Wesnoth 1.4.1

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

torangan
Retired Developer

Re: Wesnoth 1.4.1

Post by torangan »

The switch is to have libfribidi installed so configure will find it. Enables right-to-left text support. The hardest part about getting i18n and l10n right is that no single person uses or even knows all features and therefore doesn't even notice many problems obviously.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Wings1536

Post by Wings1536 »

I've got Vista ultimate x64, and an Athlon X2 4200+... Which, if any, of the optimised binaries should work for me? I can't get any other than the generic binary to start. Also, if i wanted to compile it myself, what would be the best thing to use (both for this system, and a linux box)?
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Wings1536 wrote:I've got Vista ultimate x64, and an Athlon X2 4200+... Which, if any, of the optimised binaries should work for me? I can't get any other than the generic binary to start. Also, if i wanted to compile it myself, what would be the best thing to use (both for this system, and a linux box)?
You should be able to run any from the (i486, i686, k6, athlon) set, but then I simply do not know how these might behave on a 64 bit windows aince I've got no access to a box with one. And when you say 'can't get any to start' what do you mean? Runtime error? Freeze? Crash? Is stderr.txt created during these attempts? If yes what does it contain?
There is a topic about compilation on windows here : http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php? ... 77&start=0 for linux check CompilingWesnoth
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Mist wrote:
Wings1536 wrote:I've got Vista ultimate x64, and an Athlon X2 4200+... Which, if any, of the optimised binaries should work for me? I can't get any other than the generic binary to start. Also, if i wanted to compile it myself, what would be the best thing to use (both for this system, and a linux box)?
You should be able to run any from the (i486, i686, k6, athlon) set, but then I simply do not know how these might behave on a 64 bit windows aince I've got no access to a box with one. And when you say 'can't get any to start' what do you mean? Runtime error? Freeze? Crash? Is stderr.txt created during these attempts? If yes what does it contain?
There is a topic about compilation on windows here : http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php? ... 77&start=0 for linux check CompilingWesnoth
You have to move the contents of Wesnoth/bin/ to the Wesnoth/ root before you can start the .exe's directly (for example). That's probably what he means by "can't get any to start".
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

zookeeper wrote:You have to move the contents of Wesnoth/bin/ to the Wesnoth/ root before you can start the .exe's directly (for example). That's probably what he means by "can't get any to start".
Urgh, right, i didn't take that into account in my release notes. The link tells the exe to use the root directory as execution directory, so you can't start them directly out of the bin directory :? .
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Wings1536

Post by Wings1536 »

Well... The start menu shortcut works fine. Starting wesnoth_athlon.exe in wesnoth/bin gives this in stderr.txt.

Battle for Wesnoth v1.4.1
Started on Mon Apr 14 10:49:24 2008

could not initialize fonts

If I move the .exe to the wesnoth/ directory, it says it can't find SDL.dll.

However, have just found, making a shortcut to the optimised binary in wesnoth/bin, and setting it to start in wesnoth/, it works...

Is it possible to make this a little easier in future?
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Wings1536 wrote:However, have just found, making a shortcut to the optimised binary in wesnoth/bin, and setting it to start in wesnoth/, it works...

Is it possible to make this a little easier in future?
You're supposed to do just that or if you want it a bit easier, rename wesnoth.exe to wesnoth-orig.exe and the -athlon to wesnoth.exe.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
yehdev_cc

Post by yehdev_cc »

Hi, I've just downloaded wesnoth 1.4.1 today..
but,..
I got a virus alert when I tried to install it(windows), it was about Win32/Adware.LastDefender application..what is this ?
BTW, I'm using NOD32...
nataS

Post by nataS »

Where did you download the file? If it was from sourceforge.net you can trust it to be safe.
I searched google for the thing your AV reported, and found others complaining about false positives.
I think the best thing you can do is contact NOD32 and ask them to look into it.

I have also installed a trial version of NOD32, then scanned the file and installed the game, but NOD32 didn't have a problem with that. Perhaps you are using different settings.

Note that someone on the other forum states: "The update 3035 with a fix for this problem has just been released."
So to resolve the issue, update your NOD32, and you can install Wesnoth without your AntiVirus complaining about something that isn't there :!:
yehdev_cc

Post by yehdev_cc »

nataS wrote:Where did you download the file? If it was from sourceforge.net you can trust it to be safe.
I searched google for the thing your AV reported, and found others complaining about false positives.
I think the best thing you can do is contact NOD32 and ask them to look into it.

I have also installed a trial version of NOD32, then scanned the file and installed the game, but NOD32 didn't have a problem with that. Perhaps you are using different settings.

Note that someone on the other forum states: "The update 3035 with a fix for this problem has just been released."
So to resolve the issue, update your NOD32, and you can install Wesnoth without your AntiVirus complaining about something that isn't there :!:
Thank you nataS for your reply...
I think you are right..I used both bitdefender: free edition and Avira: PersonalEdition and they didn't report any virus detection..
strange since my NOD32 is updated...it also complained the same about scilab.. :!: :?:
anyway, I'm gonna deactivate it to install the game, then I'll re-activate it..
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Well, I'm not suprised to be honest. I got a bunch of false positives when building wesnothd for some archs and it took me a while to figure out what's going on, the problem disappeared once I used slightly different set of libraries, but I'm perfectly happy to accept it might have resurfaced on some setups. I'm not really sure what's the reason, probably Sirps optimisations look somewhat funny in connection with winsocket.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
Caduto

Post by Caduto »

Hi, i host a wesnoth server, i never had problem with the 1.4 version.

Now i update the server with the 1.4.1 version and i have continuosly crash every day.

My server is a p3 with windows xp , i try both the wesnothd for all processor and wesnothd_p2 with the same result.

Can you help me?
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Hi, I have Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002 with SP 2 and an Intel T2050.
Which one do you think suits my computer better: Intel 486 or Pentium 4? I have ruled out the other three.
Thanks for the help!

TCO
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
nataS

Post by nataS »

TheChosenOne wrote:Hi, I have Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002 with SP 2 and an Intel T2050.
Which one do you think suits my computer better: Intel 486 or Pentium 4? I have ruled out the other three.
Thanks for the help!
The Intel 486 is ancient stuff so go for Pentium 4. Then again there is this other thread with a special .exe for Pentium 4 where it is stated that: "using this exe for other arch then P4 might result in unstable behavior or outright crashing." But maybe that's not related at all, earlier in this thread it is stated: "Choose the one which you think applies best to your current hardware." - and that would be Pentium 4 for you.

I wonder though, can't the installer simply detect what kind of CPU is used?
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Even that's what I hoped. Unfortunately, it doesn't. I have installed it with the Pentium 4 settings, and found that the game runs faster and smoother than 1.4. However, there's a problem when connecting to server: somehow the 1.4.1 version cannot connect while my 1.4 can, easily. Is this a bug? I have restarted my computer and modem several times at different hours and yet the same thing still happens...
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation