Wesnoth 1.9.0

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: Wesnoth 1.9.0

Post by Eleazar »

* The hover hex and disabled button things are fixed in trunk.

* The smeary screen is a known issue for macs when not in fullscreen.

No need to report these-- i don't know about the rest
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
StevenAus

Post by StevenAus »

If I'm wanting to suggest a feature for the 1.9 series (the custom recall cost based on a particular unit's characteristics), do I make a report on gna.com or discuss it in this thread first? :)

Best regards,
Steven.
My Life Purpose Is To Teach The World To Fish For Life. I AM Steven Russell Lynch Abundance That I AM. Empowerment Is My Name And Fostering Self-Responsibility Is My Game.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Eleazar wrote:Time of Day areas are now visible if you have the "local time of day light" turned on. That means in your scenario you can set a hex to always be day, and it will not receive the color-shifting that night, dusk and dawn get. This should be more attractive than the overlay method.
The thing is that's not the usage I was thinking of.

I was thinking of a light tile to use in decorative light sources like lamps or campfires, which look kinda odd with the little beams coming from above, and just making it have the same color it would have during daytime is no-no, wouldn't look good at all.

Also being optional kinda beats the point of decorating.
Alink
Inactive Developer

Post by Alink »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote: I was thinking of a light tile to use in decorative light sources like lamps or campfires, which look kinda odd with the little beams coming from above, and just making it have the same color it would have during daytime is no-no, wouldn't look good at all.

Also being optional kinda beats the point of decorating.
You can also define a new ToD "underground with lamp" or "outside near campfire", define specific RGB color for those, and use [time_area] on the wanted hexes.

The fact that it's optional is not a final decision. The current code is just a working prototype to see how it looks. Few days before the release, it was made possible to activate it only because it seems to work fine (and looks ok) and because the nice new terrains work better with it. But the code is very far from the final implementation. In particular, the memory usage is not yet very controlled (even if it seems to stay reasonable). When the optimized version will manage that cleanly, then it will be activated by default. However, I am not sure if we will remove the option, because in theory a map author can really abuse the light engine, like adding many lamps and campfires ;). But need to wait benchmark of the optimized version to decide that.

And about possibly useless decorating. Note that users can already disable halos, standing/idle or terrain anims. In fact, having option for special effects allow you to use them more, since users with older box can always disable it if they have a problem. Anyway, display option in games is an old debate.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Alink wrote:However, I am not sure if we will remove the option, because in theory a map author can really abuse the light engine, like adding many lamps and campfires ;).
Abusing it... like this?
Spoiler:
That's why I think using a terrain the current lit would serve the purpose, is less anoying and it doesn't eat up the processor.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

StevenAus wrote:If I'm wanting to suggest a feature for the 1.9 series (the custom recall cost based on a particular unit's characteristics), do I make a report on gna.com or discuss it in this thread first? :)

Best regards,
Steven.
As I understand, discuss it first in the ideas forum, and if people think it is a good idea, make a request on gna (.org, not .com), linking to the idea thread.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

@ Papasmurf: You could also just draw a transparent white halo/reuse the illuminate halo and stick it over your lamps with a standard item thing. You could even make it a bit yellow-er if you wanted, since these are electric lamps :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Alink
Inactive Developer

Post by Alink »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote: That's why I think using a terrain the current lit would serve the purpose, is less anoying and it doesn't eat up the processor.
Yes, as Dixie said, you can use several techniques or combine them depending what result you want. IIRC one UtBS scenario use campfire(an item I think) with halo and ToD area. This has also the advantage to solve your problem about option disabling one effect, the others are still there to indicate the gameplay element.

BTW, I mentioned ToD light because you complained about "having same color it would have during daytime", and one new thing possible with the ToD color-shift is to allow better colored light, like a blue orb which will only show pixels having some blue (as a real blue light would do). It works by color addition, so it's not perfectly realistic yet, but it's much better than the alpha-blending used by the other overlay techniques (which just add a layer of blue on top of everything). This also better combine with outside ToD, for example a lamp outside should not have a visible overlay during the day. OtOH, you can also disable halo/overlay by WML or use the ToD terrain [variant].

Also, small precision, the ToD effect doesn't really use the processor more (maybe a bit if you have a lot of separated [time_area], but that will be optimized), but use more memory. Halo hurts framerate and use some memory. Terrain overlay are free.

Again, it's probably not a problem, and it will be optimized later.
galicae
Translator

Post by galicae »

lots of thanks for the UMC editor and all its features. It took me 2 months to upload my campaign, and almost two years to correctly use wmllint.
I am really, genuinely thankful.
working on the greek translation
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

StevenAus wrote:If I'm wanting to suggest a feature for the 1.9 series (the custom recall cost based on a particular unit's characteristics), do I make a report on gna.com or discuss it in this thread first? :)

Best regards,
Steven.
I don't think this would be controversial, and is probably one that would fit EasyCoding...

could you open a feature request and PM me when you're done so I add it to the wiki page ? thx
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

I don't understand the feature request you've filed.

What about a recall_cost attribute in unit_type ? Default is the base recall cost from game_config. Created units get a modifieable recall_cost key, default the one from the type. When recalling, default cost is the one from game config again. This can probably mostly use "existing structures" (and belongs thereby to the less difficult codings :P). The engine knows nothing about how you want to customize your recall costs, you can do the characterisctics check in wml unless you know them already.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
StevenAus

Post by StevenAus »

Okay, that sounds fine. So, the player would be told what the customized cost would be (and the AI never needs to know, either now or in the future, of recall possibilities)?

Best regards,
Steven.
My Life Purpose Is To Teach The World To Fish For Life. I AM Steven Russell Lynch Abundance That I AM. Empowerment Is My Name And Fostering Self-Responsibility Is My Game.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Well I finished Dead Waters, it was okay. I really liked the revolt scenario.

I think the level you fight against drakes when you reach some island is ridiculously easy though.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Scenery 4 of Liberty is completely bugged. The one in Elsenfar.

At night the human enemies are supposed to become undead, but most of the units are not replaced by undead, not even the leader, so basically the player autoamatically wins in turn 3 because the enemy leader and the rest do not respawn.
boru

Post by boru »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:Scenery 4 of Liberty is completely bugged. The one in Elsenfar.
This bug has been reported and fixed. https://gna.org/bugs/?16507
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.