Wesnoth 1.11.18 (1.12 Release Candidate 2)

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Wesnoth 1.11.18 (1.12 Release Candidate 2)

Post by Iris »

Wesnoth 1.11.18 (1.12 Release Candidate 2) is out!

The bug-fixing action continues in this second release candidate for version 1.12! As we promised, we are releasing new release candidates every two weeks until all pending serious issues are fixed; and once they are, we will release version 1.12.0.

It is our hope that we will not need a third release candidate. Thus, the time for testing is NOW! Report all bugs you find so that there is a chance for us to assess their severity and fix them before 1.12.0! It does not matter whether they are regular gameplay or WML/Lua development issues — every properly-filed bug report is useful to us, no matter how trivial or obvious the issue may seem to be.
  • Players should continue to test this version and all the various new features and units added since 1.10.x.
  • Content authors should port their content to this version and test it now to ensure first-time players of version 1.12.0 — or Wesnoth in general — have a chance to play with their favorite add-ons when the time comes.
  • Translators should work on translating mainline Wesnoth and try to aim for 100% completion before the end of the month. Everyone with the required language skills can help — all the instructions to join and contribute to the mainline translation teams are in the wiki.
  • Typos in the English text of the game should be reported in the wiki so they can be amended as soon as possible.
Here is a list of the most important changes since the last development release:
Version 1.11.17 introduced a regression wherein the [move_unit] WML action (also used by the core {MOVE_UNIT} macro) would delete an existing unit when moving into an occupied tile that had the same x or y coordinate as the source.
Another instance of overlapping screen messages, this time affecting the planning mode activation message, has been fixed.
The maps for “Approaching Weldyn”, “Weldyn under Attack”, and “Weldyn Besieged” received some visual touch-ups in this version, to conclude the EI map updates for version 1.12.0.
Most major issues affecting Legend of Wesmere have been fixed:
  • Fixed broken sides configuration and starting locations in several scenarios.
  • “The Uprooting”: fixed Arkildur not appearing in multiplayer mode.
  • “Ka’lian under attack”: fixed units and labels offset due to different map sizes after Kalenz and Landar appear (bug #22073 [Gna.org]).
  • “Bounty Hunters”: fixed Olurf being unable to recruit
  • “Human Alliance”: completely redone and rebalanced. This fixes bug #21941 [Gna.org], implements #16600 [Gna.org], and addresses comments made in the feedback topic on the forums.
  • Chapter 4 is now available in multiplayer mode again
  • Minor (mostly cosmetic) changes to several maps
Several issues previously affecting this campaign are fixed for this release:
  • Fixed the Cloaked Figure appearing on a strange location (bug #22800 [Gna.org]).
  • Fixed an event in “A Subterranean Struggle” not working properly (bug #22799 [Gna.org]).
  • Fixed various problems involving the unit dehydration effect in “Across the Harsh Sands” (bug #22790 [Gna.org]).
  • Desert Shyde and Star units no longer cause 100 vs. 99 movement cost warnings on stderr.
  • AI recruitment in “A Stirring in the Night” on medium difficulty does not cause malformed range warnings anymore.
  • Fixed recruited Desert Archers being always male.
This is the list of bugs that we consider must-fix issues for the 1.12.0 release. They are all already being worked on. All other bugs of which we are aware are of lesser importance and will only be fixed for 1.12.0 if somebody — possibly you — has the time and interest to do so. This means that you need to immediately report to us any bugs which you believe are serious enough to require fixing before 1.12.0.
  • Start-of-scenario saves cannot be loaded correctly in Multiplayer (bug #22068 [Gna.org]).
    Note: If this is not fixed in time for 1.12.0, they might be disabled for multiplayer games instead.
  • Wesnoth does not start on Windows when there are non-ASCII characters in paths or filenames (bug #13926 [Gna.org], #20089 [Gna.org], #22265 [Gna.org], amongst others).
  • Legend of Wesmere:
The following issues affect Wesnoth on Windows and they are pending fixes. However, they are not being worked on at this time and might not be solved in time for 1.12.0:
  • ClearType font rendering is glitched and nearly unreadable (bug #21648 [Gna.org]).
    A workaround was added in version 1.11.10 to skip using ClearType altogether. The bug is likely caused by outdated libraries in the packaging process.
  • Consecutive line breaks (paragraph breaks) are not rendered as expected (bug #21649 [Gna.org]).
    There is no built-in workaround available yet. This is likely caused by outdated libraries in the packaging process.
The following issues (taken from this page) affecting Wesnoth on Apple OS X are known and they are pending fixes. However, many of them are beyond the scope of the 1.12.x series and require significant re-engineering that can only be done in 1.13.x development releases later, or cannot be properly addressed due to a lack of experienced OS X coders in our team. Thus, unless someone can contribute patches to address them, it is unlikely that these bugs will be fixed before or during the 1.12.x series.
  • Color cursors are slow to the point of rendering the game completely unusable in windowed mode (bug #18112 [Gna.org]).
    As a mitigation measure, the old color cursors setting is ignored on OS X by Wesnoth 1.11.8 and later, and the option is hidden from view.
  • Fullscreen mode does not fill the entire screen when maximum resolution is selected in Preferences → Display, and user interface elements are scaled and distorted.
  • System commands do not work while Wesnoth is running in fullscreen mode (bug #21943 [Gna.org]).
  • The mouse cursor is not mapped correctly to the game screen contents on Retina displays due to problems with detected vs. real screen resolution mismatches (bug #20332 [Gna.org]).
    A workaround is in place making Wesnoth default to 800x600 on OS X regardless of the incorrectly-detected maximum resolution.
  • Trackpad tap clicking is sometimes not recognized (forum post).
  • OpenMP builds randomly freeze (bug #18144 [Gna.org]).
    Official OS X builds are done with OpenMP disabled for this reason.
  • Consecutive line breaks (paragraph breaks) are not rendered as expected (bug #21649 [Gna.org]).
    There is no built-in workaround available yet. This is likely caused by outdated libraries in the packaging process.

There are a few more changes in addition to the aforementioned, including translation updates and fixes for recent and long-standing issues. Most of these items are listed in the “full” changelog. There’s also an alternative players changelog including only those changes deemed to be relevant for regular players.

An official announcement including a list with the most notable changes between 1.10 and 1.12 will be made available along with the 1.12.0 release when it is ready.

New Contributors

Do you want to help shape the future of Wesnoth? You are always free to join us in the #wesnoth-dev IRC channel on irc.freenode.net to ask for help with getting started!

Downloads

Source code (384.8 MB) (MD5 sum)

Xdelta from 1.11.17 (3.5 MB) (About Xdelta)

The Windows and OS X packages are already available and can be found on the Download page in the wiki.

All known Linux packagers have been contacted, and binaries for your distribution may have already been created. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to install them can be found on the Linux binaries page in the wiki.

Downloads for other platforms may be found on the Download page in the wiki as they become available.
The multiplayer server for 1.12.x is up and running. This server can be used to play with other players running 1.11.17 and later 1.12.x versions, including release candidates.

The add-ons server for 1.12.x is already running. It was started for 1.11.10 and it will serve all future beta and RC releases from this series, as well as all releases in the stable 1.12.x series. If you encounter any problems involving add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author or maintainer.

If you find any bugs, do not hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using our bug tracker. We require your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how obvious, trivial or complicated they seem!

Have fun!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Nephi

Re: Wesnoth 1.11.18 (1.12 Release Candidate 2)

Post by Nephi »

When will the Unit Placement work in the Map Editor. It is greyed out for me both when I do a map or a scenario.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

You need to enter scenario mode (create a new scenario or open a map saved as a scenario) and add at least one side in the Sides menu.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

I have noticed in 1.11.18 that [event] inside [era] is now being loaded in every scenario for campaigns. This was a fix I requested, so great :D . It just took me a little by surprise, as I didnt read anything about it in changelogs; was this fix intended or happended randomly? (of course thanks a lot to developer fixed it, if was intended)

Edit: Btw, feature in add on server displaying a message, when you try to download your add on by mistake, advising you are about to do a very stupid thing, is WONDERFULL... it saved my ass.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

I noticed I can no longer select a new unit without deselecting the current unit. Is that intentional? (and why? who wants more clicks?). Am I missing a way to toggle that off?
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

I am having a custom village terrain (working right in 1.10) work as a village that only gives defense as flat terrain (in 1.11.18)

Code: Select all

[terrain_type]
    symbol_image=../terrain/village/human
    editor_name= _"Cottage"+" a"
    editor_group=ruinable_villages
    id=ruinable_village_a
    string=^Vya
    aliasof=_bas, Vi
    heals=8
    gives_income=true
[/terrain_type]
{OVERLAY *^Vya (../terrain/village/human)}
Is a bug I should report or is due to some chanages in 1.11?
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

jb wrote:I noticed I can no longer select a new unit without deselecting the current unit.
It works correctly for me: I can select units without deselecting first. Have you tried (re)moving your preferences file?
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

tekelili wrote:I am having a custom village terrain (working right in 1.10) work as a village that only gives defense as flat terrain (in 1.11.18)
Only? Sounds rather unlikely since the aliasing code is the same as for core villages.

EDIT: Except that core villages alias to Vt, not Vi.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

zookeeper wrote:
tekelili wrote:I am having a custom village terrain (working right in 1.10) work as a village that only gives defense as flat terrain (in 1.11.18)
Only? Sounds rather unlikely since the aliasing code is the same as for core villages.

EDIT: Except that core villages alias to Vt, not Vi.
Ups, then I guess it worked bad also in 1.10 and neither me or other players noticed it :doh:

I got "Vi" from here, may be Alarantalara want edit it.

Edit: I posted in Alarantalara thread so he can know about it.

Edit: From Alarantalara answer I realized that this was really a change from 1.10 to 1.11 Given that this change broken some real code and I was unable to know about it until detect broken behavior... I wonder if something is failing in comunicate such dangerous changes to UMC authors :eng:
World Conquest II