Wesnoth 1.11.15 (1.12 beta 5)

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Crow_T

Re: Wesnoth 1.11.15 (1.12 beta 5)

Post by Crow_T »

Coffee wrote: Out of interest Crow_T, did you actually use the 1.10 middle click scrolling when playing?
Yes, all the time- I play Wesnoth with a graphics tablet and that is how I navigate. Testing between 1.10 and 1.11 it feels like some sort of curve was adjusted to slow things down more, is this correct?

EDIT: I always build Wesnoth from source, perhaps just let me know how to revert the code back (at least if it is as simple as changing a few lines anyway)
Coffee
Inactive Developer

Post by Coffee »

Crow_T wrote:I play Wesnoth with a graphics tablet and that is how I navigate. Testing between 1.10 and 1.11 it feels like some sort of curve was adjusted to slow things down more, is this correct?
The algorithm was changed so that it now moves relative to the initial middle click rather than relative to the position on the screen from the corners. The old behavior seemed to me and a couple of other devs to be completely unusable on a PC. Separately, the algorithm was slowed down from the original and could be reverted in speed if it is causing issues for tablets.
I always build Wesnoth from source, perhaps just let me know how to revert the code back (at least if it is as simple as changing a few lines anyway)
We want these things to work for everyone. It is possible that a small change can be done to make it work for tablets as you require as well as for desktops.

Can I ask what tablet is it and can you hold down a middle click or is it a swipe gesture?
The_Afterman

Post by The_Afterman »

So many betas. :o
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Coffee wrote:
Crow_T wrote:I play Wesnoth with a graphics tablet and that is how I navigate. Testing between 1.10 and 1.11 it feels like some sort of curve was adjusted to slow things down more, is this correct?
The algorithm was changed so that it now moves relative to the initial middle click rather than relative to the position on the screen from the corners. The old behavior seemed to me and a couple of other devs to be completely unusable on a PC. Separately, the algorithm was slowed down from the original and could be reverted in speed if it is causing issues for tablets.
I always build Wesnoth from source, perhaps just let me know how to revert the code back (at least if it is as simple as changing a few lines anyway)
We want these things to work for everyone. It is possible that a small change can be done to make it work for tablets as you require as well as for desktops.

Can I ask what tablet is it and can you hold down a middle click or is it a swipe gesture?
You misunderstood me- I meant I use a tablet eg. Wacom http://www.wacom.com/en/us/creative/intuos-pen . I play on a desktop, but instead of a mouse I use a graphics tablet and pen. Which is an awesome way to play, I recommend it :) I do occasionally use a mouse and do use the middle click feature with that as well. I will play a bit on 1.11 and try to give better feedback :hmm:
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Hmm...

Although the bug for when units don't attack if they move more than one hex seems too be fixed, I seem to occasionally have the same thing happen when a unit moves exactly one hex before attacking. Also, unlike previous versions of Wesnoth I've played, when I move units towards fog and "discover" other units, I get the usual "x enemy or friendly units found" message, but then the unit is still "locked in" to the path set for it, and I cannot change it at this point. I seem to remember that the "press t to continue moving" was an option, not the only choice.
I will now resume lurking silently.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

StandYourGround wrote:when I move units towards fog and "discover" other units, I get the usual "x enemy or friendly units found" message, but then the unit is still "locked in" to the path set for it, and I cannot change it at this point. I seem to remember that the "press t to continue moving" was an option, not the only choice.
(of course, this is not supposed to be, but) it seems right-clicking the unit unlocks it. ;)
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Coffee
Inactive Developer

Post by Coffee »

StandYourGround wrote:Although the bug for when units don't attack if they move more than one hex seems too be fixed, I seem to occasionally have the same thing happen when a unit moves exactly one hex before attacking.
Works for me. If you see this bug can you save the game so we can reproduce it? This could well be due to a "moveto" WML event.
Also, unlike previous versions of Wesnoth I've played, when I move units towards fog and "discover" other units, I get the usual "x enemy or friendly units found" message, but then the unit is still "locked in" to the path set for it, and I cannot change it at this point. I seem to remember that the "press t to continue moving" was an option, not the only choice.
Another one that works for me. I can point and click to a different hex with the mouse and the unit will move there. Don't need to reselect the unit or anything. Basically we need steps to reproduce.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Coffee wrote:
StandYourGround wrote:Also, unlike previous versions of Wesnoth I've played, when I move units towards fog and "discover" other units, I get the usual "x enemy or friendly units found" message, but then the unit is still "locked in" to the path set for it, and I cannot change it at this point. I seem to remember that the "press t to continue moving" was an option, not the only choice.
Another one that works for me. I can point and click to a different hex with the mouse and the unit will move there. Don't need to reselect the unit or anything. Basically we need steps to reproduce.
To reproduce this, it seems to be necessary to be attacking an enemy unit some distance away, i.e.,
1. Click on one of your units (to select it).
2. Click on an enemy unit some distance away (to attack it).
3. Then, your unit will be moved towards the enemy unit. If your unit's movement reveals some other units, you will get the "Enemy unit sighted! (press t to keep moving)" message. At this point your unit seems to be in a strange state where it is not really selected or unselected. Clicking on another hex does nothing (it doesn't move the unit). Clicking on the unit itself also does nothing (it doesn't select the unit). As SkyOne said, you have to right-click to deselect the unit (even though it's not really selected), then click the unit to select it again.
Coffee
Inactive Developer

Post by Coffee »

Thanks gnombat. Now I can reproduce as well. I've created a bug report for this and will look into it.

EDIT: This bug should be fixed for next release.
GbDorn

Post by GbDorn »

Portrait for Mermaid Initiate should use newer and better portraits/merfolk/transparent/initiate-2.png.

Unrelated but there are 2 UMC "The Fall of Wesnoth" on the 1.10 add-ons server: version 1.0.8 and version 1.0.1, the latter is broken.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

GbDorn wrote:Portrait for Mermaid Initiate should use newer and better portraits/merfolk/transparent/initiate-2.png.
I didn't realize we were still using the old one. I wouldn't say the new one is necessarily better, but it matches the style of all the rest, so it should definitely be the default.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

It seems that, back then, the decision was based on the missing staff in initiate-2 compared to the current default:
thespaceinvader wrote:It will be, once I've had a chance to ask kitty exactly what she wants it committed as - it would be better than the current initiate, but it doesn't have the staff. If I haven't seen her by the end of the week, i'll make an executive decision and do this.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

"Caves of the Bsilisk" map statues have a red orb now. It looks quite worse than 1.10. And my scenario TGT-Ceremony uses statues :augh:
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Hmm, in 1.13.0 the statues don't have a red orb, so maybe something just wasn't backported yet. :hmm:
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

They do in 1.11.13 and 1.11.10. I'm currently checking 1.11.6.

Update: In 1.11.6 they have grey orbs.