Wesnoth 1.12.0

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Wesnoth 1.12.0

Post by Iris »

Wesnoth 1.12.0 is here!

Screenshot Screenshot Screenshot Screenshot

A new stable series begins, following nearly three years of development and almost 8,500 commits. We wish to thank you, our vast community of players, content creators, and fans for your continued support; it is your feedback, bug reports, and boundless creativity that keep Wesnoth’s development moving forward.

We hope you will enjoy this first release!

As on previous occasions, we have prepared official release notes including all the highlights for this new series, translated to other languages. If you want to learn what’s new since version 1.10, go read the release notes! The “full” changelog is also available listing most of the changes in over 1,900 lines, as well as the players changelog including only items deemed relevant for the average Wesnoth player.

It is possible to use your saved games and preferences from the 1.11.x series with 1.12.x by copying over the contents of your user config and user data folders from the old version. See EditingWesnoth in the wiki for instructions for locating these folders.

Here is a list of the most important changes since 1.12 RC 3:
Two regressions were found in the new internationalization and filesystem code introduced in version 1.11.19, and fixed in this release.

The first of them caused Linux and Apple OS X builds using the new library dependencies to present encoding issues when the “System default language” option was selected in the Language menu instead of a specific language such as English; this caused non-ASCII characters (including punctuation) to vanish from the game (bug #22921 [Gna.org]), as well as other peculiar side-effects with string operations (bug #22791 [Gna.org]).

The second regression was less visible and primarily concerned special applications of Wesnoth requiring the creation of directory trees based on a relative path without an explicit parent (e.g. in wesnoth -p data/core foo instead of wesnoth -p data/core ./foo).
Since we were not able to solve bug #22068 [Gna.org] in time for 1.12.0, we have instead disabled save generation at the start of MP scenarios.
  • A new notification sound to play at the start of MP games was fashioned by zookeeper and added to mainline.
  • An UI layout regression from version 1.11.17 affecting the Add-ons Manager dialog was fixed (bug #22791 [Gna.org]).
Shortly after release, a bug was encountered with Windows builds of versions 1.11.19 and 1.12.0 that breaks some add-ons and a mainline campaign (bug #22967 [Gna.org]).
  • The official Windows package re-uploaded on November 21 is not affected by this bug! If you had downloaded the package prior to this date, you must re-download it to obtain the fixed build.
  • Builds from source are affected by this bug unless commit 01c3d7c38dd4bdb8cc6b74a9aa1765517f54b4fd is manually applied.
    Also note that the 1.12 branch in our Git repository already has this commit backported for the next stable release.
General bugs:
  • It’s not possible to clear some default hotkeys with the Clear Hotkey option (bug #21983 [Gna.org]). This will not be fixed in 1.12.x.
  • Attempting to assign hotkeys including both the Ctrl and Alt modifiers does not work (bug #22219 [Gna.org]).
Bugs specific to Microsoft Windows:
  • ClearType font rendering is disabled as it causes glitches (bug #21648 [Gna.org]).
    This is likely caused by outdated libraries in the packaging process.
  • Consecutive line breaks (paragraph breaks) are not rendered as expected (bug #21649 [Gna.org]).
    This is likely caused by outdated libraries in the packaging process. There is no built-in workaround available yet.
Bugs specific to Apple OS X:

The following issues affecting Wesnoth on Apple OS X are known and they are pending fixes. However, many of them are beyond the scope of the 1.12.x series and require significant re-engineering that can only be done in 1.13.x development releases later, or cannot be properly addressed due to a lack of experienced OS X coders in our team. Thus, unless someone can contribute patches to address them, it is unlikely that these bugs will be fixed during the 1.12.x series.
  • Color cursors are forcibly disabled on this platform due to severe performance issues (bug #18112 [Gna.org]).
  • Fullscreen mode does not fill the entire screen when maximum resolution is selected in Preferences → Display, and user interface elements are scaled and distorted.
  • System commands do not work while Wesnoth is running in fullscreen mode (bug #21943 [Gna.org]).
  • The mouse cursor is not mapped correctly to the game screen contents on Retina displays due to problems with detected vs. real screen resolution mismatches (bug #20332 [Gna.org]).
    A workaround is in place making Wesnoth default to 800x600 on OS X regardless of the incorrectly-detected maximum resolution.
  • Trackpad tap clicking is sometimes not recognized (forum post).
  • Unofficial builds with OpenMP support enabled randomly freeze (bug #18144 [Gna.org]).
  • Consecutive line breaks (paragraph breaks) are not rendered as expected (bug #21649 [Gna.org]).
    This is likely caused by outdated libraries in the packaging process. There is no built-in workaround available yet.

Contributors

Wesnoth 1.12.0 was made possible by the contributions of countless players like you, as well as the work done by our Google Summer of Code students during 2012 and 2013.

In no particular order, we would like to thank: 8680, Gallaecio, Aishiko, Alarantalara, AI/AI0867, Allefant, ancestral, techtonik, thunderstruck, stikonas, Ayne, Anonymissimus, aquileia, FAAB, bumbadadabum, lipk, boucman, iceiceice, vultraz, caslav.ilic, Coffee, Gambit, Nephro, Duthlet, Elvish_Hunter, LordBob, esr, Espreon, ejls, fabi/fendrin, Evgeny Kapun, perennate, flixx, gabba, Fluffbeast, gfgtdf, Groggy Dice, GunChleoc, happygrue/Wintermute, heirecka, sachith500, shadowm, Crab, JaMiT, jleldridge, worduk, Bloodycoin, zookeeper, loonycyborg, LovCAPONE, mordante/SkeletonCrew, Mark O'Connor, mattsc, Noy, nurupo, Ivanovic, zamotivator, fatality, Jetrel, Akihara, SigurdFireDragon, Brilliand, Soliton, Spoxi, iwontbecreative, timotei, trewe, Turuk, Upthorn, Velensk, vinipsmaker, trademark, Mefisto, lurker, rhyging5, doofus-01, Major, Sleepwalker, thespaceinvader, Zerovirus, Blarumyrran, gh0st, Martin Bede, Robert Spencer, Samuel Kim, vitiv, Zazweda, the_beagle, our many current and past translators, artists, and musicians, and anyone we might have missed.

Do you want to help shape the future of Wesnoth? You are always free to join us in the #wesnoth-dev IRC channel on irc.freenode.net to ask for help with getting started!

Downloads
Source code (385.4 MB) (MD5 sum)
Packages for Microsoft Windows, Apple OS X, and OpenPandora are already available:
All known Linux packagers have been contacted, and binaries for your distribution may have already been created. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to install them can be found on the Linux binaries page in the wiki.

Downloads for other platforms may be found on the Download page in the wiki as they become available.
The multiplayer server for 1.12.x is up and running. This server can be used to play with other players running any 1.12.x version, as well as release candidates.

The add-ons server for 1.12.x is already running. It was started for 1.11.10 and it serves all stable, RC, and beta releases from this series.
If you encounter any problems involving add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author or maintainer.

If you find any bugs, do not hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using our bug tracker. We require your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how obvious, trivial or complicated they seem!

Have fun!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
SkyOne

Re: Wesnoth 1.12.0

Post by SkyOne »

Congratulations to all developers and people who are listed above for releasing the new stable version. ^_^ I appreciate it.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Congratulations on getting the release out :D
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

First successful 'bugfix' that straight away caught my eye:
I always felt that wooden dowels would look better on the map table of the main screen
than rather new nails from some ACE hardware store. Some timid attempts to improve
the image failed: the nails were solidly wedged in massive planks, heads almost buried,
tough to grab or drive them through – good Wesnothian carpentry, maybe even dwarven...
But some artist managed to pull them out without damaging the wood!
If all improvements and fixes work equally well, BfW 1.12 is kicking off in the right way.
Knock on wood – and thanks to everybody out there who supported this release!
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

My congratulations too. Looks very slick.

How disappointing that the third-party bug causing part of the last letter to be cut off in the help tips screen is still not fixed. That must be annoying. (Is that a Mac-only annoyance? I don't remember)

I do have one minor thing I'd like to note - when you download on Mac (on a typical end-user's Mac with 'Security and Privacy' settings set to 'Mac App Store and identified developers'), you get the warning about this being untrusted software not from the App Store or a registered developer ('Wesnoth is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?'). Most devs won't see this, because they'll have set more liberal download policies. Given how well-respected Wesnoth is, I wonder whether Wesnoth could become properly registered? Is that feasible for a free game, or do you have to pay for the privilege?

http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202491

If it's only a small sum, I'll donate the money myself.

Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Simons Mith wrote:My congratulations too. Looks very slick.

How disappointing that the third-party bug causing part of the last letter to be cut off in the help tips screen is still not fixed. That must be annoying. (Is that a Mac-only annoyance? I don't remember)

I do have one minor thing I'd like to note - when you download on Mac (on a typical end-user's Mac with 'Security and Privacy' settings set to 'Mac App Store and identified developers'), you get the warning about this being untrusted software not from the App Store or a registered developer ('Wesnoth is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?'). Most devs won't see this, because they'll have set more liberal download policies. Given how well-respected Wesnoth is, I wonder whether Wesnoth could become properly registered? Is that feasible for a free game, or do you have to pay for the privilege?

http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202491

If it's only a small sum, I'll donate the money myself.
It's currently US$99 per year. https://developer.apple.com/programs/mac/ It's not mentioned obviously on that page, but the program provides a signing key as part of access to the App store, though it can be used separately.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

$99 as a one-off is OK by me. Same ballpark as commercial games. Worth celebrating the new release.

Thanks Alarantalara for saving me from digging through Apple's pages.

Is flattr the best way, then? They take 10%. If someone Official can message me if Wesnoth does want to take me up on the offer, that would be great. Tx.

Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Congrats! I guess it's about time for me to end my wesbreak
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Chrome why.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

We still have the "level" truncation bug in the UI.

If this can't be fitted on screen like it was before, we still should absolutely not truncate the numbers, but something else. I also don't understany why both numbers truncate.
"lvl" is an extremely short English string that is causing problems for translations.
"lvl" is an extremely short English string that is causing problems for translations.
truncation.png (76.77 KiB) Viewed 31935 times
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

GunChleoc wrote:We still have the "level" truncation bug in the UI.
Is there an associated bug report?
Nobun
Code Contributor

Post by Nobun »

About the image posted by GunChleoc
Well... I can add that the 1.10 version was better, becouse more ordered and using greater fonts.
Current fonts are too small.

I appreciated, instead, the idea of putting the turns of time schedule (example: 2/6)
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Nobun wrote:I appreciated, instead, the idea of putting the turns of time schedule (example: 2/6)
Why? Few days ago I was playing with 3 veterans friends in 1.12 and we all agree in dislike it. From our point of view is like write "poisoned" next to status green skull icon when unit becomes... poisoned. Why write a word when you have an icon that already says it, and even a tooltip with more details written?
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Nobun
Code Contributor

Post by Nobun »

I agree with your opinion, in general (in the the example of "poisoned", I agree 100% with you).

About day schedule: Yes... it is an almost useless in standard schedule and it is almost useless for pro players or even players that played wesnoth for a bit (in standard schedule).... but perhaps it can be helpful in two different situations:
1) noob/newbie players: that information can help them to understand better how monrning/night day structure works and may help them to have a direct vision about turns required to come back to good/evil time of day
2) when schedule is NOT standard (example campaign): think about a scenario where it is always night (ex. first watch). In that case the value 1/1 could allow the player to understand immediatly that day will never arrive (yes.... after playing a bit you can understand it, but in this way you are sure to understand it immediately).

However what I am trying to say that the new structure that shows unit info is too much confusing and harder to read than before. The old one was a lot better.
But, if I must find something that is not totally bad, this is the time of day information (for the reasons I said before).

Yes... I agree it is an useless information (at least for me), but - in a general view - I cannot exclude that the new "schedule day fraction information" can have some sense, mainly thinking about the two situations I said before.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

fabi wrote:
GunChleoc wrote:We still have the "level" truncation bug in the UI.
Is there an associated bug report?
Doesn't seem like there is, although this issue has been raised 3 times on the forum.

I have an account on the bug tracker, but where is the "Report a bug" button?