Wesnoth 1.3.13

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.3.13

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.3.13 is out!

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

This is our Christmas present to all the users: Wesnoth 1.3.13. Many new things have been implemented so this release is really a nice one. Some examples for the changes:
*Savegames will now be compressed, which reduces their size to less than 10% of the original size.
*Random should now work in multiplayer, so that random traits for spawned units are now possible and won't lead to 'Out of Sync' errors anymore.
*The real blockers for multiplayer campaigns have been fixed. So basically multiplayer campaigns should be possible now, though there are probably some problems left, please report what you find.
*A new campaign was added: "The Hammer of Thursagan".

Here is what the other devs told me to write about:

The old save option 'Binary Saves' has been replaced with 'Compressed Saves'. This uses the standard gzip compression. Shadow_Master tested with his savegame archive and the following results where found for 687 files:
before 1018.1 MB
after 79.3 MB
For this change from now on boost (currently only iostreams, other will probably follow) and gzip are dependencies of Wesnoth.

There has been more change in the animation engine. The only expected impact is that movement animations don't "slow down" on hard to cross terrain anymore. If you had specially crafted WML taking that into account, beware. A bug making combat animations often go out of sync with each other and seem jumpy crept into the release, however, but it is known and doesn't need to be reported.

If the mvt animations seem to "jump around" on slow or fast computers, please report to Boucman.

Recruitment OOS is fatal now.

There have been quite some last minutes MP campaign bug fixes and they might work properly again, but it didn't have much testing, please report bugs if they're still left.

MP random improvements:
There is a new rand key for [set_variable] this is MP save, only the WML author has to make sure it stays in sync see:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/BuildingMul ... les#Random

Units spawned in events can now have random_traits and also the names stay in sync.

What else was changed? Some updated graphics, translations and probably a lot more that I am too lazy to mention now. For a more complete list (not 100% complete, some devs tend to forget adding entries) have a look at the changelog. A changelog with the changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players_changelog.

Downloads
Sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... 2?download (110.4 MB) md5sum
Here is the xDelta for the sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... a?download (1.3.12 to 1.3.13, 3.9 MB)
Check http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using xdelta.

The Windows binary is not available yet. Once it is you can find it on the download page.

The MacOSX binary is not available yet. Once it is you can find it on the download page.

The OpenSolaris binary is not available yet. Once it is you can find it on the download page.

Looks like there are no binaries ready, but all the known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them work you get on the Linux binaries site for the Linux binaries. Download links for the other supported systems will be listed at the downloads page once the binaries are available.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ - you should first try to get files through SourceForge to help us save bandwidth.

Soon we will shutdown the 1.3.12 multiplayer server because we want to focus on getting 1.3.13 tested. 1.3.12 and 1.3.13 are not compatible due to some balancing changes. The server for 1.3.13 is already up and running. So consider doing an update as soon as possible. We want to wait with shutting down the old server until the MacOSX and the Windows binary are ready but once they are out we will shut down the old server.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!
Last edited by ivanovic on January 14th, 2008, 8:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

BTW I'll ban the first one asking for when the Windows binary will be ready for a week. Let's see wheter this keeps the noise down...
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

torangan wrote:BTW I'll ban the first one asking for when the Windows binary will be ready for a week. Let's see wheter this keeps the noise down...
I'll do the same with everybody asking for any other binary within a week...
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Oh great, randomness now finally works! :D
This might allow me to create some interesting scenarios. I hope the windows binary is ready soon. (This was no question!)
velroij

Post by velroij »

One Askings? Will old save games from the last version go away or stay??

Because i read theres a new save format
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

The game does support uncompressed (the old ones) and compressed saves. Basically the compressed saves are just a gzipped version of the uncompressed saves. It is even a normal option in the preferences to turn compression on and off. And you can convert all your old saves by the normal filesystem tools. If you are on a linux system, that is the way you would convert the saves:

Code: Select all

cd .wesnoth/saves
gzip *
but you can also use wesnoth for this, if you use bash as shell, this would be the command to convert all saves to the new format (asuming that there are only the old ones in the folder):

Code: Select all

cd .wesnoth/saves
for i in *;do wesnoth --compress $i; done
So basically the game is just compressing and decompressing those saves internally. The main benefit from this change is that you need less discspace and that we can reduce the bandwidth used for multiplayer (yes, multiplayer does already make use of compressed data) and eventually to reduce the bandwidth used by the add-on server (has yet to be implemented).
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

ivanovic wrote:
torangan wrote:BTW I'll ban the first one asking for when the Windows binary will be ready for a week. Let's see wheter this keeps the noise down...
I'll do the same with everybody asking for any other binary within a week...
Ah, but I want to be able to play it on DOS 6.22 before the end of the year!
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Awesome, I have wanted Level 3 outlaw units for years!
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

windows binaries:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... e?download

Mist and Mythological did a great job in optimizing the build, so it should run much more stable now. Still, if there are major problems, please let me know.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Gallifax
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Gallifax »

Oh fjs sake you are a true hero Yogibear:D

Happy new year:)

Cheers
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

It seems that the game doesn't recognize anymore any tries to add friends/ignored people to the list... :o
Derekkk

Post by Derekkk »

I downloaded 1.3.13 windows version just now, but just like 1.3.12, the game can't get pass the first loading page before it crashes. I wonder if there is something which I have missed. The installation was clean though.

The error signature says this:
AppName: wesnoth.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: sdl.dll
ModVer: 1.2.12.0 Offset: 0002655d

I have attached the stderr file here in case that might be helpful. I tried running from cmd with --log-debug=all but I can't find the Errorlog.txt after running wesnoth.

P.S. I am using windows XP...

PPS. The editor crashes as well before the screen has loaded.

-------------------------

Edit:

It's fine now. I have figured out what the problem was. I have always had a bad habit of copying the userdata folder from the old version to the new version, but this time, the new wesnoth crashed. If I remove the userdata folder, it works just fine.
Last edited by Derekkk on December 31st, 2007, 3:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

...is it intended that units now already take damage before the enemy's attacking animation is even started at all? :o
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Clonkinator wrote:...is it intended that units now already take damage before the enemy's attacking animation is even started at all? :o
No, but it's a known bug.
Shadrak

Post by Shadrak »

Yogi Bear wrote:windows binaries:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... e?download

Mist and Mythological did a great job in optimizing the build, so it should run much more stable now. Still, if there are major problems, please let me know.
there is a problem with your build - language selection is broken. It automatically picks the language settings from locale, and changing the language in menu does nothing (both on clean install and install with .12 userdata). Would you, perchance, happen to know, how to hard-set the language so it won't autodetect itself?

I don't possess the skillz to pinpoint the case of said problem, but i enciountered the same one before, when upgrading 3.10 with then-latest svn.

My gratitude to you nevertheless ;)