"Boost headers" error while configuring (Ubuntu)

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Just for the heck of it I thought I'd download and try 1.3.14 since 1.3.13 didn't work, but no joy.

I'm seriously considering installing 1.3.12 - I don't use MP so not bothered about connecting to the right server. But I want to update my campaign to 1.3. And I definitely don't want to have to wait until 1.3/1.4 is available as an official package for Mandriva!

So unless anyone has any better ideas....
This signature intentionally left blank.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I've installed 1.3.12 without any issues at all. I hope someone manages to work out the boost issue though...I don't want to be stuck using this version forever!
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Did you ever try building boost by yourself from source instead of using preexisting packages? It will deffinitely not hurt and could help a lot.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Hmmm...no, I haven't compiled boost myself. I'll keep that in mind - happy with 1.3.12 for now, but might try that when 1.4 is released or something.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Frem

Post by Frem »

Sorry, i know reason now. :oops: I didn't get earlier, but i was too busy (to keep a clear head).

My installation of mandriva was a new one. Nevertheless i didn't thought, that i hadn't install all necessary staff. :roll: The necessary package won't be preselected by Mandriva installer.
segmentation f
"configure: error: Could not find Boost headers version >= 1.33"

The reason for this message can be that c++ support isn't fully installed.

(Nevertheless i'm still getting a segmentation fault, if i try to "make install" the "boost_1_34_1". Even if the report of "./configure" is looking well".)
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Good call, frem - now that I've installed the C++ libraries (had to to install 1.3.12 anyway), 1.3.14 picks up boost fine.

I got an error (not a segmentation fault though) when doing "make", but it still installed without any problems - so I now have 1.3.14 installed. :D

Thanks to all who made suggestions.
Vorkronor

Post by Vorkronor »

Hi ppl,

I came to the same dead end after downloading the 1.4 source tarball from sourcefoge today. With all libboost-*-dev packages installed on Ubuntu 7.10, the configure script still says:
checking for Boost headers version >= 1.33... no
configure: error: Could not find Boost headers version >= 1.33
Any guidance? What other C++ libraries have to be installed?

Thanks a lot.
Tillanz

Re: "Boost headers" error while configuring (Ubuntu)

Post by Tillanz »

I had a similar problem, which I was able to fix by installing the 'pyste' package.
Vorkronor

Post by Vorkronor »

Wow! That was it! Thanks a lot.

V

P.S.: This should be clearly stated in the compilation HOWTO, so other people don't fall into the same trap ;)
Froggel

Post by Froggel »

Hy all,

I have the same boost trouble with debian. And I dont have this pyste-package. So I downloaded the newest boost version and tried to install it. But still there is this missing boost-header.
OK i am a rookie on Linux :) ,so perhaps I have done something wrong.....

anyone an idea?
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

did you follow these instructions?

these two commands might help:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get build-dep wesnoth
sudo apt-get install python-dev libboost libboost-iostreams-dev
Froggel

Post by Froggel »

I have tried :( . Also I have found on the debian-server the iostream-file. I think it didnt works, because i have an 64bit-system and this file is only for 32bit.
Froggel

Post by Froggel »

I have managed it :D
I found the boost-pyste-package in the unstable area of debian. And it works after installation.... and also I found the 64bit version of wesnoth (unstable)...... Ive learned a lot today :)
Rhonda
Site Administrator

Post by Rhonda »

I'm extremely puzzled why you would need pyste installed at all, the package for Debian is definitely built without it. I am currently updating the Build Dependencies in the wiki page, please take a look if it works for you without pyste but with the following packages installed:

Code: Select all

libsdl-image1.2-dev libfreetype6-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-net1.2-dev libfribidi-dev libsdl1.2-dev python-dev libboost-iostreams-dev libboost-test-dev
Those are the ones that are used for building the official Debian packages (and also the Ubuntu packages from what I can see), there is no need for pyste. If you have the above installed and not pyste and it does not work for you, pretty please get back with me so we can work it out - I am more than interested in problems in that area on Debian. I use IRC and mostly any instant messaging service out there so if you give me a call we can work something out to work on the problem; that is, if the above mentioned list doesn't drop the pyste requirement for you.

Please notice that the most current infromations is on http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothBina ... #Compiling - I will update the other page tomorrow.

So long,
Rhonda
invalid

Post by invalid »

I'm having the same issue with slackware so you all know... also, found this...

http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/index.html

are we sure that pyste is the issue here? doesn't look like it's maintained anymore...

Rhonda seemed to feel that it wasn't the issue either

I'm going to be working on this for a bit, hopefully we can figure this out