A Possibly Controversial New Feature

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

A Possibly Controversial New Feature

Post by Dave »

I've added a new feature which has been discussed before, and most people didn't seem to like the sound of :)

You can access a 'status table' from the main menu or through alt-S. It will show the gold, income, upkeep, and units of each side in the game.

I think it's a good idea, because I count how many villages and units each side has sometimes anyway, and it just saves counting effort, since those things are known anyway. Perhaps it shouldn't show the gold; we'll have to see about that.

If the feature really isn't liked after it has been tried, it can of course be removed. We'll see. It could also be included only in multiplayer but not the campaign.

Let the controversial discussion begin :)

David
gandalf

Re: A Possibly Controversial New Feature

Post by gandalf »

some comments.
All obvious things, or things that can be calculated by hand, should be shown with the Alt-s
Enemy gold should not be shown.

Another new feature... introduce cities, i.e. villages with more income!
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

In order to quieten howls of outrage, I have made it so one cannot see the gold of enemies, only of themselves and their allies.

David
Czaxx

info about opponents

Post by Czaxx »

Hi all,

Possibly a way to reconcile the issue of knowing about the enemy's staus is to introduce a new unit - the spy. I was thinking that the information about the enemy's status could be available when a spy occupies any enemy city, however unlike other units when the spy occupies an enemy city the ownership stays with the enemy. When an enemy unit occupies the city that the spy occupies - for healing or whatever - either a battle ensues (the spy having somewhat pissweak attack/defence) or the spy is automatically forfeited - whatever is best for game balance. Another possibilty is that spies have a certain chance of being discovered (and therefore forfeited) each turn (without the movement of an opposing unit to the compromised city) that can be increased by the purchase of counter-intelligence units. These units that would not show up as movable units - but would increase the chance of a random enemy spy being destroyed. Anyhow, its just a possible suggestion after a few too many Boag's Draughts on Friday night :)

BTW wesnoth is looking *very* polished now - serious congrats to the developers!

Cheers,

Czaxx