Wesnoth 1.9.4

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.9.4

Post by ivanovic »

This is the fifth release of the 1.9.x development branch. As with normal development releases, it may include many more bugs than stable releases from the 1.8.x series — additionally, 1.8 content is not compatible with 1.9.x due to the many changes in the game engine and WML syntax between both branches. Don't be disappointed if the game crashes every now and then — "normal" players (those who want a stable gaming experience) should not use this release, and stick to the stable branch instead.. However, if you want to test the future of Wesnoth and help us find bugs early, you are welcome to check out 1.9.4. We require your help for finding and fixing issues. If you find a bug, please do not assume that it is so obvious that we already know about it. Report it and make sure that we are aware of it.

This release includes the usual amount of bug fixes, graphics updates, engine improvements as well as translation updates.

So far there are no known issues (besides the stuff listed in the bug tracker). So let's directly head over to the most important features of this new release (at least the most important things that the other devs do want you to know about :wink: ).

Important changes and new features
Add-on description box
The add-on description box in the Download dialog has been improved and now displays extra information about the selected add-on, including bundled translations.
Autotools build system
Autotools are no longer a supported build system. Instead you should either switch to cmake or scons. Information for building is eg available in the wiki or in the INSTALL file included in the tarball.
Custom attack ranges
Custom attack ranges and types can now be translated. To do this for range "artillery" and damage type "explosive", add a top-level [+language] tag to your UMC as follows:

Code: Select all

[+language]
    # Translate custom range
    range_artillery= _ "artillery"

# Translate custom attack type
    type_explosive = _ "explosive"
[/language]
Of course there is also the full changelog listing (almost) all the changes since 1.9.3. A changelog for the most visible changes for users is the players changelog.

Known Issues (might be fixed in the next release(s))
  • Disabling of building the editor (which ends built into the game binary!) is not possible in this release (because of a bug). There is already a fix for this in trunk, but so far it is not sure if we don't want to completely remove support for disabling compilation of the editor into the game.
  • Basically everything listed in the bug tracker can be considered as 'known'. But we won't manage to fix all those problems for the next release. :wink: Besides this there is nothing special to mention
Downloads

Source code:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... 2/download (318.9 MB) md5sum
Here is the XDelta for the sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... a/download (1.9.3 to 1.9.4, 5.6 MB)
Check http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for information on using XDelta.

The Windows package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The MacOSX package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The OpenPandora package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

Many of the Linux packages have already been created, and all known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them to work can be found in the Linux binaries page in the wiki. Download links for other supported systems will be available at the downloads page once the packages are created and published.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ — but you should first try to get files through SourceForge.net to help us save bandwidth. Please get the files from SourceForge.net if possible.

The multiplayer server for 1.9.4 will be up and running soon. This server can be only be used to play with other 1.9.4 users. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

A new add-ons server for 1.9.x is already running. It was started during the development of 1.9.0. If you encounter any problems with content from the add-ons server not working as expected, please notify the content's author — most of them should be here in the Scenario & Campaign Development forum.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first! Instructions for bug reporting can be found at ReportingBugs. Again, we require your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how trivial or complicated they are!

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...

Bug reports in the forums tend to get forgotten. You will get better results by following the guidelines and report them in the bugtracker.
Ceres
Forum Regular

Re: Wesnoth 1.9.4

Post by Ceres »

It's nice that some extra information about drakes was added, but I don't think this should go in "Units", where it's a bit distracting:
Spoiler:
Wouldn't be "Encyclopedia" be a better place?

Oh, and when I click on "Swarming" there, I get a parse error about an unterminated single quote.
HaJo
Inactive Developer

Post by HaJo »

News - Wesnoth 1.9.4: Development Release
Monday, January 17 2010
That would be last year ?
-HaJo
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Fixed. Feel free to throw fruit at Ivanovic. ;)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

shadowmaster wrote:Fixed. Feel free to throw fruit at Ivanovic. ;)
Tasty fruits are fine! Instead of throwing better directly hand them to me, then they are still edible. I'd like to have some nice apples or maybe a pear. A bunch of grapes would be fine, too...
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

ivanovic wrote:
shadowmaster wrote:Fixed. Feel free to throw fruit at Ivanovic. ;)
Tasty fruits are fine! Instead of throwing better directly hand them to me, then they are still edible. I'd like to have some nice apples or maybe a pear. A bunch of grapes would be fine, too...
In my local supermarket they now sell the 3 kg packs of oranges for 1,69 € each, while the 1.5 kg packs cost still 1,99 €. So I have now too much oranges, can I send some to you?
Randy

Post by Randy »

Just a flame targeted question, the level of coding required is beyond me, but is it easier for the person who packages the new version to just post an update for the new version in every OS instead of the full game download?
It takes me a whole hour to download, not to say that it didn't take hours for the developers to create, but would it be easier to leave 1.9.3 as a full download, and when you login to the Multiplayer server auto update (Patch) your current version?
I know I have read the whole: "If you have a great Idea, put your coding where your mouth is," and well I don't know how, and don't care to know, and in fact, quite fine downloading an hours worth of software to play this great game.

:twisted: flame on!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Randy wrote:Just a flame targeted question, the level of coding required is beyond me, but is it easier for the person who packages the new version to just post an update for the new version in every OS instead of the full game download?
No, but see this.

Also, don’t try inciting flamewars around here. It’s not good for you.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

I miss the 1.9.3 lobby look..though not at the cost of crashes it caused. I suppose it was resigned from due to no solution to those?

Been playing around with minimap looks? I'm sorry to say that but it looks horrible, most horrible on small maps - the lines separating columns of hexes are way too visible for comfort

And the issue with oos wars between 1.9.3 and 1.9.4 you already know..or i presume you do

I failed to find any other section about dev release feedback so here's my input, will be editing this post if I find anything else worth notice, but so far everything else is thumbs up.
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Krake

Post by Krake »

I agree with StDrake about the minimap. Also although the new water tiles look good, I think there are not enough contrast between deep and shallow water. At times it can be hard to tell them apart. Otherwise I think it's a nice update.
ozean

Post by ozean »

Krake wrote:Also although the new water tiles look good, I think there are not enough contrast between deep and shallow water. At times it can be hard to tell them apart. Otherwise I think it's a nice update.
Yes, I have also found myself in situations where I failed to recognize the difference at first sight.
Orage

Post by Orage »

Units lose extra exp. on level-up. i.e. when they need 3 and get a kill, 5 points are wasted. That's a bug, right? I noticed this in muti-player, haven't tested it in campaigns.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Orage wrote:Units lose extra exp. on level-up. i.e. when they need 3 and get a kill, 5 points are wasted. That's a bug, right? I noticed this in muti-player, haven't tested it in campaigns.
I did and yes, campaigns have this same problem.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Orage wrote:Units lose extra exp. on level-up. i.e. when they need 3 and get a kill, 5 points are wasted. That's a bug, right? I noticed this in muti-player, haven't tested it in campaigns.
already fixed
will be in 1.9.5
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Orage

Post by Orage »

Anonymissimus wrote:
already fixed
will be in 1.9.5
Thanks for the quick response and the good work