Wesnoth 1.4.1

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mist
Inactive Developer

Re: Wesnoth 1.4.1

Post by Mist »

Caduto wrote:Hi, i host a wesnoth server, i never had problem with the 1.4 version.
Now i update the server with the 1.4.1 version and i have continuosly crash every day.
My server is a p3 with windows xp , i try both the wesnothd for all processor and wesnothd_p2 with the same result.
Can you help me?
Not until you do a proper bug submission on the tracker with your box specifications, stderr.txt output, average number of people playing, ways to recreate crash (if any) and anything other you think might be helpful to us.
nataS wrote:I wonder though, can't the installer simply detect what kind of CPU is used?
I don't know, at the moment Yogi packages the files I build. I agree this behaviour would be both easier and cut the number of "which version is the best for me" questions, but we're limited to free installer solutions, and we don't know them trooughly since we're not using them for anything else. If you got something that can do this pointing us in the right direction and a short guide would be much appreciated.
TheChosenOne wrote: However, there's a problem when connecting to server: somehow the 1.4.1 version cannot connect while my 1.4 can, easily. Is this a bug? I have restarted my computer and modem several times at different hours and yet the same thing still happens...
Firewall most likely, I've tested the app before passing it on and it works just fine. Note that nobody else complains about that. Try creating an explicit exception for wesnoth in firewall rules or disabling it altogether. Disabling might not work though as some firewalls (eg. Zone Alarm, continue to block stuff even when not active)
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
Rock-Star

Post by Rock-Star »

i have ver 1.4 windows, i dont understand how i can download "just update"..??? i cant find update..

i must download full game agian? (and why no autoupdate inside game =( )
nataS

Post by nataS »

Hello Rock-Star, you have to get yourself a new download of the game indeed. The reason there is no update function you can find here. For downloading the latest version go here.
Rock-Star

Post by Rock-Star »

nataS wrote:Hello Rock-Star, you have to get yourself a new download of the game indeed. The reason there is no update function you can find here. For downloading the latest version go here.

yes i understand , thanks.

p.s

but how big game's like World Of Warcraft update own game files???
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Well, essentially their game is already 'done', meaning they'll only distribute bug and balance fixes, which makes for small patches. Wesnoth on the other hand, is still in development, and the average "version-to-version" difference is between a third and half of the full version's size. (Note that this would only allow you to upgrade from 1.4 to 1.4.1, not from 1.3.19 to 1.4.1, such a "multiple versions" patch would almost certainly be bigger than the full version.)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Rock-Star wrote:but how big game's like World Of Warcraft update own game files???
Because someone was motivated enough to implement such a system for them, most likely because they were getting paid for it.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

ubertuna-1 wrote:That doesn't change the fact that the mp doesn't work.
Posts such as these should be pruned from this kind of threads.

Torangan: Right, so I took on the role of the bad guy and removed the clutter. Time to be the bad guy, splitting this off wasn't worth the effort to me.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
JKML

Post by JKML »

Yogi Bear wrote:I would also be interested in feedback if the optimized builds are substantially faster, so you can really feel the difference. If we get positive feedback on that, we will continue to provide optimized builds. If not, well, the increase in size is probably a minus, then.
I am using a 5-year-old P4 1.8 GHz machine with 512MB RAM. The optimized (for P4) executable is noticeably faster during start up and loading of saved games. It is very stable and I have yet to encounter any crash/problem when using it.

In debug mode with the benchmark command, the generic executable's fps was around 16, while that of the P4-optimized executable was around 19.
techtonik

Post by techtonik »

Mist wrote:
nataS wrote:I wonder though, can't the installer simply detect what kind of CPU is used?
I don't know, at the moment Yogi packages the files I build. I agree this behaviour would be both easier and cut the number of "which version is the best for me" questions, but we're limited to free installer solutions, and we don't know them trooughly since we're not using them for anything else. If you got something that can do this pointing us in the right direction and a short guide would be much appreciated.
The better solution would be to provide wesnoth.exe launcher residing in wesnoth/ directory that will take care of detecting right CPU, reading configuration and selecting right binary from wesnoth/bin/ files. Installer should not make such decisions, because users won't be able to switch to generic binary if optimized version is buggy.

For CPU ID maybe the following project can provide some ready to use pieces - http://code.google.com/p/crisscross/
MCP

Post by MCP »

I just thought I'd report a non-issue(hopefully) because it's funny.

So my buddy Zeus and I are playing our personal copy of the updated DotG II on the server and we came across some off by one errors. It turns out he is using 1.4 windows and I am using 1.4.1 os x, so we figured this is probably the cause.

But what would happen is when checking whether some units would die or live:
99% chance to die
1.1% chance to survive

So there is a 0.1% chance to be in a coma? That's what we joked about, but then it really happened.
An AI controlled unit peasant attacked and on my end, the server, it died, but on his end it survived with -50 HP or so, although it couldn't move, it was still just there on his side,
in a coma.

I guess one could say, it got lucky.

I will make a formal bug report if it turns up again now that we both have 1.4.1.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

:lol2: Lol, the 100.1% error happened to me to several times(Windows Hotseat), but my Units never fall in coma. IIRC you can reproduce it with the Berserker from TotN.
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa