Latest CVS and Saved Games

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Latest CVS and Saved Games

Post by Dave »

I have committed some changes to CVS which changes the way scenarios are structured.

The implication of this is that all current saved games will be invalidated and unable to load.

We will work on a Perl script that can correct current saved games.

This change will allow new campaigns to be created easily. If you have an idea for a campaign you want to do, let us know!

David
yawningdog

Post by yawningdog »

"If you have an idea for a campaign you want to do, let us know!"

Playing the bad guys is the obvious choice. :)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

yawningdog wrote:"If you have an idea for a campaign you want to do, let us know!"

Playing the bad guys is the obvious choice. :)
I think an Orcish or evil Human campaign could be good :)

I don't think an undead campaign would be good, because although undead make great enemies, I don't feel that one can make much of a story based around undead protagonists. (But if anyone wants to try to prove me wrong, they are welcome to do so! :) )
yawningdog

Post by yawningdog »

Well, I feel exactly the other way about the undead. I think an undead campaign could be cool as hell. Playing a necromancer offers lots of oportunities for scenario design, storytelling, new game rules, heroes, units, gameplay... :)
Dobob

Post by Dobob »

Would there be an option to make different ruleset for different campain (mostly different unit stats) ? If yes, it would create confusion, mostly for multiplayer. If no, it could be hard to balance the ruleset to fit the new campain without interfering with the old one.

One example of the balancing problem I find is the troll whelp : he can get a new level relatively easily and turn in the more powerful troll, which is one of the reason I find him dangerous when hanging near long ranged unit.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

There would possibly be one ruleset for campaigns, one ruleset for multiplayer.

I don't think there'd be different rulesets for different campaigns, although it would be possible to do.

If someone wanted to make a very dramatic 'mod' of the game, they could just replace the entire data/ directory with their own game settings. We could distribute it as a user-created mod.

David
lala

Post by lala »

is it possible to order the saved files in the 'load' window chronologically instead of alphabetacilly? (last safe first??)
Sofronius

Post by Sofronius »

lala wrote:is it possible to order the saved files in the 'load' window chronologically instead of alphabetacilly? (last safe first??)
It will be possible. Then, we can do it as default ordering.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

lala wrote:is it possible to order the saved files in the 'load' window chronologically instead of alphabetacilly? (last safe first??)
It's on our list of tasks :)
ja-el

Post by ja-el »

Is it possible to make mixed campaigns, e.g. begin as human and turn to an undead?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

ja-el wrote:Is it possible to make mixed campaigns, e.g. begin as human and turn to an undead?
Well sure, as in you could play a whole series of scenarios as one side, and then suddenly have a leader who is of the undead, and be able to recruit all undead....but, what would happen to all the units in your recall list?

David
ja-el

Post by ja-el »

well then two things i'd like to request :)
first have a human leader which is a wizard/mage not a fighter and second make it possible to lose the units on the recall list, perhaps i might sometime come up with a campaign then :)
oh third and most important, when you click on campaign there should be a box which allows you to choose one (and the directory try might need to change, e.g. a directory campaigns/ and then campaigns/bfw or something)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

ja-el wrote:first have a human leader which is a wizard/mage not a fighter
Simply just use an Arch Mage, Elder Mage, Great Mage, or Mage of Light as your leader...

ja-el wrote: and second make it possible to lose the units on the recall list,
Okay. That wouldn't be hard at all.
ja-el wrote: oh third and most important, when you click on campaign there should be a box which allows you to choose one (and the directory try might need to change, e.g. a directory campaigns/ and then campaigns/bfw or something)
Yes I am planning on something like this, just as soon as someone else starts developing a campaign :)

David