote:Wesnoth 1.12.6 is now out for OS X.

Please let me know if you would run into any issues.

Thanks.
It seems 1.12.6.dmg does not open on OSX 10.5.8, just like 1.13.x...

Thanks.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

ancestral said that he can’t find a way produce builds that support 10.5, so I have added labels on the Downloads page and here specifying the new minimum requirement (version 10.6).
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

shadowm wrote:ancestral said that he can’t find a way produce builds that support 10.5, so I have added labels on the Downloads page and here specifying the new minimum requirement (version 10.6).
Okay, it is an old operating system, so I have to accept the matter.
But actually, 1.12.0-1.12.5 works fine on OSX 10.5.8.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Post by WTrawi »

Hi everyone! :D

I have a problem with the new version. I saw that the 1.12.5 version had been replaced this one and since that i cant open a game in multiplayer. Have somebody seen this problem?
Another Hungarian player (Horus if you know him) said to me "WTF I haven't met this problem, i think u should re-install the whole game." If that's the solution, here cames my 2nd problem: on my PC I have a linux operation system, called Debian (latest version, called Jessy). I only can install things for Debian from a package manager, but I haven't seen the 1.12 version in it so i cant re-install it if I can't do anything else.

So, can you help me?
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.