Wesnoth 1.8.0

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SalsaRocoto

Re: Wesnoth 1.8.0

Post by SalsaRocoto »

I won't say much about the lobby I think enough has been said already.
Played one 1v1 with feanor and at turn 24 got an error message like parent WML whatever not found and got quicked so quickly I couldn't take note of the error message. The map was freeland, classic era. Guys, I appreciate the effort all the developers put in Wesnoth for free, but there is a limit to what can be released as "stable".
I suggest the stable version comes back to 1.6, unless we want to discourage any new player.
Unfortunatly I desinstalled 1.6 and there is nowhere I can found it on the website.
Max

Post by Max »

see here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth/files/

looks like the "Stable (older versions)" section has not been updated yet.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Max2008 wrote:see here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth/files/

looks like the "Stable (older versions)" section has not been updated yet.
This section will not be updated, unless one of the platforms with a current binary gets dropped. In this "older versions" section we only list those platforms that don't have a current binary.
Frigeridio

Post by Frigeridio »

Sorry, this might be a dumb question...
but I can't find the user data folder anymore :?

I'm on MacOS 10.6.3

It used to be
user\library\preferences\wesnoth

I've deleted the 1.7 folder in the same place, downloaded UMCs from the addon server, which appear normally in the campaign list, but I've no idea where they are actually stored.
Thanks
Once there was "l'ultimo cruco", but he got lost in a forum crash...
May his posts rest in peace.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Frigeridio wrote:Sorry, this might be a dumb question...
but I can't find the user data folder anymore :?

I'm on MacOS 10.6.3

It used to be
user\library\preferences\wesnoth
It's changed to ~/Library/Application Support/Wesnoth1.8/

(P.S. you used the wrong kind of slashes. Those are Windows slashes; Mac/Linux slashes go the other direction.)
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Frigeridio

Post by Frigeridio »

Zarel wrote: It's changed to ~/Library/Application Support/Wesnoth1.8/
Thanks a lot.
Zarel wrote: (P.S. you used the wrong kind of slashes. Those are Windows slashes; Mac/Linux slashes go the other direction.)
/ :oops: / a windows slash on my mac, shame on me / :wink:
Once there was "l'ultimo cruco", but he got lost in a forum crash...
May his posts rest in peace.
Titou

Post by Titou »

Hello all,
Nobun wrote:Hmm... I have to say that I don't like too much the new aspect of lobby.
Images are really short, list of names (font used) are smaller than before and the list of names that you can see in the same moment is shorter.
I agree.

I've discovered BfW in the pre-0.8 era and I like it very much. I haven't written much in the forums but let me thank all the people who have freely contributed (code, design, translations, tests, project management, nice behaviour, Debian packaging, etc) to make all the releases. 0.8, 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6 were all more fun (and beauty) each time. Contributors, you have made my world better ; I must say thank you for the gift.

This week I got "could not connect to server" with 1.6. When checking the website I discovered the release of 1.8. Yeah ! Downloaded and ...I'm feeling disabled with the new lobby. Still a simple list of games, ok. It was "dead easy" to scroll it and select a game with a clic (to join or observe). But no more : It automatically scrolls to the top every half second so only the first listed games can be selected. I must be missing something.

I've searched a little but all I've found is :
Version 1.7.8-beta1:
* User interface:
* Switched to the new MP lobby.
In the lobby some people have advised me to "use filter". Filter shortens the list but it doesn't prevent the unwanted "scroll to top". BTW, how to filter on observable ladder games ?

I wonder how the MP server stats will look like after the download/upgrade period is over.

Have fun

Titou
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Titou wrote:But no more : It automatically scrolls to the top every half second so only the first listed games can be selected. I must be missing something.

This is indeed a bug, but I'd just like to note: it doesn't scroll to the top, it scrolls so that the selected item is at the bottom. Still bad, but if you know that you can click on an item and move down with the arrow keys at least.
Titou

Post by Titou »

Thank you "penguin" for the hint.

BTW I had missed this : http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 82&start=0 (1.8 MP lobby)
which says : "we're trying to be proactive and deal with these issues as soon as possible. We've established a special working group and we're trying to draw in as many developers as possible to fix it. Our hope is that within a month we will have dealt with most of the main bugs, and by mid summer smoothed out some of the GUI issues.
We're asking you to grin and bear it a month or two while we iron out these issues".

I apologize for my moot complain and I look forward to enjoying the MP lobby again.
Happy dev time

Titou
Quitch

Post by Quitch »

Heathgod wrote:This might be a dumb question that is answered somewhere in a buried post, but what exactly is the difference between the "Default AI" and the "RCA AI" choices?
I'm also wondering this, the differences aren't listed anywhere, though the log says the campaigns now use RCA byt default (but Default is default in skirmish).
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Quitch wrote:
Heathgod wrote:This might be a dumb question that is answered somewhere in a buried post, but what exactly is the difference between the "Default AI" and the "RCA AI" choices?
I'm also wondering this, the differences aren't listed anywhere, though the log says the campaigns now use RCA byt default (but Default is default in skirmish).
The RCA AI is a new AI framework designed to consider a variety of "Candidate Actions" in a single phases, rather than operate in distinct phases (attack phase, retreat phase, etc). This will allow the AI to act more intelligently; for instance, a unit won't rush to attack if it unit can be better employed defending the leader.

The framework is now in place for this sort of AI; however, it currently isn't any different to the Default AI, because all it contains is a reimplementation of the Default AI. In the future, it will be updated to be smarter than the Default AI, but as you can imagine, this will take a lot of hard work coding, and a fair whack of testing as well.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

IIUC there is a better handling of poisoner in the RCA AI than the default AI...

poisoners will attack using a "spread poison" strategy instead of being handled like any other unit with a slight bonus on damage
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
silene

Post by silene »

Boucman wrote:IIUC there is a better handling of poisoner in the RCA AI than the default AI...

poisoners will attack using a "spread poison" strategy instead of being handled like any other unit with a slight bonus on damage
Is that so? I don't remember this strategy being enabled. In fact, the code contains a comment stating that it is disabled and "will work again soon" (famous last words...)
Quitch

Post by Quitch »

Shouldn't the change in framework affect how even the AI code from default AI works once imported to fit?
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

just discussed with crab, and silene is right, It hasn't been enabled

my bad
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim