Wesnoth 1.13.4

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GbDorn

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.4

Post by GbDorn »

gfgtdf wrote:I couldn't reproduce this on 1.13.4+dev on AoI mainline campaigns first scenario.
Maybe it has been fixed then. How did you test it? I am doing more testing and it actually depends on the event type:
- inside a moveto or recruit event, it works as expected.
- inside a "side turn" or "turn refresh" event, it is partially ignored for ai sides. The ai can perform a single action: recruit a single unit, move a single unit or attack with a single unit.

edit: changed wording of last sentence
Last edited by GbDorn on May 28th, 2016, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

I was testing in a moveto event. (or rather without an event, but with using wesnoth.wml_actions.end_turn {} in lua console during an ememy movement.)
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
GbDorn

Post by GbDorn »

bug #2.
I got the same error message than in the bug reported by James_The_Invisible and rogul. The problem comes from:
[modify_side]
side= # whatever
controller=ai
[/modify_side]

When the modified side is supposed to play the game crashes. This happens before a "side turn" event is played, and even when the modified side was already an ai.

error engine: Networked team encountered by playsingle_controller.
wesnoth-1.13: /build/...1.13.4/src/playsingle_controller.cpp:646: virtual void playsingle_controller::sync_end_turn(): Assertion `end_turn_ == END_TURN_SYNCED' failed.

bug #3
I cannot use :droid on ai sides. It works on a human side, or a human side that has previously been droided into an ai.
Typing either "droid 2" "droid 2 on" "droid 2 off" I get the following in lua:
Error: Can't droid a local ai side: '2'.

combo #
Using [modify_side] side=2, controller= from either human/ai to either human/ai then :droid 2 gives:
Error: Can't droid networked side: '2'.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

The bug in [modify_side] reported by James_The_Invisible is already fixed in master.

@bug #3:
Hmm yes this doesn't really suprise me, wha is there exat usecase where you want this behaviour?

@combo #:
this seems ot be caused by bug #2
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

@bug #3:
Hmm yes this doesn't really suprise me, wha is there exat usecase where you want this behaviour?
I would want this to allow easy way to switch if survival enemy side should be ai or player.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Ravana wrote:I would want this to allow easy way to switch if survival enemy side should be ai or player.
You mean for debugging or during normal gameplay? You could give me an example of such a survival?

And i forgot to meantion: when the [modify_side] is fixed i 1.13.5 you can sureley also add modification the has rightclickmenu/hotkey + [modify_side] to change an ai side to human.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Potentially normal gameplay. I have High Hopes to make adaptive difficulty for orocia to also make that gametype meaningful; currently having human intelligence there would be way too large advantage.
GbDorn

Post by GbDorn »

gfgtdf wrote:The bug in [modify_side] reported by James_The_Invisible is already fixed in master.
Thanks.
gfgtdf wrote:@bug #3:
I reported it because it is a change from 1.12.
I don't use it much but it can be handy in debug to take back control when there are multiple ai sides playing in a row.
You can change an AI into a human during another AI's turn and :inspect. A [set_menu_item] would not work in this case (using it during other sides turn).
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

GbDorn wrote:
gfgtdf wrote:@bug #3:
I reported it because it is a change from 1.12.
I don't use it much but it can be handy in debug to take back control when there are multiple ai sides playing in a row.
You can change an AI into a human during another AI's turn and :inspect. A [set_menu_item] would not work in this case (using it during other sides turn).
Not sure if this would fit your use, but ever since 1.13.1, [set_menu_item] supports the attribute of "synced":
[set_menu_item] now has a synced=yes/no attribute, which defaults to yes. If synced=no is specified, the menu item will also be available when it’s not the player’s turn and the results of any actions it executes will not be sent to other clients (which means that you must not change the game state from an unsynced menu item’s commands block).
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

GbDorn wrote:I reported it because it is a change from 1.12.
Afaik :droid during an ai side doesn't work in 1.12 eigher since it will just end the ais turn (and mostlikeley cause OOS) instead of giving you control over it.
Pentarctagon wrote: Not sure if this would fit your use, but ever since 1.13.1, [set_menu_item] supports the attribute of "synced":
[set_menu_item] now has a synced=yes/no attribute, which defaults to yes. If synced=no is specified, the menu item will also be available when it’s not the player’s turn and the results of any actions it executes will not be sent to other clients (which means that you must not change the game state from an unsynced menu item’s commands block).
Yes this will mostlikeley work but it might cause OOS in mp games, since it wikk onyl set the controller on that client.

The problem here is that although the wiki (or the OOS thread idk) say explicitly that you shouldn't rely on the controller= value to be the same on all clients and thus shouldnt be used to change the gamestate dependent on it, the game engine actually does exactly that: at the end of the scenario we by default proceed to the next scenario iff there is at least one living human side, whichl will casue OOS if a side is an ai on one side and human on another.
Rodick

Post by Rodick »

Nice changes, is there way to add weather animations (rain, sun beams, etc), also some weather sound effects with birds in background or similar and when it is night owls sounds... Not often but sometime.
Is that possible?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I think this is possible, but I'm not sure how it would be done. (There are already light beams as a terrain overlay, though I think those are intended for shafts of light entering a cave rather than sunbeams.) Occasional transient sounds should be possible too, maybe with an event each turn that decides whether to play the sound. (Or you could implement the background sounds as a "music" track.)
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

The campaign for the era of Magic (i forgot it's Name ) has at least one scenario in the Rain. I don't know how it's done, but if somebody cares he can dig into the code :)
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Another potential problem would be performance. Even the existing animated water tends to have somewhat jerky movements, and I can't imagine that adding weather effects on top of that is the best idea.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Rodick

Post by Rodick »

Pentarctagon wrote:Another potential problem would be performance. Even the existing animated water tends to have somewhat jerky movements, and I can't imagine that adding weather effects on top of that is the best idea.
Maybe option in video settings that would enable such things if performance is problem? (: