Portable version of Wesnoth for Windows?

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

EwanG

Portable version of Wesnoth for Windows?

Post by EwanG »

Is there an installable version of Wesnoth designed to be portable - run from a USB stick? I've very much enjoyed running Firefox this way (no syncing between machines of bookmarks and such), and would love to be able to do the same with Wesnoth.

Thanks in advance!
CIB
Code Contributor

Re: Portable version of Wesnoth for Windows?

Post by CIB »

EwanG wrote:Is there an installable version of Wesnoth designed to be portable - run from a USB stick?
Wesnoth owns that much, that it is portable by default ;)
(I haven't tried though, so I might be wrong)
EwanG

Post by EwanG »

So I should be able to install it to a USB stick, and not worry about it trying to add registry entries or anything?

Thanks,
Ewan
Haibane

Post by Haibane »

Better install it somewhere else and just copy installation directory. It should be working as installator just extracts files there, not counting icon and start menu entry. If there will be something missing (at other than original computer I guess), fe some dll library, try to find it and copy it as well ... not sure if it's possible.
Last edited by Haibane on December 13th, 2007, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it's all a dream, now wake me up. If it's all real, just kill me.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Wesnoth does not install any registry keys or otherwise touch things outside it's root directory, so yes as long as you have the correct dlls you should be able to run it from an USB stick.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Maybe creating "cache" files on USB stick is not a good idea, what do you think? Perhaps there could be some way (such as command-line parameter) to prevent creating unnecessary temporary files, or create them somewhere else (such as "tmp" directory).
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Ah.

Just run Wesnoth's install program and make it install it into your USB drive. That's the goodness of Wesnoth that I was *about* to ruin. The current filesystem hierarchy we use allow you to carry your Wesnoth executables, data files, saved games and downloaded UMCs everywhere, no matter if you use Windows, Linux or anything else. There's always a way, and curiously, for the Windows builds it's really out-of-the-box.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Check out this. I use it for certain programs, it's awesome.

You shouldn't just install it to a Memory Stick, as Windows saves a whole heap of stuff in the registry whenever you install something. So I doubt it would work if you try to run it on another computer from your USB. That's where PortableApps.com comes in!
Attention!
I've decided that Wesnoth is not for me. It's not my kinda game, and I realise that I do not enjoy making campaigns for it. I will continue to visit the forums and play, but I will never have anything to do with WML.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

nothing in registry when you 'install' wesnoth, but the last path that you installed wesnoth into.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

The Doctor wrote:Check out this. I use it for certain programs, it's awesome.

You shouldn't just install it to a Memory Stick, as Windows saves a whole heap of stuff in the registry whenever you install something.
Windows doesn't if the applications or installers don't request to. And Wesnoth and it's installer don't save anything to the registry that is essential for playing the game. The installer only writes uninstall/install information to the registry that you would not need in this case, as it would stay on your "master" computer.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Ah, well, it's smarter to use this, rather than just changing the installation directory. However, I'm not sure if PortableApps will work with Wesnoth, as I haven't tried it yet. You'll have to find out for yourself. :wink:
Attention!
I've decided that Wesnoth is not for me. It's not my kinda game, and I realise that I do not enjoy making campaigns for it. I will continue to visit the forums and play, but I will never have anything to do with WML.
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

Yeah, I wondered about this myself, I love using PortableApps and wondered how it'd work with Wesnoth, however, I can't find my flashdrive right now.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
DDR

Post by DDR »

It works on a net drive, and can apparently be run multiple times at once on different computers from the net drive. I am currently copying the files to a data stick, and I think I have run it from a data stick before. No worries. :)
horusofoz

Post by horusofoz »

Wesnoth can be made compliant with the PortableApps.com Platform and there is interest in it being done so just the devs at the site are a little overwhelmed trying to meet demand at the moment. if one of you guys were willing to try and take it up you would find your self more than welcomed by the devs and very mucg appreciated by the gamers : )
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

horusofoz wrote:Wesnoth can be made compliant with the PortableApps.com Platform and there is interest in it being done so just the devs at the site are a little overwhelmed trying to meet demand at the moment. if one of you guys were willing to try and take it up you would find your self more than welcomed by the devs and very mucg appreciated by the gamers : )
Well I could do it as I writ some launchers, and I am sure the PortableApps.com community misses me... So I guess I will do it...