Wesnoth 1.4.6

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.4.6

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.4.6 is out!

This is a bugfix release for the 1.4.x series and it is compatible with the other 1.4.x versions.

1.4.6 fixes several smaller bugs, provides some smaller and many bigger updates to many translations and ships several updated graphics (not listed in the changelog). Of course there is also the full changelog listing (almost) all the changes since 1.4.5. A changelog with changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players changelog.

Downloads
Sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... 2?download (147.9 MB) md5sum
Here is the xDelta for the sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... a?download (1.4.5 to 1.4.6, 1.8 MB)
Check http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using xdelta.

The Windows binary is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The MacOSX binary is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The OpenSolaris binary is not available yet. Once it is you can find it on the download page.

The Debian and Gentoo packages are already created, all known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them work you get on the Linux binaries site for the Linux binaries. Download links for the other supported systems will be listed at the downloads page once the binaries are available.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ - you should first try to get files through SourceForge to help us save bandwidth.

The multiplayer server for 1.4.6 is already up and running. This server can be used to play with all 1.4.x releases. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

By now the add-on server already offers much content that should be completely compatible with all 1.4.x releases. If you encounter any problems with content from the add-on server not working as expected, please notify the content's author, most of them should be here in the forums.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...
Bugreports in the forums tend to get forgotten. You will get better results by following the guidelines and report them in the bugtracker.
A Guy

Re: Wesnoth 1.4.6

Post by A Guy »

Hooray for Wesnoth 1.4.6! I've heard of new graphics for naga and mermen, is this true?
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
TheMasterOfBattle

Post by TheMasterOfBattle »

The new naga fighter looks awesome!

Also I like the fact that the chat-log no longer shows the joins of everyone anymore.

One interesting thing I just noticed, is when I was observing a game, and it ended, then after the person ended the game. For some odd reason it decided to show the it is now ____'s turn message.
Livor

Post by Livor »

I just compiled and installed it. I like Jetryl's new naga fighter.
The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion. -Arthur C. Clarke, science fiction writer (1917-2008)
stealth4

Post by stealth4 »

So, where can I download a useable version of this game?

I have the day off, just looking for a free game to play and this looked good.

But I've spent an hour already looking around the website and all I can find are source code files

I don't understand why the developers wouldnt post binary and executible files. I understand its your own work as a hobby, but hey, why not compile and post it?

It sounds like some people to compile it it and post for use, but I havent found any.

I'd appreciate a link or two to a downloadable Mac OS X executible version of Wesnoth - I just don't want to get into compiling a file. I dont know how on a mac and I just don't want to spend the time, ya know?

Thanks. Game looks good, otherwise I would have given up already.
Max

Post by Max »

stealth4 wrote:So, where can I download a useable version of this game? ... But I've spent an hour already looking around the website and all I can find are source code files
how about reading the announcement above and following those links?
stealth4

Post by stealth4 »

Max2008 wrote:
stealth4 wrote:So, where can I download a useable version of this game? ... But I've spent an hour already looking around the website and all I can find are source code files
how about reading the announcement above and following those links?

All I see are source code (binary) links.
ilor
Inactive Developer

Post by ilor »

ivanovic wrote: The Windows binary is already available. You can find it on the download page.

Is it really that difficlt to find?
stealth4

Post by stealth4 »

ilor wrote:
ivanovic wrote: The Windows binary is already available. You can find it on the download page.

Is it really that difficlt to find?

No, thats not difficult at all, I found that, but the text led me to believe that was just the source code and not an executable file. So I didnt download it because I dont know how to compile programs.
ilor
Inactive Developer

Post by ilor »

it does say "binary". Though maybe we could put a "Compiled (ready to play) versions" header before the links to the binaries.
stealth4

Post by stealth4 »

ilor wrote:it does say "binary". Though maybe we could put a "Compiled (ready to play) versions" header before the links to the binaries.
That would be helpful for relatively computer illiterate people like me.
Max

Post by Max »

stealth4 wrote:
ilor wrote:it does say "binary". Though maybe we could put a "Compiled (ready to play) versions" header before the links to the binaries.
That would be helpful for relatively computer illiterate people like me.
this sounds you were quite aware of the meaning:
stealth4 wrote:I don't understand why the developers wouldnt post binary and executible files
stealth4

Post by stealth4 »

No, to me binary means 1s and 0s. I've never thought binary = executable (program file)

If the impression I gave, it was in error. Sometimes I'm illiterate and computer illiterate.
Max

Post by Max »

i guess marking it "ready to run" as ilor suggested would avoid confusion. or "download & play"? ^^