All the wesnoth version fail at start

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jean5

All the wesnoth version fail at start

Post by jean5 »

Operating System : Debian Wheezy 7.1 64bit

I have three installed versions of Wesnoth, wesnoth 10.0 build using the package .deb, wesnoth 11.0 and wesnoth 11.6 built with scons.

All those versions used to work fine, but recently and I don't know why, each attempt to run them abort with the following message in the term : (or similar messages)
Spoiler:
I sometimes get to see the main menu without any images, but attempting to in any other part of the game cause a segfault.
I have attempted to recompile the compilated versions, the compilation run fine, but the error remain.

If someone know how to solve that problem, I would be glad to hear the way to do it.

Thanks, and sorry for my bad english.
Days are all the same nightmare, the one who end with death or maybe not?
gnombat

Re: All the wesnoth version fail at start

Post by gnombat »

1. Probably it is best not to be logged in as the root user when running wesnoth.
  2. You might want to use the command described in "Running the game without installing"
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

It appears that you some corrupted files in configuration files, that is what do all the wesnoth installs have in common (and problems with config files happen more frequently than problems with data files). However, it seems that data files are loaded from /usr/local/share/wesnoth/ and not from /home/mehelou/Bureau/wesnoth111/wesnoth-1.11.6 as you think they are.

Looking at your output, move these folders away:
User configuration directory: /root/.config/wesnoth
User data directory: /root/.local/share/wesnoth/1.11
Cache directory: /root/.cache/wesnoth

It should start working then. If it doesn't, that's really bad. If it starts working, start returning files from these folders back by small pieces, and that will help you identify which file causes the problem and have to be deleted permanently.

Running this might bring some results too, but it takes relatively a lot of time and RAM (it might need like 1 gigabyte of memory just to load, and run like 50-times slower, but it might reveal interesting information):
Spoiler:
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

It dies in a segfault, which would be a bug, but if all 3 versions do that, that indicates there's something wrong with his machine. Could be a library that's broken or even hardware problems.

And then there's the fact that he's playing wesnoth AS ROOT. (that could be the problem. Also, why would you do that?)
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Please try to start Wesnoth with:
root@jabberwocky:/home/mehelou/Bureau/wesnoth111/wesnoth-1.11.6# ./wesnoth ./