Auto-patcher

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Valenwood

Auto-patcher

Post by Valenwood »

Greetings!
I am sorry if this is a dumb question, but would it be possible to add an auto-patcher for Wesnoth? Like everytime you start Wesnoth, it would first check for new releases and download and install them if your current version is not up to date. It would a very nice addition, in my humble opinion :)

Take care, all!
mihoshi

Re: Auto-patcher

Post by mihoshi »

I'd be happy to have any patches. So far only way to upgrade to next version, AFAIK (well, not counting updating from svn and recompiling) - download a whole install. Is it really necessary to load all that music and art again each time?
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

This topic has been raised often enough already. The answer was and will remain the same : Download_Xdeltas
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

We need someone to make the patches. If one of you guys is willing to do it (could be a lot of work, I don't know what it would take), we would be very happy.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Mist wrote:This topic has been raised often enough already. The answer was and will remain the same : Download_Xdeltas
Weeksy wrote:We need someone to make the patches. If one of you guys is willing to do it (could be a lot of work, I don't know what it would take), we would be very happy.
Please specify whether you meant for the source code or not, Weeksy. XDelta patches are *always* released for the source code tarball, and the XDelta program runs on Windows and Linux, amongst others.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
techtonik

Post by techtonik »

Weeksy wrote:We need someone to make the patches. If one of you guys is willing to do it (could be a lot of work, I don't know what it would take), we would be very happy.
In current conditions it would take a remote Linux box connected to internet to download new versions, compile patches and upload them back, porting Inno Unpacker to Linux using Free Pascal and Summer of Code project to make client updater component.
Rhonda
Site Administrator

Post by Rhonda »

Valenwood wrote:Greetings!
I am sorry if this is a dumb question, but would it be possible to add an auto-patcher for Wesnoth? Like everytime you start Wesnoth, it would first check for new releases and download and install them if your current version is not up to date. It would a very nice addition, in my humble opinion :)

Take care, all!
The most core "problem" here is that the wesnoth team itself does offer only the source code but not the binaries. The binary installers are contributions by various people - and sometimes they change. There additionally is no fixed team for the windows binaries to my knowledge and people might follow different paths when producing those binaries.

So, if you want to have it happen, ask the binary packager of your preference instead of the wesnoth team. From a Debian point of view, I don't see much sense in it and it doesn't fit Debian's workflow, so I won't do it for that part.
neur0

Post by neur0 »

I don't mind downloading the new version packages for Debian, its just that there should be a list of packages that actually changed and the order in which those .deb packages should be installed.
Or maybe one really has to install ALL packages (even music) to get the new version?

In any case, the update process should be a bit more comprehensive to us new players IMHO. Perhaps a single-file package if its possible ?
Rhonda
Site Administrator

Post by Rhonda »

neur0 wrote:I don't mind downloading the new version packages for Debian, its just that there should be a list of packages that actually changed and the order in which those .deb packages should be installed.
Or maybe one really has to install ALL packages (even music) to get the new version?

In any case, the update process should be a bit more comprehensive to us new players IMHO. Perhaps a single-file package if its possible ?
The thing you are looking for is called package manager and integrated part of every such tool within Debian that is based on APT - you don't download any specific package for an upgrade, you just upgrade it with when you do your general system upgrades.

... or I just have got your question wrong.
neur0

Post by neur0 »

You are right, but the repos don't have the latest version, so what would be the proper procedure for installing an update?
I seemed to have screwed something up because I installed the getdeb packages, and could play new version, everything worked... but when I installed something else system informed me that I need to do apt-get autoremove for some wesnoth packages. I was thinking it was some packages from the previous version I had, but it actually removed almost everything now I'm back at square 1 with everything purged and installing the older version from the repos again.
Everyone is nice to inform me that I shouldn't really install versions other then those stable in the repos, but whats the alternative?
Hope you understood mine, and probably more then just mine problem.

Or is there a 3rd party Wesnoth repository I'm not aware of? :idea:
arielbys

Post by arielbys »

neur0 wrote: Or is there a 3rd party Wesnoth repository I'm not aware of? :idea:
And it's called SVN.

How to do it:

Code: Select all

su
aptitude update
(as lenny BfW does not include pango)
aptitude install subversion scons build-minimal debhelper quilt libsdl-image1.2-dev libfreetype6-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-net1.2-dev libfribidi-dev libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev python-support libboost-iostreams1.37-dev libboost-test1.37-dev libboost-regex1.37-dev libpango1.0-dev

svn co http://svn.gna.org/svn/wesnoth/trunk /DIRECTORY/TO/DOWNLOAD/WESNOTH
for wesnoth 1.7.X or
svn co http://svn.gna.org/svn/wesnoth/branches/1.6 wesnoth-1.6 /DIRECTORY/TO/DOWNLOAD/WESNOTH
for wesnoth 1.6.X
exit
Then, now and at every time period (i do it daily on 1.7.X), execute this

cd /DIRECTORY/TO/DOWNLOAD/WESNOTH
svn update
scons
./test
AND IF THE TESTS SUCCEED
su
scons install
exit
I use wesnoth this way from 1.5.1, and the only bug I met was the tutorial not working 'round 1.5.3-4 (I reported the bug and it was gone next day).
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

and this is supposed to help, one year after the last post in this thread?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
neur0

Post by neur0 »

Ok, I'll try that.
EDIT:
Ok, Im using Ubuntu Interpid and there were some things that were not found in the repos (build minimal, libboost-regex1.37-dev and a couple more)
I tried ignoring it so I did the "svn co http://svn.gna.org/svn/wesnoth/branches/1.6 wesnoth-1.6 /DIRECTORY/TO/DOWNLOAD/WESNOTH"
But ./test doesn't exist
And if I skip that and go to "scons install" i get :

scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Saved options: default_targets = 'test,wesnoth,wesnothd'
Checking whether C++ compiler works (g++ version >= 3.3 required)... (cached) yes
Checking for Gettext's libintl... (cached) libc built-in
Checking for Boost iostreams library version >= 1.33.0... (cached) no
Base prerequisites are not met.
Client prerequisites are not met. wesnoth, cutter and exploder cannot be built.
Checking for C library X11... (cached) no
Checking for fribidi_utf8_to_unicode(NULL,0,NULL) in C library fribidi... (cached) no
Can't find libfribidi, disabling freebidi support.
Checking for C header file poll.h... (cached) yes
Checking for C header file sys/poll.h... (cached) yes
Checking for C header file sys/select.h... (cached) yes
Checking for C function sendfile()... (cached) no
Checking for C function round()... (cached) no
Unit tests are disabled because their prerequisites are not met.
If any config checks fail, look in build/config.log for details
If a check fails spuriously due to caching, use --config=force to force its rerun
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets ...
scons: Nothing to be done for `install'.
scons: done building targets.

I have deb files on getdeb, but some of the downloads are broken and it says Interpid packages will not be supported (updated) any more, and the repository version is 1.4.x.