Wesnoth 1.9.8

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tr0ll

Re: Wesnoth 1.9.8

Post by tr0ll »

vinimax wrote:when i try to download the game, it's stops in the middle of the download.is there a problem with my computer or the server?
Did you try a few times? You should get a different SourceForge server each time.
Does it stop at the same point every time?
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

SigurdTheDragon wrote: Part of what makes a game 'playable' is ease of use. By sorting according to alphabetical order of name, the list follows the most natural way for players to interact with it. If it's order doesn't make sense, it requires just a little more effort from the player, especially if the list is longer; thus slighty discouraging the player.
The order does make sense though, I didn't do it out of whim.

They were ordered depending on their unit type: Infantry, Artillery, Cavalry, Explorer, Naval.

Which actually makes unit easier to find in the list than if they are "ordered" alphabetically, they are all mixed up.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:They were ordered depending on their unit type: Infantry, Artillery, Cavalry, Explorer, Naval.Which actually makes unit easier to find in the list than if they are "ordered" alphabetically, they are all mixed up.
I agree that this is useful, and feel it should done by expanding how the recruit list can be view.

There's relevant discussion in the ideas forum here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34865 , which should be furthered to hammer out what could be done with the recurit dialog; and is probably the best place to continue this discussion.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Finrod

Post by Finrod »

OK, how do I install 1.9.8? I'm using Fedora. I've downloaded it, but I'm not to sure where to put it so I can still play 1.8, do I just dump it into the usr/share/ folder? Thanks!
Semper Fidelis! USMC all the way.
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

If you compile it from source, I think there is a setting that installs it into a different directory, something like PREFIX=$HOME. That's what I did, it worked fine.
Timshel
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

When compiling from source it’s not even necessary to install it to play, though. Also note that Wesnoth 1.9.9 is the most current development release.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.