Wesnoth 0.8.9

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Ok, beaten Elves Besieged, Hard, No Losses. Not a major achievement.

The new portraits, and several little features (constant defense image vs. archers, among others) are cool!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Shadowfury333
Location: In a wonderful place full of fire, and brimstone, and red guys poking me in the butt with pitchforks

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Well, I gave it a whirl, and I like the improvements. I also tried it out in Latin. After which, I thought "There are hardly any games in Latin these days"
Darkness called… But I was on the phone, so I missed him. I tried to *69 Darkness, but his machine picked up. I yelled "PICK UP THE PHONE, DARKNESS!", but he ignored me. Darkness must have been screening his calls.
—Night Elf Demon Hunter
Glowing Fish

That is not supposed to happen

Post by Glowing Fish »

I ran apt-get upgrade

And instead of upgrading Wesnoth, it seems to have erased it off my system.

And now, when I go to apt-get install it, there is a broken package dependency.
<tt>
freekbox:/home/mnharris/public_html# apt-get install wesnoth
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
wesnoth: Depends: libsdl-mixer1.2 (>= 1.2.6) but 1.2.5-9 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

freekbox:/home/mnharris/public_html# apt-get install libsdl-mixer1.2
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
libsdl-mixer1.2 is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
</tt>
I imagine this will be fixed before too long. I certainly hope so. I am already going through withdrawl
/me goes to draw hexes on my kitchen floor, and pretend pieces of lint are orcs
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Wow! That was fast! downloading now... can't wait to see what has been done... and play multiplayer. :D
pravin

Post by pravin »

I was wondering if there is any way to just download parts that have changed over the previous version (like new graphics, or source files that have changed) instead of doing the huge 35MB download.

Another question. What is cvs? And how do I use it? Can I use it to upgrade my wesnoth-0.8.8 source files to 0.8.9?

I'm running linux, if that helps.
A warrior may die a thousand deaths,
An empire dies but one.
sanna

Re: sorry

Post by sanna »

darksteel wrote:sorry but i kind of need the ZIP
Could you please explain why the .dmg (disk image) is unsuitable for you?
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

Star Gazer wrote:Huge thanks to Sith for a seriously quick Mac build.

Seems like the fastest turn around ever.

Excellent, that man! 8)
You can thank Isaac for that... he sent me an email when the source went up and as it was in the morning during the week I had the DMG uploaded by the end of the day. When I notice the sources on Friday evening then it is a case of waiting until Monday before I have access to the bandwith to download again :)
Last edited by Sithrandel on January 27th, 2005, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

pravin wrote:I was wondering if there is any way to just download parts that have changed over the previous version (like new graphics, or source files that have changed) instead of doing the huge 35MB download.
Not useful for you... but once I did try posting patches for MacOSX which were a lot smaller. Hardly anyone downloaded them though. As there is effort involved in making and testing a patch I decided it wasn't worth it.
Sithrandel

Re: wondering

Post by Sithrandel »

darksteel wrote:if possible when 8.9 comes out for mac can i have the ZIP for it. the complete game with the campaign editer dosent work on my computer. Thanks. :) :)
Personally I don't do ZIPs. I tend to be a huge stickler for Apple guidelines and the DMG is the suggested way of delivering such files. It has the benefit of being compressed, checksummed & verified each run and you can run from the DMG so don't have to decompress.

Also, you don't have to worry about which helper tries to unzip and what they do to permissions, etc.

The Mac campaign editor is needing a lot of work on it. This has effectively stopped since no-one seemed interested in it and lunchbreaks are getting a little squeezed at the moment :(
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Sithrandel wrote:
The Mac campaign editor is needing a lot of work on it. This has effectively stopped since no-one seemed interested in it and lunchbreaks are getting a little squeezed at the moment :(
Personally it's not the campaign editor I use, but the map editor enclosed with in it. I can create scenarios using a text editor, but the map editor is the really crucial part. Many of us are using the OS X map editor from 0.8.5 (or previous versions) to make maps. Expanding the campaign editor functionality isn't that important, but the ability to import, edit and export maps using a GUI interface is really useful. I know you're busy, but if/when you have time, updating the campaign editor so it works with 0.8.9 would be really cool, if only so that we can make maps with the new desert tiles.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

quartex wrote:Personally it's not the campaign editor I use, but the map editor enclosed with in it. I can create scenarios using a text editor, but the map editor is the really crucial part. Many of us are using the OS X map editor from 0.8.5 (or previous versions) to make maps. Expanding the campaign editor functionality isn't that important, but the ability to import, edit and export maps using a GUI interface is really useful. I know you're busy, but if/when you have time, updating the campaign editor so it works with 0.8.9 would be really cool, if only so that we can make maps with the new desert tiles.
OK... It might be worth considering more tweaks to that then. BTW I have added a version of the editor which displays the terrain again to Sourceforge (unofficial package).
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

It's just it is hard to visualize the hex map when looking at the ASCII character grid. The map editor allows me to easily see how it will look in-game, without having to keep loading the map in the actual Wesnoth app. It would be a pain to have to keep editing a map, quitting wesnoth, restarting it and loading the new map. Using a graphical map editor is much easier. So that's why I really appreciate your help with this.
darksteel

help

Post by darksteel »

well i cant use the complete package because when i open the file the konrad symbol to get into the game is missing. So i really need the ZIP for macOSX. :(
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Darksteel, the application (which uses the Konrad icon) isn't missing. It's in the lower right corner of the window. Switch to a list view or scroll down to the lower right and you'll see it. Trust me, the disk image does contain the application.
darksteel

thanks

Post by darksteel »

thanks i will try that out to see if it works but do you think IF POSSIBLE you can get the ZIP for mac osx for me i kind of perfer the zip :)