Latest Wesnoth realease for ubuntu 11lts?

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

amethyst_igor

Re: Latest Wesnoth realease for ubuntu 11lts?

Post by amethyst_igor »

I successfully installed from rhonda's development PPA on my Linux Mint Nadia KDE (4.10.2) system. Wesnoth is placed in my menu in Games | Tactics and Strategy. When I click on it, the intro screen loads, and when the status bar gets close to completion, the game simply disappears! There is no error message, and the system does not crash. I wonder whether it will not work with my system due to the new version of KDE (4.10.2).

I have downloaded three or four times from Rhonda's PPA, trying the raring, quantal, and the main flavors, each with the same result. Right now I am playing 1.10.4, which is available in Ubuntu's repository. I would be interested in 1.10.6 as well, but didn't find a repository until I read this thread and found out about Vincent's, but I wonder whether he is listed on the official web site.

I gave some thought to compiling from source, but the list of prerequisites seems daunting. I went the compile-from-source route with Ktorrent 4.3.1, and it took me about two hours. I am reasonably happy with 1.10.4 and have not exhausted all of the campaigns yet.

A new version of Ubuntu is coming out soon. Maybe it will have 1.10.6?

Wesnoth is a really good game, and what particularly stands out about it is the high quality music. I turned it off eventually, but it served as a good introduction into the game. I like many other aspects about Wesnoth, including that it is turn-based rather than realtime.
My desktop runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia KDE, my htpc runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia Xfce, my answering machine runs 64-bit windows 7, and my laptop runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia KDE. Each seems suited to its purpose. My blog is techlore by igor
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Hello amethyst_igor,
Wesnoth runs fine with Kde 4.10.2.

I never had a problem with an application (none KDE) which I could track down to KDE.

Please start Wesnoth from the "Konsole" and tell us its output.
amethyst_igor

Post by amethyst_igor »

fabi wrote:Hello amethyst_igor,
Wesnoth runs fine with Kde 4.10.2.

I never had a problem with an application (none KDE) which I could track down to KDE.

Please start Wesnoth from the "Konsole" and tell us its output.
Good suggestion--I'll try to remember that tip. By doing so I did get an error message:
elflord@ELFLAND ~ $ wesnoth
Battle for Wesnoth v1.11.1
Started on Tue Apr 23 11:52:25 2013

Data directory: /usr/share/games/wesnoth/1.11
User configuration directory: /home/elflord/.config/wesnoth
User data directory: /home/elflord/.local/share/wesnoth/1.11
Cache directory: /home/elflord/.cache/wesnoth
Checking video mode: 1680x1050x32...
setting mode to 1680x1050x32
Segmentation fault
elflord@ELFLAND ~ $
I am running Linux kernel 3.8.5-030805-generic. The PPA currently installed in Synaptic Package Manager is http://ppa.launchpad.net/rhonda/wesnoth-devel/ubuntu, distribution raring, because I had tried quantal before with the same results.
My desktop runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia KDE, my htpc runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia Xfce, my answering machine runs 64-bit windows 7, and my laptop runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia KDE. Each seems suited to its purpose. My blog is techlore by igor