How to compile Wesnoth on Mac OS X

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sithrandel

Re: Carbon or Cocoa?

Post by Sithrandel »

cassie21 wrote:If BFW is a cocoa app right now for Mac OS X, can't it be compiled as a Carbon one using Apple's compilers, so both OS X and OS 9 users can play?

:)
No... cocoa and carbon are not the same. Carbon works on 9 and X, but cocoa is OS X only.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

Updated main text.
Invisible Philosopher

Re: How To Compile On A Mac

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

Sithrandel wrote: * Copy the Battle For Wesnoth.pbroj file and the MacOSX folder into the wesnoth directory (they need to be at the same level as the src folder).
Aside from ".pbproj" being misspelled, the most recent versions are ".xcode" instead.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
karthisus

Post by karthisus »

Sithrandel wrote:
* Get the MacOS X Compile stuff from. This is included in all binaries built by Sithrandel.

* Copy the Battle For Wesnoth.pbroj file and the MacOSX folder into the wesnoth directory (they need to be at the same level as the src folder).
do i get the .pbproj file from you or what?
$ ~karth
sanna

Post by sanna »

karthisus wrote:do i get the .pbproj file from you or what?
Nowadays it's called BattleForWesnoth.xcode and is included in the MacOSX distribution - you'll still have to get the cvs-files though.
karthisus

Post by karthisus »

man, im so lost. when i create a project in xcode. should it be an SDL Application or C++ Tool or what. please help.
$ ~karth
Star Gazer

Post by Star Gazer »

SDL App, I believe...
karthisus

Running the build..

Post by karthisus »

ok so when i ran the build. i get a black screen that doesn't change. anybody know what my problem is?
$ ~karth
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

The XCode project file and MacOSX Stuff folders are included with any binary distributions I package. I shall be releasing a package for 0.8.4 so I would recommend waiting for that. With that it really is easy... basically open the project and compile.

Choosing New -> SDL App menas you are starting a new project. It is entirely possible... but you might find a lot of tweaks are needed to get it behaving nicely. I have made a large number of changes to the Cocoa source code and also to the NIB files to make the build more Mac friendly.

Also, given the recent changes with gettext and all, I would not advise trying to make a build now if you aren't used to it. I still haven't got a fully functional build and II've had some experience at building Wesnoth.

I would strongly recommend waiting until Penguin and myself have got things sorted and adjusted the build files accordingly. So waiting for the 0.8.4 release will make life far, far easier for your first attempt at a cvs build.
karthisus

Post by karthisus »

thanks for the info, after cleaning and then building i got 2 errors, one with the gettext and one with libintl.h. ill just wait until 0.8.4 comes out then try and build. thanks again.
$ ~karth
Star Gazer

Post by Star Gazer »

They sound like exactly the same errors I got.

Many thanks to Sith and Penguin for sorting us less knowledgable Mac types a workable version.
scott

Post by scott »

These are the same errors I got! It's the result of adding a dependency on gettext. You have to first install gettext on your system and then make changes to the XCode project file released with 0.8.0 (adding libintl.h to the project and a path to the 'search paths' section). And cross your fingers. These guys are trying to make the whole thing easier to do and compatible with 10.2.8 (without making Jaguar users install gettext).
karthisus

Post by karthisus »

so after an attempt at compiling 0.8.4. i get two of the same errors.

src/gettext.hpp:7:21: libintl.h: No such file or directory
src/about.cpp:45: error: `gettext' undeclared (first use this function)

let me know what can be done to get rid of the errors.
$ ~karth
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Will AppleScript work too, or no
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

Assasin wrote:Will AppleScript work too, or no
Work to do what? What are you talking about?
If you mean: Compile Wesnoth on Mac OS X, then you should say so, and I have no idea how, if it's even possible, but I have no problem with XCode.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.