Wesnoth 1.9.5

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.9.5

Post by ivanovic »

This is the sixth release of the 1.9.x development branch. As with normal development releases, it may include many more bugs than stable releases from the 1.8.x series — additionally, 1.8 content is not compatible with 1.9.x due to the many changes in the game engine and WML syntax between both branches. Don't be disappointed if the game crashes every now and then — "normal" players (those who want a stable gaming experience) should not use this release, and stick to the stable branch instead. However, if you want to test the future of Wesnoth and help us find bugs early, you are welcome to check out 1.9.5. We require your help for finding and fixing issues. If you find a bug, please do not assume that it is so obvious that we already know about it. Report it and make sure that we are aware of it.

This release includes the usual amount of bug fixes, graphics updates, engine improvements as well as translation updates. Yes, the last release was already a while ago and some changes that were originally planned for this one were not finished in time, but finally it is available with a lots of stuff changed.

So far there are no known issues (besides the stuff listed in the bug tracker). So let's directly head over to the most important features of this new release (at least the most important things that the other devs do want you to know about :wink: ).

Important changes and new features
Removal of Tiny-GUI and supporting 800x480 by default
Since Tiny-GUI, a system that scaled images down at install time to a smaller size and display those things ingame, was utterly broken, it was removed from the game. Because of this, for the moment there will be no support for resolutions below 800x480. Before, you had to compile a specific binary for this size as well as convert all images; this is no longer possible. Resolutions below 800x480 might eventually be supported again after the move to GUI2 is completed and we get OpenGL(ES) support, since then defining a smaller GUI should be possible more easily and zooming should almost come for free. When starting Wesnoth without any parameters the minimum resolution is now 800x480 instead of 800x600.
Build system related
The option to build without the editor has been removed. The editor is now always built into the game.
Of course there is also the full changelog listing (almost) all the changes since 1.9.4. A changelog for the most visible changes for users is the players changelog.

Known Issues (might be fixed in the next release(s))
  • Starting locations are not initially visible in the map editor unless you perform some change to them. See bug #17956 [Gna.org].
Downloads

Source code:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... 2/download (318.2 MB) md5sum
Here is the XDelta for the sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... a/download (1.9.4 to 1.9.5, 16.3 MB)
Check http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for information on using XDelta.

The Windows package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The MacOSX package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The OpenPandora package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

Many of the Linux packages have already been created, and all known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them to work can be found in the Linux binaries page in the wiki. Download links for other supported systems will be available at the downloads page once the packages are created and published.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ — but you should first try to get files through SourceForge.net to help us save bandwidth. Please get the files from SourceForge.net if possible.

The multiplayer server for 1.9.5 will be up and running soon. This server can be only be used to play with other 1.9.5 users. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

A new add-ons server for 1.9.x is already running. It was started during the development of 1.9.0. If you encounter any problems with content from the add-ons server not working as expected, please notify the content's author — most of them should be here in the Scenario & Campaign Development forum.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first! Instructions for bug reporting can be found at ReportingBugs. Again, we require your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how trivial or complicated they are!

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...

Bug reports in the forums tend to get forgotten. You will get better results by following the guidelines and report them in the bugtracker.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Wesnoth 1.9.5

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Every time I try to download the Mac version, Safari says the file doesn't exist. (Same can be said for Chrome or Firefox
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
juderiverman

Post by juderiverman »

it did take a while from 1.94 to 1.95.

wish there come some really "groundbreaking" changes.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

juderiverman wrote:it did take a while from 1.94 to 1.95.

:augh: there WERE many groundbreaking changes. And also, Kalifa was originally planned to be part 1.9.5 iirc.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

monochromatic wrote:
juderiverman wrote:it did take a while from 1.94 to 1.95.

:augh: there WERE many groundbreaking changes. And also, Kalifa was originally planned to be part 1.9.5 iirc.
One of those groudbreaking changes was the new Old English translation. :hmm:
R.I.P
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

hhyloc wrote:
monochromatic wrote: :augh: there WERE many groundbreaking changes. And also, Kalifa was originally planned to be part 1.9.5 iirc.
One of those groudbreaking changes was the new Old English translation :hmm:
I was surprised.
wink, Esperon. Wink.
Did you only read the player's changelog? I was referring to the updated WML and Lua capabilities. And lots of internal bug fixing.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

No, I did read the complete change log. And yes I knew those WML and Lua and bugfix changes was groundbreaking. My last post wasn't clear enough, I meant the new Old English surpised me, I didn't mean to imply that the other changes wasn't groundbreaking. :)

Edit: If you notice, you'll see that I removed the "I was surprised" part before you reply.
R.I.P
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

I found a bug and discovered that it was also in the old 1.9.x releases. Leaders who are fogged (Or shrouded) appear as "Unknown unit" in the status table, but they remain that way way even if they're in your view.
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Pewskeepski wrote:I found a bug and discovered that it was also in the old 1.9.x releases. Leaders who are fogged (Or shrouded) appear as "Unknown unit" in the status table, but they remain that way way even if they're in your view.
It's been like that since I started playing. :hmm:
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

and you havn't posted a bug yet ? ;)
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

[quote="Boucman"]and you havn't posted a bug yet ?[/quote]
Well, I always thought it was intended..
Filing one now..