How to compile Wesnoth on Windows with Dev-Cpp, Code::Blocks

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

McShark

Re: How to compile Wesnoth on Windows with Dev-Cpp

Post by McShark »

Updated project files again [newer versions in trunk available]
Last edited by McShark on February 24th, 2009, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilor
Inactive Developer

Post by ilor »

A note to McShark (and possibly other interested people) -- the VC9 project file in trunk got modified slightly with a new build typea and missing header(s), so it'd be a good idea if you got in sync.
McShark

Post by McShark »

Project files without ai_phyton (was removed from SVN)
Files removed because in SVN
When these files are commited, please add the following lines to wesnoth/trunk/.svn-ignore: manual, DLLs (these two are included in the fresh released 1.6beta2 and should be ignored)

There were some open questions left:
McShark wrote:[...]

4. Dev-C++ and Code::Blocks are compiled with -O3, does anything speaks against changing the optimization flags from Visual Studio to /Ox (now they are on /O2)?

5. Should we keep Dev-C++ at all? Is anybody here using it (and don't want to change to the actively developed Code::Blocks) anymore?

[...]
Greetings, McShark
Last edited by McShark on March 7th, 2009, 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
loonycyborg
Windows Packager

Post by loonycyborg »

McShark wrote: When these files are commited, please add the following lines to wesnoth/trunk/.svn-ignore: manual, DLLs (these two are included in the fresh released 1.6beta2 and should be ignored)
:? Could you explain what's the point of ignoring them? These dirs are indeed installed by the installer, but they have nothing to do with trunk.
"meh." - zookeeper
McShark

Post by McShark »

I thought of the people installing a version and checking out trunk in the same folder later on. The folder manual could be accessed from doc/manual, therefore one could delete the folder when checking out trunk (if one knows that). The folder Lib is created by the installer, too and is included in .svnignore, the folder DLLs not. I think they either should be both ignored or be both not ignored. (What are they for?)
loonycyborg
Windows Packager

Post by loonycyborg »

McShark wrote:I thought of the people installing a version and checking out trunk in the same folder later on.
Why would one do that?
The folder Lib is created by the installer, too and is included in .svnignore, the folder DLLs not. I think they either should be both ignored or be both not ignored. (What are they for?)
They contain python standard library, needed by python ais. They were removed in latest releases, but may return in 1.7 if someone decides to add sane support for python scripting.
"meh." - zookeeper
McShark

Post by McShark »

Thanks for the information, here are newer project files.
Files removed because in SVN
Last edited by McShark on March 7th, 2009, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-stf-

Post by -stf- »

McShark wrote:5. Should we keep Dev-C++ at all? Is anybody here using it (and don't want to change to the actively developed Code::Blocks) anymore?
Yes, I am using it because new Visual Studio seems not working under Win98SE anymore but Dev-Cpp works pretty well. Also there is no chance to run WinXP on PI-166MMX processor (even with 256MB RAM), i'm currently using for testing purpose (normally I'm using OpenSUSE 10.3 on Pentium-M 1,7GHz with 1GB RAM). That is currently my only machine with Windows system, but needed for some programs that doesn't run well on Linux. Also, I don't want spend money for WinXP, if I don't want it at all, mostly I need also to run DOS programs, for which there are no alternatives in both WinXP/Linux and these doesn't run in any type of emulation as these need direct access to hardware of PC. Currently I am using this machine also for developing SXCollection addon (to be sure, it's code is optimized to run also on slower machines - i know, it's a bit too slow, but 333MHz Celeron processor with WinXP and same amount of RAM is comparable to this one with Win98SE include unofficial Win98SE servicepack).
McShark

Post by McShark »

OK, this could be an argument. If I'm right, BfW only works on Win98SE if KernelEx is installed. Does Codeblocks work with KernelEx, too? I previously used Dev-Cpp, too, but Codeblocks is really better. (After installing there is no big configuration or necessary downloads, just configure it to use the dev-Cpp paths [as mentioned somewhere in this thread].)

stf: You do compile and play BfW on this machine, don't you?
-stf-

Post by -stf- »

I compiled 1.4.4 or 1.4.6 (if I remember) because binary version didn't worked on Win98SE, 1.4.7 works well (except czech translation, but maybe I did installation wrong and it's not big problem for me anyway). Now, I will try, if I will be able to compile 1.5.12 version and run it (I don't have KernelEx installed, if I remember). First I need to find out, what I'll exactly need to add to be able compile without errors (dependencies).
McShark

Post by McShark »

Wesnoth will not work in Win98SE without KernelEx. Try to install first KernelEx, then Wesnoth 1.5.13.
If it works, there is maybe a reason to keep DevCpp. Please try to run Codeblocks on the Win98 machine if you've installed CodeBlocks.
McShark

New support for scripting language lua

Post by McShark »

These additional files are needed (usable for both VC and MinGW):

Download lua binaries and includes and unpack content of includes to your includes-folder, the two dlls into wesnoth folder and the two lib-files to your lib-folder.
Compile with the new project files attached.

Another change: I found the option to create folders in Dev-Cpp. Therefore, all headers are included later in the Dev-Cpp project files and the file structure can be seen there, as it was already in Code::Blocks and VC9, too.

From now on, I will not compile wesnoth with Dev-Cpp. If you have problems, post here and I will have a look at them (-stf-: did you tried to compile recent wesnoth version with KernelEx on Win98?). Name suffixes for the exe-files will be removed with the next version (they were used in Code::Blocks and Dev-Cpp).
Last edited by McShark on March 24th, 2009, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McShark

Post by McShark »

Update of project files [deleted - newer versions in svn]
Last edited by McShark on April 17th, 2009, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-stf-

Re: New support for scripting language lua

Post by -stf- »

McShark wrote:(-stf-: did you tried to compile recent wesnoth version with KernelEx on Win98?).
I tried compile without KernelEx, but i have problem to compile latest version of gtk working in Win98 with pango in MinGW.
KernelEx is causing Explorer hangs up after some programs start (not sure which one causes that or if it's related to installed unofficial service pack 2.1b4cz for win98se), so I can't use it. Wesnoth 1.4.7+svn compiles fine but 1.6 needs newer gtk with pango, which I can't compile because of problem with unexpected characters in source - not sure if I can fix it). If pango and pangocairo could be disabled and older gtk used, it would be fine.
McShark

Post by McShark »

OK, I think I don't update Dev-Cpp project files any more because Code::Blocks works really better and recent SVN seems not to be usable on Win98, even with KernelEx and unofficial service packs.

Since VC9 seems to be done by crab/ilor/mordante (and because I don't use VC9 to compile Wesnoth) I don't do changes to these project files, too.