Wesnoth 1.9.10 a.k.a. 1.10-beta1

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Drakefriend

Re: Wesnoth 1.9.10 a.k.a. 1.10-beta1

Post by Drakefriend »

I really like the slowed colorshift.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Can the khalifate units stay present in the core, so that players don't have to download anything, and still can have khalifas in addons?
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

SlowThinker wrote:Can the khalifate units stay present in the core, so that players don't have to download anything, and still can have khalifas in addons?
The Khalifate were removed since they aren't balanced enough, so: No.
There is a Khalifate addon now though: http://www.wesnoth-umc-dev.svn.sourcefo ... /?view=tar
Which should also be on the server once that happygrue uploads it.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Anonymissimus wrote:The Khalifate were removed since they aren't balanced enough, so: No.
I know the khalifate were removed from the default era , but still the individual khalifate units could stay in the core: then people need no download (e.g. the Khalifate era) in order to play add-ons with the khalifate units.

(my question/request is related to distribution of units from a host? )
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

SlowThinker wrote:
Anonymissimus wrote:The Khalifate were removed since they aren't balanced enough, so: No.
I know the khalifate were removed from the default era , but still the individual khalifate units could stay in the core: then people need no download (e.g. the Khalifate era) in order to play add-ons with the khalifate units.

(my question/request is related to distribution of units from a host? )
No, they could not stay because they are incomplete and need *huge* amounts of rebalancing. During feature freeze rebalancing would break backwards compatibility to earlier versions and during the string freeze it is not possible to add/update the unit descriptions which are missing or at least need larger amounts of work. So no, there is no way for them to stay in mainline that allows continuing the work (at this very moment!) as well as satisfy our desire for quality.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

You could keep two versions of each khalifate unit: the main one in the khalifate era (this one would be a subject of balancing), one in the core (this one neednt be re-balanced, its images and sounds would just serve for addons that need khalifate units).
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

ivanovic: Maybe you would have hesitated a lot more to remove the Khalifate if you had an addon relying on them. ^_^

Anyway, it's too late for these suggestions. The units didn't change, so what one needs to keep one's addon compatible should be
-adding Era_Khalifate as a dependency in the server pbl
-an include such as {~add-ons/Era_Khalifate/units/} + binary_path to Khalifate images
-eventually an #ifhave no-Khalifate-_main.cfg then first scenario = something else which just tells to install that era. ^_^
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Anonymissimus wrote:Anyway, it's too late for these suggestions.
:roll: I reacted almost immediately after the Khalifate units were kicked.
(the smile was for fun, not for blaming anybody)

-----------------------------------------------------------
In Conquest Minus I use this procedure: In the beginning, I warn players by a message that players without kalifa units will be kicked, then I create test units of all needed kalifas.
But your advices confuse me:
-an include such as {~add-ons/Era_Khalifate/units/} + binary_path to Khalifate images
If add-ons/Era_Khalifate/units/ exists on the Wesnoth instance, then the units are installed already and the include is not needed.
If add-ons/Era_Khalifate/units/ doesn't exist, then the include does nothing.
The units didn't change, so what one needs to keep one's addon compatible should be
-eventually an #ifhave no-Khalifate-_main.cfg then first scenario = something else which just tells to install that era. ^_^
But wiki says #ifhave works on the host only.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

SlowThinker wrote:You could keep two versions of each khalifate unit: the main one in the khalifate era (this one would be a subject of balancing), one in the core (this one neednt be re-balanced, its images and sounds would just serve for addons that need khalifate units).
Would not work since the units themselves are not complete enough (missing unit descriptions!) for the (string) freeze.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

SlowThinker wrote:I reacted almost immediately after the Khalifate units were kicked.
Well, ideally one should have complained in IRC at the time the Khalifate were removed (r51886, 06.11.2011, 12:27 German time). If one doesn't do this one is in danger of one's opinion not getting heard. ^_^
SlowThinker wrote:If add-ons/Era_Khalifate/units/ doesn't exist, then the include does nothing.
I am talking about 1.9 only which throws a preprocessor error in this case.
SlowThinker wrote:But wiki says #ifhave works on the host only.
Right, #ifhave doesn't help you, disregard that.

But anyway you can just as well copy the unit definitions, this effectively requires everyone to have downloaded the addon.
In SoW I use a custom era extra for this, it makes it so that only people which will not be kicked from the game since they have downloaded the addon are able to join it.
projects (BfW 1.12):