Wesnoth 1.9.13 a.k.a. 1.10-beta4

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Re: Wesnoth 1.9.13 a.k.a. 1.10-beta4

Post by ivanovic »

SlowThinker wrote:
ivanovic wrote:Stop maintaining 1.8 and directly go for 1.9/1.10!
:) But all my customers play 1.8.
And nobody is willing to give a hint whether 1.10 is a question of days or months. So I stay faithful to 1.8 :P
Me saying that you should switch *should* be a good enough hint!
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

octalot wrote:If you wait until after 1.10.0 and then find a bug, you'll have people who don't upgrade when 1.10.1 comes out.
This is why BfW should automatically offer upgrades (or better patches) at the game start.
Now you are in a schizofrenic position. You are saying
  • we need you come to play 1.9 / 1.10
  • we need you don't come because you wouldn't upgrade to 1.10.1
Anonymissimus wrote:Imagine you had upgraded during the 1.7 beta series end thereby discovered the end_turn bug so it could have been fixed for 1.8 ^_^ . Once the next stable is out, the feature freeze is over, so developers go again happily code nice powerful bugintroducingfeatures instead of fixing bugs, so you will have to live with them until the next stable comes out.
I don't think this is so serious, 1.8.x included many bugfixes, but ...
off topic - about bugs
... yes, I noticed BfW keepsserious bugs very long time (e.g. the lost gold/moves after a disconnect). But some of these bugs weren't patched even with 1.7 (IIRC the disconnect bug happened in 1.6 too).
I understand there is only few C/C++ programmers and they prefer to do rather new things than to patch the bugs ...
but I have a feeling the problem lies in the organization of the game development. I fact I don't know how the development is organized exactly, but I feel my guess is close to truth: no central planning and decisions, if somebody is willing to do something useful then he does it and the code is added (often without any testing). The result is new and new code is slapped on, and a messy block of dirt code with no internal structure is growing ... hopefully the block keeps together so far.
(but I didn't see 1.9 yet, maybe I will change my mind then; btw my guess above is based on a player's and WML user's experience only)
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Radh

Post by Radh »

I have a question...
If I switch to this client, will my saves from 1.86 still work? I can continue a campaign where I left off, or will I have to restart the campaign?
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Your Wesnoth 1.8.6 will stay intact.
You will have two fully independent Wesnoths (1.8.6 and 1.9.13) in two different folders.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

SlowThinker wrote:You will have two fully independent Wesnoths (1.8.6 and 1.9.13) in two different folders.
Not necessarily. That will depend on the OS and the installation method and paths used.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

13arrage wrote:They seem to have accidentally replaced tropical trees with some kind of ugly hippie hedge-bush. Will that be reversible?
I laugh at your problems. :)
For me a problem is that deep water, shallow water and ford are too similar, and sand is similar to Rd (= Road in 1.8, Dry Dirt in 1.9)

edit: more details here: https://gna.org/bugs/?19238
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

I haven't actually downloaded 1.9.13 (waiting for the next beta), but I noticed back in 1.9.8 that the Orcish Sovereign was using the Leader portrait for its profile, and according to the repository the unit file still hasn't been updated.
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)