Is it possible to install Wesnoth on a Raspberry Pi?

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pqueiro

Is it possible to install Wesnoth on a Raspberry Pi?

Post by pqueiro »

I just got mine and I was thinking, could I get Wesnoth on it and run it on a TV?

From what I can tell, it should have the graphics horsepower -- if it runs on an iPad it should run on the Raspberry too given that the hardware's similar -- but it doesn't support Open GL, only the ES version of it. The CPU is also ARM rather than x86.

The latter issue should be a matter of compiling it on the Pi itself -- given that it can run a fairly standard Debian distro that shouldn't be hard. But the Open GL thing probably isn't so easy to settle. Anyone have any ideas? Unfortunately I don't have the technical know-how to do it myself, but... :whistle:
Had I been present at the Creation I would've given some hints as to the better ordering of the Universe...
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Is it possible to install Wesnoth on a Raspberry Pi?

Post by Iris »

Wesnoth does not use OpenGL or OpenGL ES, only SDL’s software rendering interface, which should work with any (optionally accelerated) X11 server. Assuming the device’s CPU can keep up, you should not have much of a problem there.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
pqueiro

Re: Is it possible to install Wesnoth on a Raspberry Pi?

Post by pqueiro »

:D great! It's about right for me to relapse back into Wesnoth too :) thanks guys!
Had I been present at the Creation I would've given some hints as to the better ordering of the Universe...