Wesnoth 1.11.9

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Wesnoth 1.11.9

Post by Iris »

Wesnoth 1.11.9 is out!

Screenshot Screenshot Screenshot Screenshot

Coming only about a month after 1.11.8, the ninth release of this development series delivers mainly bug fixes and polish in various areas, including balancing improvements, as well as some important changes for content authors. Of course, even without groundbreaking changes, you probably will be interested in checking out this release for the fixes — especially those that solve issues you were experiencing with previous versions! Besides, what are the odds we inadvertently broke other things in exchange and need your help to find out before the next release?

Here are some of the most notable changes in this release, in no particular order:
The Description section of the Add-ons Manager dialog now includes the first and last upload times for each add-on.

Because the add-ons server did not permanently record the first upload time of newly published add-ons before, this particular datum is only available for new add-ons published on the 1.11.x instance since February 8th, 12:00 PM UTC.
The mouse control scheme used in version 1.11.7 and earlier has been restored as the default in this release.

As with version 1.11.8, it is possible to add, modify, or remove mouse button assignments to game actions in PreferencesGeneralHotkeys if the defaults do not suit you or do not take full advantage of your input device’s functionality (e.g., mice with more than three buttons).
Based on the feedback we received, we have turned gold saving off by default for the RCA AI, which is the AI engine used by default in most singleplayer and multiplayer scenarios. There is no clear overall benefit to having this feature turned on and it would require many scenarios to be rebalanced. There are, however, individual scenarios which definitely benefit from enabling gold saving. Help with identifying such scenarios would be much appreciated.
As discussed and subsequently decided in the forums, Li’sar now has a unique Initiative ability, which grants adjacent allied units the first strike weapon special for melee combat.
Rebalancing of the campaign continues and is now complete for scenarios 1 (“End of Peace”) through 12 (“Giving Some Back”). Play-testing and feedback by others would be extremely helpful at this time. The first newly-rebalanced scenario of this release is “Shan Taum the Smug”, but some earlier scenarios have seen minor changes as well.
As usual with development releases, there are many more changes in addition to the aforementioned, including WML and Lua API additions for user-made content creators, translation updates, and many fixes for recent and long-standing issues. Most of these items are listed in the full changelog. There’s also an alternative players changelog including only those changes deemed to be relevant for regular players.

Do not be disappointed if the game crashes every now and then! Development versions are not the best for those in need of a stable gaming experience, who should stick to the current stable 1.10.x series instead. However, if you want to help us test what will eventually become the next stable 1.12.x series, you definitely should check it out and report to us any problems you find so they can be fixed in a timely fashion. Content authors are also especially encouraged to port and test their content under new development versions to detect any problems with their add-ons or Wesnoth in advance.

New Contributors

Do you want to help shape the future of Wesnoth? You are always free to join us in the #wesnoth-dev IRC channel on irc.freenode.net to ask for help with getting started!

Downloads

Source code (397.5 MB) (MD5 sum)

Xdelta from 1.11.8 (10.2 MB) (About Xdelta)

The Windows, Mac OS X, and OpenPandora packages are already available and you can find them on the Download page in the wiki.

All known Linux packagers have been contacted, and binaries for your distribution may have already been created. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to install them can be found on the Linux binaries page in the wiki.

Downloads for other platforms may be found on the Download page in the wiki as they become available.
The multiplayer server for 1.11.9 is up and running. This server can only be used to play with other users of 1.11.9.

The add-ons server for 1.11.x is already running. It was started with the release of 1.11.0 and it serves content for all 1.11.x versions. If you encounter any problems with add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author or maintainer.

If you find any bugs, don’t hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using our bug tracker. We require your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how obvious, trivial or complicated they seem!

Have fun!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Wesnoth 1.11.9

Post by doofus-01 »

Yippee, the mouse-over movement-range highlighting is restored. I didn't realize how important that was until it was gone.

Speaking of features that are now gone, the F5 no longer reloads in the editor. This has been true for a couple of versions, I could swear I'd seen it mentioned somewhere, but maybe I'm thinking of this: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 89#p562789 I don't think the thing in that link is my problem; I change version_suffix in scons, so I don't carry over preferences between releases, and F5 works on the title screen just fine.

This loss of F5 in the editor is a real pain in the ass for those of us working on terrain graphics, I hope it can be fixed if it is a general bug. If this behavior is reproducible for everyone else (just open map editor, press F5 -> nothing happens), I will file a bug report. I looked but didn't see an open report for this, though maybe I missed something.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Giving my first steeps into development version with 1.11.9
I am not sure if it is new orb or new overlays fault, but I am really unable to identify my leader or heroes overlays as "crowns" during game :?

Edit: After more analisys I become to think is both fault, but mainly orb fault. The shine of the orb when combined with an overlay makes the whole graphic a very noisy thing for eye.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

doofus-01 wrote:Yippee, the mouse-over movement-range highlighting is restored. I didn't realize how important that was until it was gone.
It doesn't appear to be working perfectly, though: it seems to stop working after one of your units makes an attack. You have to select a unit, then deselect it, to get the mouse-over movement range working again.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

gnombat wrote:
doofus-01 wrote:Yippee, the mouse-over movement-range highlighting is restored. I didn't realize how important that was until it was gone.
It doesn't appear to be working perfectly, though: it seems to stop working after one of your units makes an attack. You have to select a unit, then deselect it, to get the mouse-over movement range working again.
Can't reproduce it :o

Anyone else?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I've had this problem too.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

fabi wrote:Can't reproduce it :o
Correction: it seems that attacking an enemy several hexes away (i.e., moving and attacking with a unit in the same turn) does not trigger the problem.

You have to either
  1. Attack an enemy on an adjacent hex, or
  2. Move your unit first so that it is adjacent to the enemy, then select your unit again and attack with it.
After that, mousing over enemy units does not show their attack range.